#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP

Jon Fitch UFC 107Jon Fitch is one of the most successful fighters to ever set foot in the Octagon; yet he is also one of the most criticized for having a lackluster fighting style.

Fighters that are good at planting their opposition on the mat and working a ground and pound attack are often labeled “boring.” And Jon Fitch at times has had that label plastered across his forehead.

Never mind that his overall record stands at 24-4-1, while his in-Octagon dossier reads 14-2-1. Just disregard that Fitch counts among his victories the likes of Thiago Alves, Diego Sanchez, Paulo Thiago, Mike Pierce, and, at UFC 153 on Saturday night, Erick Silva.

“People complain about Jon Fitch laying on people?” questioned UFC president Dana White following UFC 153. “This is mixed martial arts; your job is to keep him from doing it.

“Tonight, Erick Silva was doing that. Fitch was grinding him against the fence the way that he does and Silva got out and countered. It was a back-and-forth fight. Both guys looked awesome. It was a war.”

Fitch said heading into the fight that he wanted to put on a Fight of the Night performance and that’s exactly what he did, literally. Not only did White sing he and Silva’s praises, he awarded them the UFC 153 Fight of the Night, which meant an extra $70,000 bonus for each of them.

“I gotta give credit to my opponent, Erick Silva,” remarked Fitch at the post-fight press conference. “Great fights are made when both guys are coming in to finish and take risks. Tonight, he was the perfect opponent for me to kind of show what I’m really about, kind of restart my career, and give myself a fresh breath, help my family out and make some money.”

What Fitch is referring to, as he explained on MMAWeekly Radio leading up to UFC 153, is that the last couple years of his career have been pretty heavily burdened by injuries and other circumstances that have kept him out of the Octagon quite a bit. Saturday night’s fight was only Fitch’s fifth since 2009.

“We don’t make millions of dollars as it is, but if you’re not fighting, you’re not getting paid,” he said. “So things have been a little bit rough in the bank account.”

So just getting back in the Octagon was a financial load off of Fitch’s mind, but to score a Fight of the Night bonus on top of his show and win money certainly puts Fitch back in a much happier place.

“It gives me a lot of comfort, gives me space, not have to worry about money. I can just focus on training and doing what I love.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC news and updates.

Comments

Hendricks feels 'reborn' after training with Jackson-Wink for UFC 217

“All I can say is that I’m excited, I can’t wait to see improvements I have made and how much better have I gotten in just four weeks. That’s what I’m excited about. I’m getting reborn in a sense," H read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 results: Brian Kelleher finally puts away tough Damian Stasiak

Brian Kelleher had to struggle through some early adversity against Damian Stasiak, and then he had to find a way to put away an extremely tough opponent.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Derek Brunson believes Luke Rockhold puts him 1 fight from title shot

Credit UFC light heavyweight champion and commentator Daniel Cormier for bringing middleweight Derek Brunson out of his shell.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Marcin Tybura sees major opportunity in UFC-Sydney headliner vs. Fabricio Werdum

Marcin Tybura is the underdog vs. Fabricio Werdum, but as Tybura puts it, “if you want to challenge yourself, you pick the better opponents.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 results: Frank Camacho outslugs Damien Brown in 15-minute brawl

• 10 hours ago

In a no-brainer “Fight of the Night” candidate, Frank Camacho and Damien Brown beat each other up for 15 minutes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Sao Paulo winner Thiago 'Marreta' Santos feels he's on the rise, wants Derek Brunson next

At 32, UFC middleweight Thiago “Marreta” Santos sees no point in holding out for high-ranked names or headlining opportunities. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos was probably UFC Fight Night 119's biggest winner

A win, a “Fight of the Night” bonus and the news that he was going to be a father? Good luck trying to top Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos’ Saturday night.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

This is How UFC Fighters Get Their Halloween On! | MMAWeekly.com

Here's how UFC fighters and other mixed martial artists are getting their Halloween on for 2017! We'll be updating regularly. read news >>

With small UFC 217 lineup shuffle, OSP vs. Anderson elevated to FS1 prelims

With a small change to the preliminary card, the lineup is again set for Saturday’s UFC 217 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs St-Pierre Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine all three title fights, as well as several other matchups on the card, to see who has the edge and who might be primed for an upset at UFC 217: Bisping vs. S read news >>