#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Ovince St. Preux #Conor McGregor #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

Johny Hendricks got the job done Saturday night, but not without overcoming a bit of adversity.

Following his hard-fought split decision victory over Josh Koscheck in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 3, Hendricks revealed that he fought off two illnesses leading up to the contest at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

“I guess I had God on my side. I had a tough training camp. These last two weeks, I was battling some mean stuff, but my coaches kept me positive,” Hendricks told Fox Sports after his win. “I had bronchitis, and then mono -- two great ones to have three weeks before the fight, right?”

Despite taking ill, Hendricks said he never seriously considered pulling out of the fight. Though he would walk away with a razor-thin judges’ decision, Hendricks did not have an easy night, first receiving an accidental eye poke and then absorbing a barrage of punches in the first round.

“I did get poked in the eye and was seeing double,” Hendricks said. “I had to close one of my eyes to see where he was at, but that’s fighting. I just stayed strong and stayed focused on what I needed to do.”

Hendricks battled back to close out round one and fought Koscheck tooth-and-nail for an additional 10 minutes. Koscheck managed to secure a takedown to close out the final frame, but Hendricks nonetheless received the split nod. The win marked the fourth consecutive win for the two-time NCAA Division I wrestling champion, who bested Koscheck’s longtime American Kickboxing Academy teammate Jon Fitch in December.

“Both [Koscheck and Fitch] are tough fighters,” said Hendricks. “I feel blessed to be in same Octagon as them. Now I just have to go home and be prepared for a title shot. I fought hard tonight and got my hand raised.”

The defeat snapped a two-fight winning streak for Koscheck. Though disappointed in the result, the former welterweight title challenger did not bemoan the judges’ verdict post-fight.

“I’m not one to ever bitch about decisions,” said Koscheck. “I thought I won the first and third [rounds], but apparently the judges saw it differently. It was a good fight, and I felt like I ended the fight on top. It is what it is, and I live to fight another day.”

The victory now secure, Hendricks may look at future opportunities to move up the welterweight ladder. The Oklahoma State alumnus has won eight of his nine Octagon outings, with only a 2010 decision defeat to Rick Story marring his professional record. Though he could be on the verge of challenging for the 170-pound championship, Hendricks took a patient approach when discussing his next step.

“Whenever I heal up, we’ll talk and go from there. Right now, a lot of things are going through my mind,” said Hendricks. “I need to get away and go spend time with my family before I do anything. Right now all I want to do is go home and spend time with my wife.”

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Amanda Nunes knows UFC is punishing her with co-main demotion, isn't worried about it

The women’s bantamweight champion simply plans on going out and defending her title at UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

DWCS winner Julian Marquez to make debut vs. Vitor Miranda at UFC on FOX 26

How will Julian Marquez follow up his ferocious win on Dana White’s Contender Series?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko's First Bout (UFC 215 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko meet for the second time in the co-main event at UFC 215. Watch their first fight from UFC 196. read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Thiago Alves Out of Co-Main Event Fight Against Mike Perry at UFC in Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

Thiago Alves is out of his fight this Saturday night against Mike Perry in a bout that was scheduled as the co-main event at UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh. Sources close to the situation confirmed Al read news >>

Claudia Gadelha vs. Jessica Andrade: UFC Japan Joe Rogan Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Joe Rogan breaks down the exciting co-main event between Claudia Gadelha and Jessica Andrade going down at UFC Fight Night Japan on Friday. read news >>

Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

December’s UFC on FOX 26 lineup has a few flyweight addition: former title challenger Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jessica Andrade Bloodies and Batters Claudia Gadelha in Co-Main Event at UFC in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

• 17 hours ago

Jessica Andrade made a very strong statement with her win on Friday night as she bloodied and battered former title contender Claudia Gadelha en route to a lopsided decision in the co-main event at U read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: More like 'Ovince Saint Flue': Yushin Okami put out cold in first

• 17 hours ago

Ovince Saint Preux put Yushin Okami to sleep in the UFC-Japan main event with a Von Flue choke – his third such rare finish in the UFC. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>