#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

It looks like the UFC wants to match welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre against Nick Diaz next, but Johny Hendricks believes he should get the shot.

Hendricks has won five straight, including knockouts of Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann. On Thursday, though, UFC President Dana White said St. Pierre would like to fight Diaz next.

“If he’d have beat [Carlos] Condit, he would have been fighting GSP at that time and you’ve also got to think, Nick Diaz did have a chance to fight GSP a year and a half ago. He didn’t show up to his press conference,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show prior to White’s comments on Diaz likely getting the next shot. “He’s had two shots to get GSP. All I’m asking is for one. That’s all that I’m asking for, and the thing is, the more that [St. Pierre’s camp] is talking about these other people and not wanting to fight me, it’s just giving me more and more confidence.”

Diaz did miss a press conference in September 2011 and was pulled from a title shot against St. Pierre. He could have also earned a crack at the champion by beating Condit this past February, but he lost the bout via unanimous decision. After that loss he tested positive for marijuana metabolites, and the Nevada Athletic Commission suspended him for a year.

“If he gets to take it after a year layoff and a loss, then it is what it is,” Hendricks said of Diaz getting the opportunity to fight St. Pierre. “You know what I mean? Enough being said, right? Here I’ve been in the last year, I’ve fought three guys in the top five and I’ve beat them all.”

Diaz has been an outspoken critic of St. Pierre, who in return hasn’t hid his dislike for the potential challenger. Hendricks doesn’t think that alone warrants a title fight, though.

“I can be the first one that can beat GSP,” he said. “I don’t think you have to sit there and talk trash. I don’t think I should have to. That’s why I like this sport, is that it’s not about who can talk the most trash. It’s how good your performances are, right? That’s what I really do like about this sport. You’re only as good as your last fight, and nothing else matters. Of course you do have to ask for the fights, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve been asking since Josh Koscheck. I want a shot at GSP. Nothing else matters but that right there because he has the belt.”

If Hendricks gets passed over for Diaz, he seems willing to wait for the following title shot rather than fight again in the meantime.

“You can only hope for it, and there’s only so much that I can do to get a title shot,” Hendricks said. “I don’t want to be one of those people that has to be a jerk or whatever to somebody to get it. If they bypass me, guess what? I can wait. I got better in three months. I felt like I have improved a little bit on my striking and I improved a lot on my jiu-jitsu just in three months. If I have more time to wait, then guess what? I’m going to try to get that much better.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:46).

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Today, in gross-stuff news: UFC lightweight Dan Hooker's post-surgery knee

Dan Hooker’s right knee brought us excitement in June, when it delivered a knockout of Ross Pearson en route to a $50,000 bonus. His left one, however, isn’t doing too well at the moment.Filed under: read news >>

UFC 216 finalized: With Johnson-Borg addition, 1 bout moves from PPV to UFC Fight Pass

With the addition of a new title fight, next month’s UFC 216 lineup has experienced a slight shuffle.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Paige VanZant wrote a book, and here's the cover

UFC fighter, “Chopped” winner, “Dancing with the Stars” runner-up and now author? Paige VanZant is making the most of her time in the spotlight.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Betting Odds: Okami vs. Saint Preux Preview, Prediction

The UFC's return to Japan follows the theme of "the bigger the name, the bigger the odds" as UFC Fight Night 117 goes Friday night at the Saitama Super Arena. The card was originally topped by light read news >>

Why the UFC? Why not kickboxing? UFC-Japan's Gokhan Saki says fans are 'going to be in shock'

Before UFC-Japan, Gokhan Saki explains why he’s returning to fighting – this time with the UFC – after a decorated kickboxing career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 pre-event facts: Jessica Andrade 1st female with a dozen UFC fights

Check out 40 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC Fight Night 117, which features an Ovince Saint Preux vs. Yushin Okami main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ferguson vs. Lee Remains Headliner at UFC 216 Over Johnson vs. Borg | MMAWeekly.com

The addition of a second world title fight will not affect the UFC 216 main event as the final bout order for the card was released this week. Tony Ferguson will battle Kevin Lee with the interim lig read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 26 - Episode 4 Preview

In tonight’s episode, No. 3 overall seed and longtime UFC bantamweight Lauren Murphy will look to keep that trend alive as she takes on No. 14 seed Nicco Montano, who enters the competition with a 3- read news >>

Introducing Gokhan Saki - MMA's Newest Wrecking Machine

Gokhan Saki is ready to make his UFC debut in just his second professional mixed martial arts fight and first since 2004. The decorated pro kickboxer is planning to make a big impact when he starts t read news >>