#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55 #TJ Dillashaw

Johny HendricksJohny Hendricks has been lobbying for a shot at UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre for the better part of the last two years.

Having defeated contender after contender – including knocking out Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann – the two-time national wrestling champion finally got everyone to declare him the No. 1 contender… including St-Pierre and UFC president Dana White.

The one question mark was: What if Anderson Silva defeats Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July? Would GSP finally take a superfight with the Spider?

But the superfight talk has died down. St-Pierre, amidst movie roles, said that he needs to fight Hendricks.

“I need to do stuff in my division before I take (a superfight) because (my division) has moved now,” said St-Pierre in a recent Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

The details of a St-Pierre vs. Hendricks fight are still very much up in the air, although White recently put a moving target on it.

He said the fight would “probably be in the fall.”

That’s fine by Hendricks. He’s keeping his calendar cleared through the end of the year.

“Pretty much wherever he wants, whenever he wants, that’s what I’m gonna do,” Hendricks said recently. “I just want it by December. Before January 1, I wanna fight him.”

Hendricks is confident that he has the answer to the Georges St-Pierre riddle. He’s got the wrestling to counter St-Pierre’s, and he has the power punch to finish the job.

But he knows that even if he does finish the job, he’ll likely be called back for a repeat performance.

“I’m gonna have to beat him twice. Unless I knock him out. If I manhandle him for two round and I knock him out, then there won’t be a rematch,” Hendricks explained. “But if it’s a close fight or I go out and knock him out in the first minute, yeah, there’ll be a rematch.”

That’s okay. He is so ready to face St-Pierre that the prospect of a twofer doesn’t detract from his excitement.

“I’m so excited to finally get to the Octagon and look across and there’s Georges. That’s all I can think about. That’s all I dream about every day. Words can’t explain how excited I am.”

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Fedor Blasts 'Judas' Brother Alexander Emelianenko | MMAWeekly.com

There is a chasm between Fedor Emelianenko and his brother, Alexander, and it only appears to be getting wider. read news >>

Jon Jones Already Preparing for a Return? | MMAWeekly.com

It appears as if Jon Jones might already be preparing himself for another run in the Octagon. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre on Michael Bisping title fight: 'There is nothing bigger than this'

Georges St-Pierre appears in a very calm mood heading into his return to the octagon against Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217's Johny Hendricks reports this time he's not sick, not fat – just chillin'

Johny Hendricks claims all systems are a go for a must-win fight against Paulo Borrachinha at UFC 217. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Johny Hendricks' comical UFC 217 weigh-in included an underwear disclaimer

Even when he makes weight, Johny Hendricks knows how to bring some drama to a UFC weigh-in. This time, though, he also brought some laughs.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 results: Paulo Costa continues to shine, stops Johny Hendricks in second

Paulo Costa got a name change earlier this week, but it certainly didn’t affect his performance.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Paulo Costa Batters Johny Hendricks to Remain Undefeated (UFC 217 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Paulo Costa wants to be the next Brazilian legend in mixed martial arts and the unbeaten middleweight added to his legacy on Saturday by finishing former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks on the read news >>

Dana White: Robert Whittaker is next for new UFC champ Georges St-Pierre

It appears a title-unification bout with interim champion Robert Whittaker is next up for recently crowned titleholder Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson Will Face Darren Till in London | MMAWeekly.com

A welterweight main event appears headed for London in 2018. read news >>

Rizin Boss Claims Mirko Cro Cop Returning for a 'Few More' Fights Before Retiring... Again | MMAWeekly.com

It appears that Mirko Cro Cop's most recent retirement, which he claimed "really is the end," isn't really the end. read news >>