#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

Johny Hendricks didn’t get the matchup he wanted, but he will have a fight on his hands March 16 when he meets Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158.

“It sucks, but it is what it is,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday.

Hendricks wanted a shot against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. The same night he’ll be fighting Ellenberger, though, GSP will be defending his title against Nick Diaz.

“I’ve done my campaigning,” Hendricks said. “I’ve done all I can do, and now that you have Jake Ellenberger in front of you, you can’t keep dwelling on the past. Right now if I don’t focus on Jake Ellenberger, then he could go out there and beat me just because you’re focused on something totally different. You’ve got to know Jake Ellenberger is a tough fight. It sucks that you do all this work and you’re not there, but guess what? It’s not the end of the world. I’m still able to fight. If I win this one, then I know I’ll be right where I was.”

But if he loses, Hendricks could slide down the welterweight ladder. This close to a title shot, it’s not a drop he wants to make.

“[Ellenberger] has shown that he can knock people out, and whenever you have that kind of power, you have to respect it,” Hendricks said. “You have to know, ‘OK, this guy is a heavy-handed guy.’ … That’s what makes fighting people like that a little bit more of a challenge, a fun challenge, because no matter what happens -- it might be the second or third round -- you still have to worry about everything. It makes it that much more exciting.”

Hendricks will have plenty of time to prepare for his March date with Ellenberger, but he had actually already been training for St. Pierre.

“We watched footage every day,” he said. “We were training stuff every day for about a week and a half before the news came out. I was excited. I thought I was going to have to compete against Anderson Silva to fight [St. Pierre]. That’s a tough person to compete against, and here it is somebody in my division that beat me to it. It is what it is.”

It’s another obstacle, but Hendricks is resolving himself to the task ahead. He considers Ellenberger just as difficult an opponent as St. Pierre and a “little bit more dangerous.”

“[With] Georges St. Pierre you don’t have to worry about knockout punches,” Hendricks said. “You’ve just got to worry about getting taken down. [With] Ellenberger, you’ve got to worry about the punch and also his takedowns. I’ve fought a couple of guys just like that, so I think I’m prepared.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 59:55).

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Georges St-Pierre: If Michael Bisping expects same ol' GSP, 'it's a big mistake on his part'

Georges St-Pierre vows to come out aggressively looking to finish middleweight champ Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Will Michael Bisping really retire? Would 'GSP' really defend?

Will Michael Bisping really retire, or is he just trying to tease out some extra pay-per-view buys? And if Georges St-Pierre wins the belt, will he really take on a top contender next? All that and m read news >>

Bellator 183's Javy Ayala admires Roy Nelson but won't let 'surreal' matchup distract him

Javy Ayala said he’ll beat up Roy Nelson, one of his MMA hervoes, for as long as necessary to get a win at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Floyd Mayweather says he didn't knock out Conor McGregor to protect him from brain damage

Floyd Mayweather apparently didn’t want to inflict more damage than was necessary to defeat Conor McGregor.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 medical suspensions: No tapping gets Yushin Okami 45 days

UFC veteran Yushin Okami didn’t appear to have much choice in the matter, but his lack of tap against Ovince Saint Preux brings a 45-day suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping has spies watching GSP, promises first-round KO at UFC 217

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) puts his belt on the line against former welterweight title holder and all-time MMA great Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) in the read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217 press conference with GSP, watch Michael Bisping's best trash-talk

If you’re going to be in Las Vegas next week, you’ve got a chance to see UFC 217’s headliners – and budding rivals – in person.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping to GSP: 'I'm Gonna Really Enjoy Making You Quit' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping has talked often about making the biggest payday of his career when he faces Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 but the money he makes won't count for much if he doesn't walk out with the m read news >>

Johny Hendricks Training at Jackson-Winkeljohn Academy Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks knows he might be in a do-or-die situation heading into his next fight at UFC 217. That's why Hendricks is pulling out all the stops to ensure he shows up read news >>

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>