Johny Hendricks didn’t get the matchup he wanted, but he will have a fight on his hands March 16 when he meets Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158.

“It sucks, but it is what it is,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday.

Hendricks wanted a shot against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. The same night he’ll be fighting Ellenberger, though, GSP will be defending his title against Nick Diaz.

“I’ve done my campaigning,” Hendricks said. “I’ve done all I can do, and now that you have Jake Ellenberger in front of you, you can’t keep dwelling on the past. Right now if I don’t focus on Jake Ellenberger, then he could go out there and beat me just because you’re focused on something totally different. You’ve got to know Jake Ellenberger is a tough fight. It sucks that you do all this work and you’re not there, but guess what? It’s not the end of the world. I’m still able to fight. If I win this one, then I know I’ll be right where I was.”

But if he loses, Hendricks could slide down the welterweight ladder. This close to a title shot, it’s not a drop he wants to make.

“[Ellenberger] has shown that he can knock people out, and whenever you have that kind of power, you have to respect it,” Hendricks said. “You have to know, ‘OK, this guy is a heavy-handed guy.’ … That’s what makes fighting people like that a little bit more of a challenge, a fun challenge, because no matter what happens -- it might be the second or third round -- you still have to worry about everything. It makes it that much more exciting.”

Hendricks will have plenty of time to prepare for his March date with Ellenberger, but he had actually already been training for St. Pierre.

“We watched footage every day,” he said. “We were training stuff every day for about a week and a half before the news came out. I was excited. I thought I was going to have to compete against Anderson Silva to fight [St. Pierre]. That’s a tough person to compete against, and here it is somebody in my division that beat me to it. It is what it is.”

It’s another obstacle, but Hendricks is resolving himself to the task ahead. He considers Ellenberger just as difficult an opponent as St. Pierre and a “little bit more dangerous.”

“[With] Georges St. Pierre you don’t have to worry about knockout punches,” Hendricks said. “You’ve just got to worry about getting taken down. [With] Ellenberger, you’ve got to worry about the punch and also his takedowns. I’ve fought a couple of guys just like that, so I think I’m prepared.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 59:55).

UFC Fight Night 105's Johny Hendricks now serious about retirement talk if 185 doesn't work out

Johny Hendricks has talked about the possibility of retirement before. It came recently, in fact.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Jorge Masvidal: Joe Rogan UFC Denver Preview | MMAWeekly.com

UFC commentator Joe Rogan previews the co-main event matchup between Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone and Jorge Masvidal at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver on Saturday. read news >>

Dominick Cruz dismisses Raphael Assuncao's callout, says next fight will be for UFC belt

Dominick Cruz didn’t get an immediate rematch after he lost the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in December. However, if the former champ is to be believed, his next fight will st read news >>

Johny Hendricks to Fight at Middleweight Against Hector Lombard | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC On February 19th, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, plays host to UFC Fight Night Lewis vs. Browne (otherwise known as UFC Fight Night 105), featuring a hard-hitting heavyw read news >>

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>

Mike Jackson to CM Punk: 'Let's see who the real can is'

Mike Jackson didn’t show up to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event to push a fight with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. He was just there to work.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Patrick Cote wants to finally get down with Jake Ellenberger at UFC 210 in Buffalo

Patrick Cote may be turning 37 later this month, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to slow down and call it quits on his MMA career. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 Odds: De Randamie vs. Holm Betting Preview, Card Analysis

Saturday’s UFC 208 card will feature the first women’s featherweight title matchup, as Germaine de Randamie (6-3) is listed as a small -125 favorite (bet $125 to win $100) to claim the belt over form read news >>

Holly Holm Sees a Rematch with Germaine de Randamie as 'Warranted' | MMAWeekly.com

Holly Holm’s evening at UFC 208 didn’t end like she wanted. She thought she won a five-round fight and would be crowned featherweight champion. read news >>

Loser Leaves Town: Johny Hendricks and Hector Lombard Fight for Their Jobs in Halifax | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC Back in April of 2014, the UFC welterweight division was a very different place. At that time, a ferocious Johny Hendricks had just claimed the vacant welterweight t read news >>