#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva

Johny Hendricks could become the top welterweight title contender if he can get past Martin Kampmann on Nov. 17 at UFC 154.

Ahead of the matchup, Hendricks joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, his striking and more.

On whether he’ll need to stay standing or take the fight to the ground to beat Kampmann: “It’s a little bit of both. It’s a little bit of maybe mixing it up, maybe just staying on the feet. The way that I see myself winning is not really having just one game plan. It’s going in there and trying to move freely, meaning keeping your mind open, adapting second by second. Whenever I’m out there, I don’t figure out anything but adapting moment by moment, punch by punch.”

On whether ring rust will be a factor: “I really don’t believe in that. When you train every day, it should be like you’re training for a fight. I don’t believe in it just because in every sport, you have to take a little bit of time off. Whenever you come back, as long as you practiced and as long as you trained like you’re training for a fight, that shouldn’t be a factor.”

On the improvements he’s made under striking coach Steven Wright: “You don’t have to have that world-renowned coach. What I believe in is, if you believe in who you’re with, if you trust them with everything that you’ve got, that’s what it takes.”

On what Wright has helped him with specifically: “He sharpened me up a little bit, made me where I could use more than just two things, punches and kicks. Now I’m able to use knees and stuff like that, which is always nice.”

On hot yoga and how it helps him: “Staying flexible and getting flexible are very important to me because the more flexible I get, it seems the stronger I get. The more that I can get my muscles to relax and to loosen up, I feel like I’m getting stronger and stronger and stronger and I’m not even lifting weights. Not only that, but also yoga helps keep me injury-free. Not only that, it can help your jiu-jitsu out. There’s a lot of things that yoga can translate into mixed martial arts. I started doing it, I love it, and I’m going to continue doing it.”

On his success in MMA: “I had never fought before in my life. I knew that I could be a good competitor, but I did not think that I could learn it as fast as I did.”

On his beard: “The goal is November 17. After November 17 it’s going to get shaved definitely because man, it’s been so hot down here. … The beard will definitely come off and I’ll be clean-shaved for at least a little bit.”

On whether people will recognize him without it: “My kids don’t. Probably most people wouldn’t just because whenever I shave, I look like I’m 18 years old. I look totally different.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:28:46).

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Johny Hendricks Training at Jackson-Winkeljohn Academy Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks knows he might be in a do-or-die situation heading into his next fight at UFC 217. That's why Hendricks is pulling out all the stops to ensure he shows up read news >>

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Derrick Lewis' plan vs. Fabricio Werdum? 'Swing until hopefully I hit something'

UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis’ back isn’t 100 percent, but he’s still confident he’ll beat ex-champ Fabricio Werdum at UFC 216 with his trademark aggression.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cody Stamann had a plan after wondering why Tom Duquesnoy was getting all the UFC 216 hype

Despite equal records, all the hype for bantamweight UFC prospects seemed to be on Tom Duquesnoy going into UFC 216, not Cody Stamann. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Lyoto Machida, Johny Hendricks, Michael Johnson

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Lyoto Machida, Johny Hendricks and Michael Johnson.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Johny Hendricks opens up on move to Jackson Wink MMA

Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks knew he could no longer continue down the same path after his latest loss.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2541 with Lyoto Machida, Johny Hendricks, Michael Johnson

Stream or download Wednesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Lyoto Machida, Johny Hendricks and Michael Johnson.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator plan: Shlemenko, title, MacDonald, light heavyweight – then retire?

Gegard Mousasi sees endless possibilities for his Bellator career. But it all starts with Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Darren Till's simple plan? Be the 'greatest fighter that ever fought in MMA'

• 9 hours ago

Darren Till’s immediate plans? To knock out Donald Cerrone in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 headliner. After that? “I want to be remembered as the greatest fighter that ever fought in MMA.”Filed und read news >>