Johny Hendricks could become the top welterweight title contender if he can get past Martin Kampmann on Nov. 17 at UFC 154.

Ahead of the matchup, Hendricks joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, his striking and more.

On whether he’ll need to stay standing or take the fight to the ground to beat Kampmann: “It’s a little bit of both. It’s a little bit of maybe mixing it up, maybe just staying on the feet. The way that I see myself winning is not really having just one game plan. It’s going in there and trying to move freely, meaning keeping your mind open, adapting second by second. Whenever I’m out there, I don’t figure out anything but adapting moment by moment, punch by punch.”

On whether ring rust will be a factor: “I really don’t believe in that. When you train every day, it should be like you’re training for a fight. I don’t believe in it just because in every sport, you have to take a little bit of time off. Whenever you come back, as long as you practiced and as long as you trained like you’re training for a fight, that shouldn’t be a factor.”

On the improvements he’s made under striking coach Steven Wright: “You don’t have to have that world-renowned coach. What I believe in is, if you believe in who you’re with, if you trust them with everything that you’ve got, that’s what it takes.”

On what Wright has helped him with specifically: “He sharpened me up a little bit, made me where I could use more than just two things, punches and kicks. Now I’m able to use knees and stuff like that, which is always nice.”

On hot yoga and how it helps him: “Staying flexible and getting flexible are very important to me because the more flexible I get, it seems the stronger I get. The more that I can get my muscles to relax and to loosen up, I feel like I’m getting stronger and stronger and stronger and I’m not even lifting weights. Not only that, but also yoga helps keep me injury-free. Not only that, it can help your jiu-jitsu out. There’s a lot of things that yoga can translate into mixed martial arts. I started doing it, I love it, and I’m going to continue doing it.”

On his success in MMA: “I had never fought before in my life. I knew that I could be a good competitor, but I did not think that I could learn it as fast as I did.”

On his beard: “The goal is November 17. After November 17 it’s going to get shaved definitely because man, it’s been so hot down here. … The beard will definitely come off and I’ll be clean-shaved for at least a little bit.”

On whether people will recognize him without it: “My kids don’t. Probably most people wouldn’t just because whenever I shave, I look like I’m 18 years old. I look totally different.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:28:46).

UFC Halifax Gets New Heavyweight Headliner; Johny Hendricks Moves to Middleweight | MMAWeekly.com

After Stefan Struve had to withdraw from the UFC Fight Night 105 main event, UFC officials moved swiftly to name a new heavyweight headliner. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Johny Hendricks now serious about retirement talk if 185 doesn't work out

Johny Hendricks has talked about the possibility of retirement before. It came recently, in fact.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Amanda Nunes' plan for 2 UFC belts? 'We need to start pumping the brakes,' White says

DENVER – Amanda Nunes’ ambitious plan for a second UFC title may need to wait a little while longer. At least until she’s earned a few more defenses of her bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Dana White Wants Amanda Nunes to Pump the Breaks on Featherweight Title Talk (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White wants UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes to "pump the breaks" on her plan to challenge the inaugural women's UFC featherweight champion. read news >>

Johny Hendricks to Fight at Middleweight Against Hector Lombard | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC On February 19th, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, plays host to UFC Fight Night Lewis vs. Browne (otherwise known as UFC Fight Night 105), featuring a hard-hitting heavyw read news >>

After win over 'Zombie,' UFC Fight Night 104's Dennis Bermudez wants interim champ Holloway

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez has a plan in place after Saturday night, and it’s a good one. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko or 145 next? UFC champ Amanda Nunes lays out her game plan

HOUSTON – UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes appears to have backed away from a plan to immediately challenge for the soon-to-be-realized featherweight belt. Filed under: Featured, Featur read news >>

Niko Price's plan? Didn't include looking 'like a squirrel holding nuts in my cheeks' at UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – Niko Price picked up his second stoppage win in as many trips to the octagon at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event, but he was anything but satisfied with his performance.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov says the UFC needs to plan for Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Khabib Nurmagomedov thinks the UFC should “humble” Conor McGregor for wanting to box Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Loser Leaves Town: Johny Hendricks and Hector Lombard Fight for Their Jobs in Halifax | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC Back in April of 2014, the UFC welterweight division was a very different place. At that time, a ferocious Johny Hendricks had just claimed the vacant welterweight t read news >>