#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 118 #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #UFC 207 - Nunes vs. Rousey

Johny HendricksTop UFC welterweight contender Johny Hendricks suffered a hand injury in his UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz co-main event bout on March 16 against Carlos Condit, but is already in the gym training in preparation for an eventual showdown with champion Georges St-Pierre.

“I injured it on the cage with the last takedown of the first period. I dislocated a couple fingers and when I was walking back I couldn’t squeeze,” Hendricks explained to MMAWeekly.com content partner Knockout Radio.

“So what happened was, whenever I hit Carlos in the second period I popped them back in. And I don’t know how much you know about popping fingers back in, but it feels like you might break your hand, so I didn’t think about that. I was thinking, oh crap, I might have hurt my hand.”

The hand is now fine.

“Once I popped the fingers back into place, it was sore about three days,” he explained.  “It just scared me at that point, and when they were cutting off my gloves, it hurt as well. So those are always scary things.”

“Here’s the thing, what if GSP wanted to turn around and do another four-month fight? If that would have happened, I would have had to train a little bit with a broken hand for the fight,” added Hendricks.  “So that was my main concern, to make sure my body is healed and nothing is really wrong with it, and move on from there.”

Move on he has, returning to the gym.  He wanted to face St-Pierre in August, but that time frame seems unlikely with St-Pierre on location filming Captain America: The Winter Soldier, likely tying him up with the Marvel film project until the fall.

“I’m just going to work on things that I could have done better (in the Condit fight),” said Hendricks about his waiting period.

Hendricks is adding something extra to his training while he waits for a firm date for the St-Pierre fight.

“I’m actually going to lift during this camp, during this off-season. Last off-season I didn’t, so I’m actually going to start lifting again, trying to get up a little more power for this next fight,” he said.

Johny Hendricks with more power is a scary concept, especially considering the two-time national collegiate wrestling champion and four-time NCAA wrestling All-American has finished more than half of his fight by knockout.

Listen to Knockout Radio every Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. EST on MMAWeekly.com and follow them on Twitter.

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

VanZant forced out of 216 bout with Eye

Due to injury, Paige VanZant has been forced to withdraw from her UFC 216 bout against Jessica Eye on Oct. 7. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Reacts to Tony Ferguson Altercation; Talks the Black Beast (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

At a UFC 216 media luncheon on Thursday, Fabricio Werdum discussed his altercation with Tony Ferguson, his fight, and the return of Lyoto Machida. read news >>

Back injury knocks Paige VanZant out of flyweight fight vs. Jessica Eye at UFC 216

An injury has forced Paige VanZant out of her flyweight debut against Jessica Eye at UFC 216 in Las Vegas. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee talks USADA rule that scrapped UFC 216 debut, clears air on previously failed drug test

Former Invicta FC flyweight champ Andrea Lee has entered the USADA testing pool, though she’d rather her addition have been less dramatic.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Augusto Mendes reveals injury, withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 119 bout vs. Boston Salmon

Grappling standout Augusto Mendes will have to wait a little bit longer before making his return to the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Knee injury, surgery forces Teemu Packalen from UFC Fight night 118 vs. Marcin Held

The UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118 has taken a hit to one of its featured bouts. Filed under: News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' late withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum

Check out the top Twitter reactions to Derrick Lewis’ injury and withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 medical suspensions: Ray Borg potentially out six months with finger injury

After tapping to an armbar in the fifth round of UFC 216’s co-headliner, Ray Borg is facing a six-month medical suspension for a finger injury. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>