#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 118 #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #UFC 207

Johny Hendricks: Added Weight Won't Help Georges St-Pierre in Rematch

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.

St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile:

MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter.

It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for a second time.

He told MMA Fight Corner (via MMAFighting):

“I’ve heard GSP’s been watching my fights. Re-watching stuff because he’s going to have to put himself in more danger to hurt me, to mess up my game. That puts him in trouble. He’s been able to get away with so much because he’s been able to out-wrestle people. He can’t out-wrestle me. He can’t out-strength me. No matter how much weight he puts on. I think he’s at 201 pounds right now. They said he’s beefing up because he felt weak against me. He’s going to feel weak, even if he’s at 201.”

Who wins in a potential rematch?

While Hendricks is cognitive of the fact he didn’t see his hand raised in his bout with St-Pierre back at UFC 167 in November, he feels that the way he fought against St-Pierre warranted a new champion.

“There’s a sense of me that I sort of felt like Robbie Lawler was my title defense because of the Georges St-Pierre fight,” Hendricks said of his victory over Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight title. “That’s the way I’m looking at it. It’s not technically my title defense but I’ve got the same mindset.”

Hendricks is currently on the mend from a torn bicep he suffered before his title fight with Lawler. He won the title, but not at full strength —part of him wonders what could have been had he been closer to 100 percent at UFC 171.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ll throw with whoever’s the No. 1 contender. I’ll fight them. I’m not going to run away from that, but there’s a part of me that wants to see how I can do against Robbie Lawler, healthy. Then again, there’s part of me that wants to sort of train for Matt Brown or Rory MacDonald or whoever else is out there.”

Kristian Ibarra is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report. He also serves as the sports editor at San Diego State University's student-run newspaper, The Daily Aztec. Follow him on Twitter at @Kristian_Ibarra for all things MMA.

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Felipe Arantes vs. Josh Emmett added to UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

The upcoming UFC Fight Night 118 event in Poland has a new addition: Felipe Arantes vs. Josh Emmett.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joseph Duffy vs. James Vick Added to UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

After inking a new multi-fight contract to stay with the UFC, Joseph Duffy has been booked for his next fight as he faces off with James Vick on Nov. 4 in New York as part of the UFC 217 card at Madi read news >>

Kailin Curran-Yan Xiaonan, Gina Mazany-Yanan Wu added to UFC Fight Night 122 in China

UFC Fight Night 122, the first UFC event in mainland China, is beginning to shape up with the addition of a pair of women’s bouts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zabit Magomedsharipov vs. Sheymon Moraes added to UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai

A featherweight bout between touted prospect Zabit Magomedsharipov and Sheymon Moraes is the latest addition to UFC Fight Night 122.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Scott Holtzman vs. Darrell Horcher first bout added to UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

UFC Fight Night 123 is taking shape with a lightweight bout between Scott Holtzman and Darrell Horcher.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Johny Hendricks Training at Jackson-Winkeljohn Academy Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks knows he might be in a do-or-die situation heading into his next fight at UFC 217. That's why Hendricks is pulling out all the stops to ensure he shows up read news >>

Bryan Caraway vs. Luke Sanders added to UFC Fight Night 123 in December

A bantamweight matchup between an 8-time UFC veteran and a relative newcomer looking to rebound from his first professional loss has been added to UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Johny Hendricks opens up on move to Jackson Wink MMA

Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks knew he could no longer continue down the same path after his latest loss.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Report: Myles Jury vs. Rick Glenn added to UFC 219 in Las Vegas

An intriguing bantamweight bout appears to be on for UFC 219.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>