#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

Johny Hendricks: Added Weight Won't Help Georges St-Pierre in Rematch

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.

St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile:

MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter.

It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for a second time.

He told MMA Fight Corner (via MMAFighting):

“I’ve heard GSP’s been watching my fights. Re-watching stuff because he’s going to have to put himself in more danger to hurt me, to mess up my game. That puts him in trouble. He’s been able to get away with so much because he’s been able to out-wrestle people. He can’t out-wrestle me. He can’t out-strength me. No matter how much weight he puts on. I think he’s at 201 pounds right now. They said he’s beefing up because he felt weak against me. He’s going to feel weak, even if he’s at 201.”

Who wins in a potential rematch?

While Hendricks is cognitive of the fact he didn’t see his hand raised in his bout with St-Pierre back at UFC 167 in November, he feels that the way he fought against St-Pierre warranted a new champion.

“There’s a sense of me that I sort of felt like Robbie Lawler was my title defense because of the Georges St-Pierre fight,” Hendricks said of his victory over Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight title. “That’s the way I’m looking at it. It’s not technically my title defense but I’ve got the same mindset.”

Hendricks is currently on the mend from a torn bicep he suffered before his title fight with Lawler. He won the title, but not at full strength —part of him wonders what could have been had he been closer to 100 percent at UFC 171.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ll throw with whoever’s the No. 1 contender. I’ll fight them. I’m not going to run away from that, but there’s a part of me that wants to see how I can do against Robbie Lawler, healthy. Then again, there’s part of me that wants to sort of train for Matt Brown or Rory MacDonald or whoever else is out there.”

Kristian Ibarra is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report. He also serves as the sports editor at San Diego State University's student-run newspaper, The Daily Aztec. Follow him on Twitter at @Kristian_Ibarra for all things MMA.

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

John Dodson Announces His Fight Against Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night in Virginia | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight scrap has been added to the UFC card in Norfolk, VA on Nov. 11 read news >>

Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

December’s UFC on FOX 26 lineup has a few flyweight addition: former title challenger Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

3 bouts featuring Brazilian fighters official for UFC Fight Night 119 in Sao Paulo

The UFC has added three local faces to its return to Brazil, set to take place at Ibirapuera Gymnasium on Oct. 28.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Pedro Munhoz vs. Rob Font added to UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

Pedro Munhoz will look to extend his winning streak in a hometown fight in Sao Paulo against Rob Font.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Warlley Alves vs. Jim Wallhead added to UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

The lineup for the UFC’s return to Poland continues to fill out, and a welterweight matchup with two fighters in dire need of a win is the latest addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A little (big) hurricane won't keep Niko Price from UFC 217

UFC welterweight Niko Price is riding out Hurricane Irma and asking to fight at UFC 217, which is headlined by his hero Georges St-Pierre. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight Ed Herman now has some gauze for that gross finger

UFC middleweight Ed Herman will get plastic surgery to repair a finger he lost in a freak construction accident. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The PRIDE 30 - Most Memorable Moments

As the UFC prepares to return to Japan next week, it's the perfect time to revisit the 30 most memorable moments in the history of the iconic PRIDE organization here on UFC.com and on UFC FIGHT PASS. read news >>

'GGG' trainer says with UFC's rise, boxing must get more exciting

Gennady Golovkin’s trainer believes that his fighter and opponent Saul “Canelo” Alvarez need to put on a thrilling contest this Saturday to prevent more fans from turning to MMA.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

Michael Bisping Believes Jon Jones Should Be Banned for Life | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping probably has more right than anybody in the UFC to hate fighters who cheat and use performance enhancing drugs. Throughout his own career in the Octagon, Bisping has faced numerous fi read news >>