#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

John Gunderson Ring of Fire 35Coming off a disappointing 2011 where he went 1-2, lightweight veteran John “Guns” Gunderson was more than happy to start off this year with a win over fellow former UFC fighter Justin Buchholz for the Superior Cage Combat 155-pound belt in February.

“It felt good to get that victory over a pretty tough opponent, win another belt and start the year off with a bang,” said Gunderson. “Justin is an extremely tough fighter with a lot of talent and there were a couple spots where he had me in trouble here and there, and I just kept fighting and dug deep.

“There’s been other times in other fights where I tried to dig deep and fight through it and my mind said yes, but my body said no. I was able to get through it (this time).”

Gunderson looks to repeat his success against a name opponent when he steps up to welterweight to take on Karo “The Heat” Parisyan at ShoFIGHT 20 this Saturday night in Springfield, Mo.

“In my opinion, Karo’s done more than most fighters will ever be able to accomplish or ever do,” Gunderson told MMAWeekly.com. “I have nothing but respect for the guy and what he’s done in the sport from when he was young until now.

“At this point and time in my career I want to fight those guys; the guys with names. I want tough fights. I want fights that mean something to me and later on look at myself in the mirror and be proud of.”

While Gunderson respects Parisyan, he feels that in nearly every aspect of MMA, he outshines his larger opponent.

“Karo’s obviously got world class judo, so there’s no way to prepare for someone’s judo like that, but I’m strong (in areas) too and I’m not green anywhere,” said Gunderson. “That’s something he’s going to have to deal with: my wrestling ability, my striking ability, my grappling ability, and my mental toughness.”

Speaking of mental toughness, Gunderson has heard speak of Parisyan’s erratic mental game in the past, but he’s not buying into it.

“He has broken in the past, but sitting there live when he fought Dong Hyung Kim – who had trained with us at Team Tompkins – he put Karo in all sorts of bad positions, but Karo showcased some real heart in that fight,” said Gunderson. “Whether or not it got overturned, Karo won that fight, and to go out there and beat a guy with Kim’s skills, I was impressed.

“I think he’s serious about this. He’s maybe only got one shot left, he needs to do it now, but unfortunately he’s got to go through me.”

While Gunderson feels his opponent may be up against it this weekend, he also acknowledges the twilight of his career may not be far off.

“I want to get a couple more fights in the UFC and finish my career there,” he said. “I’ve been fighting for so long – I’ve had fifty-some fights – I deserve that.

“I don’t feel I performed to my potential there, so if I had another chance there, I’d make the most of it. If it doesn’t happen, then it wasn’t meant to be; but if I can make it happen, that’d be awesome.”

For more MMA News and MMA Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg issued California boxing license, appears serious about in-ring career

UFC champion Cris Cyborg seems poised to find out if her MMA dominance can translate to the boxing ring.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

Aleksandar Rakic sees incoming 'new era' of UFC fighters: 'We are really hungry for it'

Aleksandar Rakic had never set foot in the octagon before UFC Fight Night 115, though you probably couldn’t tell by watching.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jesse Taylor Popped for Potential UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor made a miraculous turnaround in his career only to have it shrouded in doubt after he was flagged for a potential UFC anti-doping violation. read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Charles Rosa Looks To Break Familiar Pattern In Japan

Charles Rosa’s UFC career has seen the star continually win at home in Boston, while losing his matches when he fights on the road. Still, each of those road losses resulted in performance bonuses, w read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

A look at UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's career stats and records, including the big one

UFC flyweight champion and pound-for-pound great Demetrious Johnson returns to the octagon on Saturday in search of history in UFC 215’s headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under read news >>