#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley

Ultimate Fighter winner John Dodson is hunting for multiple titles in multiple weight classes, but he’s going to start by targeting the best of the best at 125 pounds.

As he approaches his next fight, against former top ranked flyweight Jussier Da Silva at UFC on FX 5, Dodson received some long awaited good news when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio recently.

Unbeknownst to him at the time, Dodson’s fight against Da Silva had been deemed a No. 1 contender’s fight with the winner getting a crack at new UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.

The news only served as more motivation to put a hurting on Da Silva on Oct. 5.

“I’ve got to step up my game and make sure I put him to sleep, and I just need to justify my case for being the No. 1 contender then,” Dodson said after hearing the news.

There’s always a certain level of distraction heading into any fight, but in Dodson’s case everything just multiplied because of the title shot looming overhead. The longtime student of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn isn’t letting it distract him at all, however, because he doesn’t get the gold if he’s served with silver this weekend.

In Dodson’s mind, he’s still got a lot to prove before he can battle for the UFC flyweight title.

“I’m still thinking one fight at a time. I don’t really even care that I’m going to be the No. 1 contender. All I want to know is how I’m preparing myself for Jussier Da Silva. I know he’s a dangerous fighter, he was once considered the best flyweight in the world, and I want to make sure I can compete with the best flyweights in the world,” Dodson stated.

“People have sat there and questioned me being in the top ten, questioned my abilities, question everything I’ve done, and question my jiu-jitsu. So, I want to make sure I can prove all those doubters and haters that sit there and have no faith in me, I want to make them believers.”

The easiest way for Dodson to turn people around is to have impressive performances, and there’s no bigger opportunity than the one standing right in front of him on Friday.

Before the flyweights ever stepped foot in the UFC, Brazilian Jussier Da Silva was looked at as the best 125-pound fighter in the world, and even after his loss to Ian McCall in 2011, he bounced back and reeled off five more wins in a row to land his spot in the UFC.

Now Da Silva will be tested by one of the UFC’s best, and Dodson has no plans of going back home to New Mexico a loser.

In fact, Dodson plans on beating Da Silva and then moving onto Demetrious Johnson before setting up his long term goals of conquering multiple weight classes.

“It makes it so much easier cause now I can start hunting for my gold. I want to be a champion in three weight classes, so I wanted to start with flyweight. Now I’ve got an opponent, I’ve got the opponent I want to fight,” said Dodson.

“I’ll work my way up to get there to get that title shot, get it, and then start moving up in the other weight classes as well.”

To hear the entire interview with John Dodson including his comments on the ‘haters’ that go after Team Jackson tune in HERE

Galleries

John Dodson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Michael Phelps wonders if he and Conor McGregor should race (please be joking)

It all starts with a joke, and the next thing you know Michael Phelps and Conor McGregor are competing in a 50-meter butterfly.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

John Dodson Announces His Fight Against Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night in Virginia | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight scrap has been added to the UFC card in Norfolk, VA on Nov. 11 read news >>

John Dodson says he's fighting Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 in Virginia

This fall’s UFC Fight Night 120 lineup has an intriguing bantamweight addition with John Dodson vs. Marlon Moraes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 results: Arjan Bhullar starts quick, survives late Luis Henrique charge

Arjan Bhullar goes down in the history books as the first Sikh and fist Indo-Canadian fighter in UFC history, but he also scores those marks as a winner after getting past Luis Henrique.Filed under: read news >>

John Dodson Faces Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top 10 ranked bantamweights will meet at UFC Fight Night 120 on November 11. No. 8 ranked John Dodson and No. 10 ranked Marlon Moraes will square off inside the octagon. UFC officials annou read news >>

Bellator's Roy Nelson got tired of UFC politics: Their title belts 'don't mean (expletive)'

As he starts off a new run in a new home, Roy Nelson already has his sights on the one accolade that eluded him in the UFC: a title belt.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Olivier Aubin-Mercier starts quick, survives late Tony Martin rally

Olivier Aubin-Mercier started quick and survived a late rally from Tony Martin en route to a split-decision victory.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Anthony Smith starts slow but blasts Hector Lombard in 3rd

Anthony Smith didn’t exactly inspire for the opening two rounds of his clash with Hector Lombard, but he turned it on in the third.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Still Hunting Shogun Rua | MMAWeekly.com

Ovince Saint Preux realized his dream of fighting at Saitama Super Arena, but he's still chasing Shogun Rua. read news >>