#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Duelo De Giagantes #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance VFA Round 4 #VFA: Round 4 #VFA Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - VFA: Round 4

John AlessioSince being released from Zuffa’s promotions in 2008, John “The Natural” Alessio has had only one thought on his mind, getting back there and proving that not only does he belong there, but that he can be someone to be reckoned with in the company.

So when he was contacted to replace Matt Wiman at UFC 145 on April 21 in Atlanta, you can only imagine how excited he was.

“It was just an unbelievable feeling,” Alessio told MMAWeekly.com. “I’ve been working so hard for years and I saw this email with Joe Silva’s name on it and I thought to myself, ‘This guy doesn’t email me for nothing.’

“I was at the dentist office getting my teeth cleaned, and I wanted to get out of the chair and run to the gym,” he laughed. “It was just an unbelievable feeling.”

For Alessio it doesn’t matter how he got his shot, it’s that he got it at all after four years of working to get back.

“Ideally it would be great to have eight to 10 weeks to prepare for any fight, but I came off a fight on March 16, so I just had about two weeks of rest and got the phone call, so it kind of worked out on short notice pretty good for me,” he said.

“I wish Matt Wiman all the best and a quick recovery because he’s a great fighter, but I’m glad I got the call to step in. I would have taken it on less notice (to get back in to the UFC.)”

Having made wholesale changes in his personal life since last fighting for the company, Alessio’s biggest move may have been his decision to drop to lightweight, which has produced wins over two very tough opponents in Luiz “Buscape” Firmino and Pat Healy.

Alessio’s UFC return won’t be any easier as he takes on Mark Bocek on April 21.

“There’s no secret what Bocek wants to do: He wants this fight to be on the ground, be on top, controlling the fight, and constantly looking for submissions,” said Alessio. “He’s not a vicious ground and pounder, but I’m sure he’s improving on that and improving on his stand-up.

“With that being said, I feel I’m a better striker and I’m going to try like hell to exploit him on his feet. I’m sure the fight will go to the ground eventually, but I’ve been doing jiu-jitsu for a very long time as well and neutralize his game there.”

For Alessio, being back in the promotion isn’t enough, he knows he’s got to stand out if he’s going to remain there and make a run in the 155-pound division.

“We all know my record in the UFC isn’t great, so my whole plan is to go out there and get the win by any means necessary,” he said. “But most of all, I want this fight to be exciting. I want to put on a great show and impress the fans and the UFC so I can guarantee staying in the company.

“I’ve been working hard, but it gets a lot harder from here on out. The competition is stiffer. Let’s be honest, the guys in the UFC are the best in the world, so if I want to stick around I have to get even better, so it’s a whole new motivation.”

For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Felice Herrig faces Cortney Casey at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Top 10 ranked strawweight contender Felice Herrig will make her return to action when she faces Cortney Case at UFC 218 scheduled on Dec. 2 in Detroit. Herrig made the announcement via her Instagram read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Faces Rose Namajunas at UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

The rich get richer with UFC 217 in New York adding a third title fight. Strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk will put her title up for grabs as she faces former "Ultimate Fighter" season 20 final read news >>

'Shogun' Rua Out, Ovince Saint-Preux Now Faces Yushin Okami at UFC in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Less than a week away from the UFC's return to Japan, the event has a brand new main event. Former light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua has suffered a knee injury, which forced him out of read news >>

3 bouts featuring Brazilian fighters official for UFC Fight Night 119 in Sao Paulo

The UFC has added three local faces to its return to Brazil, set to take place at Ibirapuera Gymnasium on Oct. 28.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier Headlines UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Anthony "Showtime" Pettis faces No. 8 ranked Dustin Poirier in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event on November 11. UFC officials announced the headlining bout for the Norfo read news >>

John Dodson Faces Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top 10 ranked bantamweights will meet at UFC Fight Night 120 on November 11. No. 8 ranked John Dodson and No. 10 ranked Marlon Moraes will square off inside the octagon. UFC officials annou read news >>

Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis Announced as UFC Virginia Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Though it has been expected for quite some time, Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis on Wednesday was officially named the UFC Fight Night 120 main event. read news >>

Warlley Alves vs. Jim Wallhead added to UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

The lineup for the UFC’s return to Poland continues to fill out, and a welterweight matchup with two fighters in dire need of a win is the latest addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A little (big) hurricane won't keep Niko Price from UFC 217

UFC welterweight Niko Price is riding out Hurricane Irma and asking to fight at UFC 217, which is headlined by his hero Georges St-Pierre. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight Ed Herman now has some gauze for that gross finger

UFC middleweight Ed Herman will get plastic surgery to repair a finger he lost in a freak construction accident. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>