#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #UFC Fight Night 118 #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Felice Herrig

Joe SotoIt seems like every time former Bellator featherweight champion Joe Soto gets a little momentum, something happens to derail him.

Most recently, Soto picked up back-to-back wins in 2012, but a nagging injury finally caused him to take what has amounted to nearly a year and a half off from fighting.

Still, Soto has used the time to further his career outside the cage and improve himself as a fighter.

“I had to take some time off because I had another surgery on my eye,” he said. “I moved back to my hometown of Porterville (Calif.) and I opened my own gym and have been coaching there. I’ve been training with a lot of guys from the valley like Cody Gibson, Issac DeJesus, going around gym to gym training. I needed the break for my eye, but I always intended to come back to fighting.”

When it comes to now being the head of his own gym, Soto told MMAWeekly.com that he enjoys the experience and that he felt it was necessary as he moves further into his career.

“It’s something that I wanted to do when I was done fighting, so I kind of wanted to get on it now, especially with my eye injury,” he said. “It’s good to have some other incoming other than fighting.”

Now that he is healthy and has things in order, Soto (11-2) is set to return to fighting at Tachi Palace Fights 17 on Thursday against CageSport champion Cory Vom Baur (6-2).

“It’s an interesting match-up because he’s good where I’m good too,” said Soto of Vom Baur. “On paper, he might even be a better wrestler; on paper I might be better in jiu-jitsu because I’m a brown belt. I feel like I’m better everywhere than most of these guys. I haven’t seen much video on him, so I’m not sure how things will go, but I’m real confident in my abilities.”

Soto feels that he will be an even better fighter this time out compared to his last fight in 2012.

“You might see something a little bit different,” he said. “I feel like I’ve gotten better every year.

“When I got into Bellator, I was still young in my career, and now I feel I’m technically better than ever. Every time I fight I feel like I get better, so I’m excited for this fight.”

Hopefully with injury problems behind him, Soto is look to make one of his longtime goals come true in 2014.

“I’ve had a few fights since the Eddie Yagin loss, and I won both of them, and I’m healthy now and ready to start accomplishing my dreams,” said Soto.

“One of those dreams is to fight in the UFC, and now that I’m released from Bellator, I can pick up a couple victories and some nice finishes, and hopefully I can get in there.”

Comments

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Countdown Video (Full Episode) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee features two title fights, and flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has history on line in the fight card's co-main event. read news >>

Charles Rosa hopes to get rebooked soon after UFC Fight Night 117 scratch

Featherweight Charles Rosa said the promotion compensated him in spite of his canceled fight against Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Just call it the Von Preux choke from now on

Three out of the five fights in UFC history won by Von Flue choke have come from Ovince Saint Preux, so it's time to rename the move. read news >>

Andrea Lee vs. Kalindra Faria a late addition to next week's UFC 216 lineup

Next week’s UFC 216 lineup will apparently have 13 fights, after all.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

Kevin Lee: The Fights That Have Him on the Verge of History

In the main event of UFC 216 on Oct. 7, Kevin Lee steps into the Octagon for the biggest fight of his career when he faces Tony Ferguson for the interim UFC lightweight title. In the meantime, we tak read news >>

Kevin Lee Doesn't Respect Conor McGregor's UFC Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

Lightweight contender Kevin Lee fights Tony Ferguson for the interim 155-pound title at UFC 216 and weighs in on Conor McGregor's lightweight legacy. read news >>

Kevin Lee Explains Why He Hopes Tony Ferguson Can Survive to the Championship Rounds at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee isn't lacking confidence ahead of his first title fight at UFC 216 read news >>

That big UFC 217 event with 3 title fights? Here's the official poster

As far as UFC events go, UFC 217 is a biggie, and now the November blockbuster has an official poster.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Go inside Georges St-Pierre's return and 3 title fights in UFC 217 extended preview

When the UFC returns to Madison Square Garden in New York City next month, three titles will be on the line at the top of the card.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>