#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 55

joe-lauzon-14.jpgWith his scar tissue healing but much of the mid-summer schedule already filling, veteran UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon is hoping for a return at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 later this year.

The event takes place Aug. 17 at TD Bank Garden in Boston, near Lauzon’s current home in Bridgewater, Mass. The main card airs on the soon-to-debut FOX Sports 1 channel (hence the awkward UFC event numbering format).

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, Lauzon suffered a substantial forehead cut and subsequently heavy scar tissue in a December loss to Jim Miller, which earned “Fight of the Year” consideration. He’s been waiting for a “big raised ridge” of scar tissue to subside, with help from something called the Graston Technique.

With the healing process chugging along, Lauzon now wants a spot on UFC’s August card in Boston.

“I was hoping to fight in June or July, but they’re probably already booking out that far,” he recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio. “The time works out perfect. They just announced the August card, the Boston card in August, so I think everything makes sense. I think it lines up perfectly. It gives me a little more time to let my head heal up and deal with all that kind of stuff and get in there.”

The UFC’s record-holder for fight-night bonuses picked up his fifth “Fight of the Night” award against Miller. He also owns six “Submission of the Night” bonuses and a “KO of the Night” award.

However, Lauzon, who’s currently ranked No. 11 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings, has no preference for a next opponent. Most of the top 15 lightweights who are under contract to the UFC are already booked for other fights.

“I really don’t care (who I fight),” he said. “Whoever the UFC wants me to fight, I’ll fight. I really feel like on any night I can beat anyone. I just need to game plan, and things need to go right in camp, and things need to go right on the night of the fight. But I feel like I can catch anyone.

“I haven’t even thought about it. I keep my eye on everyone in my division. When there’s a lightweight fight, I’m always watching. I try to take mental notes on what they’re doing and whatnot, but once they give me an opponent, I really go back and look. But I don’t care. Doesn’t matter.”

But don’t expect him to get goaded into a bout. He said, likely because of his penchant for winning bonus awards, his Twitter timeline is often full of callouts from fellow fighters. Diego Sanchez and Pat Healy have been some of the most recent ones, he said.

Lauzon, though, chooses to ignore them.

“I really don’t like acknowledging people because I have people calling me out all the time,” he said. “I think it’s because they see me get … ‘Fight of the Night’ bonuses, so people are looking at it like a surefire bonus for them, win or lose.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX Sports 1 1, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Comments

Did Brian Kelleher and Thomas Almeida agree to fight at UFC on FOX 26?

Brian Kelleher wants to fight a fourth time before the year is over and might’ve found a willing opponent in Thomas Almeida.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Lineker Cements Spot in Top 5 (UFC Sao Paulo Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights as John Lineker defeated Marlon Vera at UFC Fight Night 119 on Saturday at Ginásio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo, Brazil. read news >>

Mark Godbeer Gets Kicked in the Face, but Loses the Fight (UFC 217 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Mark Godbeer's disqualification win over Walt Harris at UFC Fight 217 on Saturday at read news >>

Rose Namajunas Flattened Joanna Jedrzejczyk (UFC 217 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC on FOX) Rose Namajunas stuns Joanna Jedrzejczyk to become the new UFC women's strawweight division champion. Check out the highlights from the first-round finish. The fight promotion read news >>

24 is the magic number for UFC Fight Night 120's Clay Guida and Joe Lauzon

Of all the places Clay Guida and Joe Lauzon would fight, Norfolk, Va., doesn’t seem like a leading candidate. But Guida explains why now’s the time at UFC Fight Night 120. Filed under: News, UFC, Vid read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 Fight Card and Start Times | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on FOX 28 Date: February 24, 2018 Venue: Amway Center Location: Orlando, Florida UFC on FOX 28 News UFC on FOX 28 Videos UFC on FOX 28 Fight Card Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Ins read news >>

UFC on FOX 27 Fight Card and Start Times | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on FOX 27 Date: January 27, 2018 Venue: Spectrum Center Location: Charlotte, North Carolina UFC on FOX 27 News UFC on FOX 27 Videos UFC on FOX 27 Fight Card Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twit read news >>

Gilbert Burns challenges, Olivier Aubin-Mercier accepts for UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte

Gilbert Burns and Olivier Aubin-Mercier are looking to make life easy for UFC matchmakers.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Abel Trujillo on 'gimme fight' vs. John Makdessi at UFC on FOX 26: 'It's going to be a fatality'

Abel Trujillo doesn’t think John Makdessi will get past the first round of their lightweight meeting at UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Roberts vs. Westcott, Blachowicz vs. Cannonier added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

UFC on FOX 26 additions include a pair of fighters looking to build on recent wins and a replacement opponent making a quick turnaround.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>