Joe Lauzon

Joe Lauzon

Challenge extended.

And if the UFC wants it to happen, challenge accepted.

Just days after UFC lightweight title contender Melvin Guillard offered up the name of Joe Lauzon as a possible opponent so he could fight at UFC 136 in Houston, he has an answer.

Lauzon, appearing on MMAWeekly Radio, says that if the UFC wants that fight to happen, he’s more than willing to sign on the dotted line.

“Melvin’s saying he wants to fight me. Last week, I think Charles Oliveira’s saying he wants to fight me. I’ll fight whoever the UFC wants. If the UFC wants me to fight Melvin, then let’s do it. If the UFC wants me to fight Charles Oliveira, then let’s do it,” Lauzon said.

“I’m not too picky. I’ve never told the UFC ‘no I don’t want to fight.’ If they want me to fight someone, then I’ll do it.”

Lauzon is coming off a ‘Submission of the Night’ victory at UFC on Versus 4 over Curt Warburton in Pittsburgh, but not before knocking his British opponent down with some nasty stand-up.

The popular Boston area fighter has always been known as an exciting product in the Octagon and a match-up with Guillard could bring a major lightweight match-up to the show in Houston.

While Guillard’s mention of Lauzon’s name was done with respect, the two 155-pound fighters could have great potential for the card.

The UFC has yet to determine a main card for the Houston show, but more fights are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

If matchmaker Joe Silva offers up Melvin Guillard as an opponent, Lauzon has no problem accepting the fight for that show.

“I think with a proper training camp, things like that, I can game plan and be ready for anyone,” Lauzon said. “Whoever the UFC wants, I’m down. If they want Melvin, then let’s do it.”

Now it’s up to the UFC and the fans to decide if Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon is the match-up they want to see.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Donald Cerrone: We'll Just Keep Knocking Them Down Until We Get the Title (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Embracing a hometown fight with Jorge Masvidal, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has a welterweight title fight in his sights for 2017. read news >>

Ranked flyweights Ali Bagautinov, Zach Makovsky no longer on UFC roster

Two of the world’s best flyweights are no longer under UFC contract.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrei Arlovski: I'm Not in a Position to Pick My Opponent (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Having lost three fights in a row, Andrei Arlovski knows that he can't be choosy about his opponents or make big, boastful claims. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou: Someone can do better than UFC champ Stipe Miocic

DENVER – UFC heavyweight Francis Ngannou wanted to be a professional boxer, until his coaches encouraged him to check out MMA. Now he believes he can be the best heavyweight in the world.Filed under: read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Donald Cerrone and Jorge Masvidal personal? Depends on who you ask

DENVER – UFC welterweight Jorge Masvidal said it’s business and not personal against Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 23. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko: I Am Very Confident in My Power (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Though she's not as boisterous as her UFC on FOX 23 opponent, Valentina Shevchenko is confident as she prepares to step in the cage with Julianna Pena. read news >>

Francis Ngannou Embraces Championship Expectations (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Heading into battle with Andrei Arlovski, rising heavyweight star Francis Ngannou embraces the pressure of those who think he could be a UFC champion. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Andrei Arlovski wasn't aiming for Francis Ngannou but isn't in business of picking opponents

DENVER – You get the sense UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski didn’t exactly want to fight Francis Ngannou. After all, a young, up-and-coming prospect offers little upside for a former champion fighting read news >>

UFC on Fox 23: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Predictions

There's a lot of pop in this little main card. UFC on Fox 23, going down this Saturday from Denver, Colorado, isn't getting the same run as most other Fox cards. It's certainly not getting the same r read news >>

Kevin Lee vs. Francisco Trinaldo added to UFC Fight Night 106 in Brazil

A bout between surging lightweights Kevin Lee and Francisco Trinaldo is the latest addition to March’s UFC Fight Night 106 lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>