#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Jared Cannonier #Ricardo Lamas #Josh Emmett #Abel Trujillo #UFC 218 #John Makdessi #Alessio Di Chirico #Oluwale Bamgbose #Glover Teixeira #Misha Cirkunov

After being released from the UFC following The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale in late 2015, flyweight Joby Sanchez had been taking incremental steps back towards the company when a big opportunity came his way.

This past July, Sanchez participated in the first Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series event and managed to get a unanimous decision win over Manny Vazquez. Though he wasn’t able to earn a contract with the win, Sanchez returned to the Contender Series a month later and scored a second-round knockout of JP Buys to get an offer to return to the UFC.

“I fought on the first one, but didn’t get the contract, so I came back and fought again on episode seven and got the contract,” Sanchez told MMAWeekly.com. “It wasn’t a surprise (to get an opportunity to return to the UFC), because when I got cut, I said I would get back and I truly believed it.”

The First Ronda Rousey Wedding Pics Have Arrived

Looking back on his two wins in the Contender Series, Sanchez is pleased with how he performed in both bouts, and felt that if his win over Vazquez didn’t get him into the UFC, the way he fought against Buys would.

Joby Sanchez“Against Manny overall I felt good, and even though I didn’t get the contract, I was happy with the fight,” said Sanchez. “He was a tough guy, a big flyweight, and I felt I was able to out-wrestle him and out-scramble him. Even when he strongest and got me down and in into his best position, he still couldn’t finish me.

“(In the Buys fight) after the first round and going into the second I felt he was broken. He was gassed as well, so I really knew if I put the pressure on him I’d finish him that round. By the time he’s my age, he’ll be in the UFC, but I knew his inexperience was going to play a factor.”

Having been two years since he last had an official bout in the UFC, Sanchez feels he has grown quite a bit and is eager to make his return proper before the end of 2017.

“I believe I’ve made big adjustments not only in my skill work but I feel mentally I’m right where I need to be and I’m only going to get better from here,” Sanchez said. “I definitely want to fight before the year is over.”

Comments

Dana White Still Not Sure Conor McGregor Will Ever Return to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor won't be fighting at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 and right now there's still no word on when — or if — he will ever return again. On Tuesday, UFC president Dana White made a shocking revelation read news >>

Dana White Meeting with CM Punk in Detroit to Discuss His UFC Future | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk may be headed back to the UFC Octagon in the near future. The former WWE superstar, who was submitted in his mixed martial arts debut last September, will sit down with UFC president Dana Whi read news >>

Marlon Moraes: 'I'm Gonna Give Some Trouble to the '35ers' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Marlon Moraes is finally getting used to the UFC Octagon... and he thinks he likes it. read news >>

Nate Diaz Claims He Turned Down UFC Offer to Fight for the Title "In Any Weight Class" | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz wants the right opportunity to come along if he's going to fight in the UFC again but that doesn't mean competing for a title. Diaz took to Twitter on Friday where he claims that the UFC re read news >>

Alexis Davis Earns Hard Fought Split Decision Over Liz Carmouche in UFC Flyweight Debut | MMAWeekly.com

A new contender has arrived in the UFC women's flyweight division as Alexis Davis picked up a win in her 125-pound debut on Saturday night in Fresno. It was familiar territory for Davis, who earned a read news >>

Watch Rafael dos Anjos Sleep George Sotiropolous in the UFC Knockout of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Before Rafael dos Anjos squares off against Robbie Lawler at UFC on FOX 26, check out his bone-rattling knockout of George Sotiropolous. read news >>

UFC on FOX 26: Lawler vs. dos Anjos Road to the Octagon (Full Episode) | MMAWeekly.com

As the UFC gets set for another event on FOX on Saturday, witness the remarkable lives and training camps of six of the world’s most thrilling fighters. read news >>

Lyoto Machida vs. Eryk Anders Headlines UFC Fight Night in Belem, Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC's upcoming card in Belem, Brazil has a headliner as former champion Lyoto Machida will look to get back on track as he faces fast rising middleweight star Eryk Anders on Feb. 3. UFC officials read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night Winnipeg Weigh-in Live at 7 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

The fighters competing on Saturday's UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. dos Anjos fight card will officially weigh in on Friday in Winnipeg, Canada. read news >>

Robbie Lawler: 'If I Fight to the Best of My Abilities, There's No Stopping Me' | MMAWeekly.com

Winning the UFC welterweight championship was a monumental achievement in Robbie Lawler's career and something he'll never forget. Considering Lawler was once touted as the next big thing in the divi read news >>