#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Rizin 7 #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Pancrase

After being released from the UFC following The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale in late 2015, flyweight Joby Sanchez had been taking incremental steps back towards the company when a big opportunity came his way.

This past July, Sanchez participated in the first Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series event and managed to get a unanimous decision win over Manny Vazquez. Though he wasn’t able to earn a contract with the win, Sanchez returned to the Contender Series a month later and scored a second-round knockout of JP Buys to get an offer to return to the UFC.

“I fought on the first one, but didn’t get the contract, so I came back and fought again on episode seven and got the contract,” Sanchez told MMAWeekly.com. “It wasn’t a surprise (to get an opportunity to return to the UFC), because when I got cut, I said I would get back and I truly believed it.”

The First Ronda Rousey Wedding Pics Have Arrived

Looking back on his two wins in the Contender Series, Sanchez is pleased with how he performed in both bouts, and felt that if his win over Vazquez didn’t get him into the UFC, the way he fought against Buys would.

Joby Sanchez“Against Manny overall I felt good, and even though I didn’t get the contract, I was happy with the fight,” said Sanchez. “He was a tough guy, a big flyweight, and I felt I was able to out-wrestle him and out-scramble him. Even when he strongest and got me down and in into his best position, he still couldn’t finish me.

“(In the Buys fight) after the first round and going into the second I felt he was broken. He was gassed as well, so I really knew if I put the pressure on him I’d finish him that round. By the time he’s my age, he’ll be in the UFC, but I knew his inexperience was going to play a factor.”

Having been two years since he last had an official bout in the UFC, Sanchez feels he has grown quite a bit and is eager to make his return proper before the end of 2017.

“I believe I’ve made big adjustments not only in my skill work but I feel mentally I’m right where I need to be and I’m only going to get better from here,” Sanchez said. “I definitely want to fight before the year is over.”

Comments

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>

Gokhan Saki Flattens Henrique da Silva in Crazy Finish at UFC Fight Night in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Welcome to the UFC, Gokhan Saki. The former kickboxing superstar finally made his debut inside the Octagon on Friday night and he finished Henrique da Silva with a highlight reel left hook that broug read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Medical Suspensions: Three Fighters Face Three-Month Layoffs | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC released the medical suspensions stemming from Friday's UFC Fight Night 117 on Monday. Three fighters from the fight card that took place at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan face potenti read news >>

Listen to the UFC 216 Media Conference Cal Livel at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

In advance of the two world title bouts at UFC 216, UFC will host a media conference call with all four athletes competing in the championship fights. read news >>

Rafael Natal Announces Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

A longtime contender to the UFC middleweight championship, Brazilian fighter Rafael "Sapo" Natal has closed the Octagon door on his career. read news >>

UFC releases statement on Las Vegas shooting; fighters react to tragedy

The UFC has released a statement on Sunday’s mass shooting on the Las Vegas strip.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee UFC 216 Countdown Video | MMAWeekly.com

Take a closer look at the UFC 216 main event. Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee will fight for the interim lightweight title at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. read news >>

UFC Responds to Las Vegas Shooting Tragedy | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC, which has long made its home base in Las Vegas, issued a statement on Monday in response to Sunday's tragic concert shooting. read news >>

Dana White: UFC Donating $1 Million to Las Vegas Shooting Victims

Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>

Tony Ferguson Surprises Kevin Lee and Dana White During UFC 216 Face-Offs (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>