#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jon Jones #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Michael Bisping #Round 4 #UFC 215 #Miesha Tate

Jimmie RiveraAfter a brief stint on The Ultimate Fighter and a couple fights in Bellator, current King of the Cage and Ring of Combat bantamweight champion Jimmie “El Terror” Rivera has begun to work his way back.

“I’ve just been training, trying to get an MMA fight, and after that MMA fight, try to get a couple more wins and hopefully make it up to a big promotion,” said Rivera of his 2012.

Having won his only fight of the year, in June, over Justin Hickey in ROC, Rivera has gone back to the drawing board to refine an aspect of his game prior to returning the promotion this Friday.

“Coming into that last fight, I thought Justin was going to be more wild and unorthodox, but you could tell he’d done some work since his last fight. When I fought him, he was picking off punches and really looking for the win,” said Rivera. “After watching the fight, I knew I really needed to work my hands more for this next fight and in general for my game.”

Bettering his striking will hopefully segue to Rivera’s other goal for his game, as he told MMAWeekly.com, “I want to be an effective fighter and I want to finish more – whether it’s grappling or TKO – I’d prefer looking for the finish in all my fights.

“When a fight goes to a decision, I feel like I’m not satisfied. I feel like there’s always a finish (available). I always go back after my fights and find what I could have done better. I’m a perfectionist and I always want to make myself better and get better.”

Rivera will be defending his ROC title Friday in Atlantic City, N.J., against Joel Roberts. Having already defended a title before, Rivera feels he’ll be prepared to do so again against Roberts.

“I have the KOTC title that I won from Abel Cullum and defended that against Jared Papazian, so I’m kind of used to having that pressure on me,” said Rivera. “I’m better experienced from my first title defense to my second right now. I know what I should do and it will help a lot in the cage.”

A good showing against Roberts in ROC could be just the thing Rivera needs to take a step towards getting another shot at the UFC in the near future.

“I’m hoping this fight leads me there, but if not, I’ll be ready to fight after that,” he said. “We’ll see how it goes. I have an ultimate goal and we’ll see where it takes me after this fight.”

(Photo courtesy of Jimmie Rivera)

Galleries

Jimmie Rivera Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Video: UFC 215, UFC 216 media day face-offs, where Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee get heated

The UFC today hosted a media event to promote September’s UFC 216 and October’s UFC 217 fight cards, which feature three championship bouts in total. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnson vs. Borg, Nunes vs. Shevchenko Face Off Ahead of Double Title Fight at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Two titles will go up for grabs at UFC 215 as Demetrious Johnson takes on Ray Borg and Amanda Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko after they were originally scheduled to meet in July. On Thursday, all f read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Engage in Heated Face Off Ahead of UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee had to be separated by UFC president Dana White on Thursday after a heated face off during a media day in Las Vegas. Ferguson will face Lee to crown a new interim lightwei read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White More Nervous About Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Than Any Other Fight Ever | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is more nervous about Conor McGregor's boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. than any other fight... ever. read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Latest Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing megafight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Notorious is switching fight codes and will make his professional read news >>

Conor McGregor Nutritionist Says He'll Have No Trouble Making Weight

Conor McGregor's nutritionist said Thursday that the UFC Lightweight champion will have no problem making weight Friday for his 154-pound boxing clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday. According read news >>

Conor McGregor: 'Essentially, I Am Representing the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor talks about his training at the UFC Performance Institute days before his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>