#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Holly Holm #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva

Jessica AguilarAfter a busy 2010 that saw her fight five times in one year, top women’s MMA strawweight Jessica “Jag” Aguilar has toned things down a bit the last couple of years, fighting only five times total.

Still, she’s maintained a busy training schedule and is currently riding a six-fight winning streak that includes her most recent win this past March over Patricia Vidonic at Bellator 94.

“I had some ring rust because I hadn’t fought in a year,” said Aguilar. “That fight was coming back from the biggest fight of my career. It was a tough fight. Patricia always brings her A-game and always brings the fight, and I respect it.”

Ring rust aside, Aguilar had best be on the top of her game for her next bout as she takes on legendary Japanese women’s MMA pioneer Megumi “Mega Megu” Fujii in her retirement bout at Vale Tudo Japan on Saturday in the Ota City Central Gymnasium in Tokyo.

The bout will be a rematch of when the two fought in Bellator in May of last year, a bout won by Aguilar via unanimous decision.

“I know I’m going to use some of what I did from that past fight, but this is a new fight and is a completely different fight,” said Aguilar. “We’ve went through the videos, my team and I, and we’ve put together a strategy that we’ve trained and I’ll be ready to give all I have.”

Aguilar told MMAWeekly.com that she doesn’t feel one area will determine the outcome of the fight considering how evenly talented in many areas both she and Fujii are.

“I think we’re both very experienced and I think that we’re both well-rounded,” said Aguilar. “(Fujii) has accomplished so much with Judo and wrestling; she’s just done amazing things. I think we’ll both be equally ready.”

Being Fujii’s retirement bout, Aguilar was asked if she feels that the emotions her opponent will be feeling on Oct. 5 will be to her advantage. She replied, “I don’t even think about that.

“I think that I’m going to give her the best fight of her career and she’s going to give me that back. I don’t think I’ll gain anything getting into her head or any of that.”

Aguilar does think she either has to finish Fujii or put on a dominating performance should the fight go to the judges in her opponent’s hometown.

“I have to win strong,” said Aguilar. “Going into her hometown, obviously I want the finish, but I really have to win decisively and make a statement.”

With the possibility of adding another impressive fight to her current winning streak, many opportunities could be available to Aguilar when she returns from Japan. But for right now, all she’s thinking about is Megumi Fujii and nothing else.

“For right now my main focus is Oct. 5 against someone I respect so much,” she said. “After this fight I’ll talk about my other plans, but right now I can’t tell you anything else because my focus is on her.”

Comments

If Michael Bisping really does retire after GSP fight, how will we remember him?

Michael Bisping teased a possible retirement after his fight with Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217. But if his title reign and career both end without even an attempted defense against a middleweight con read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Explains the Only Way He'll Stick Around After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping's career is coming to an end soon. The UFC middleweight champion has long addressed the possibility that he would be retiring from the sport sooner rather than later with only a coupl read news >>

Matt Brown Will Retire Following Diego Sanchez Fight | MMAWeekly.com

"The Immortal" is ready to call it a career. read news >>

Matt Brown Explains Why He's Retiring After His Fight with Diego Sanchez | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown shocked the world on Thursday when he announced that he would retire from the sport of mixed martial arts following his upcoming fight against Diego Sanchez on Nov. 11 at UFC Fight Night i read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Plans To Put It All Together Against Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 183 | MMAWeekly.com

On September 23, Adam Piccolotti (9-0) will step into the cage for the first time in 10 months when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (21-3) at Bellator 183. read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

What debut? Aaron Pico just hit the reset button on an again-promising career

Want to make people forget about your embarrassing debut? Send your next opponent crashing to the canvas.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Even Miesha Tate Doesn't Want to See Cris Cyborg Slaughter Ronda Rousey | MMAWeekly.com

Even Ronda Rousey's most heated rival, Miesha Tate, wouldn't send her to slaughter by having her fight Cris Cyborg. read news >>