#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Sage Northcutt #Derrick Lewis #Conor McGregor #Roy Nelson #Matt Mitrione #Bellator 194

Jeremy Stephens would love to fight Jose Aldo – just not in November (and understandably so)

EDMONTON – Veteran UFC featherweight Jeremy Stephens just finished his 26th octagon appearance and snapped a two-fight losing skid.

He feels a raise is due.

“My kids are growing, and I want the best for them and the best for me and to set them up in the future,” Stephens (26-14 MMA, 13-13 UFC) told MMAjunkie after Saturday’s UFC 215 event, where he outpointed former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez (22-7 MMA, 1-5 UFC) in the pay-per-view opener at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. “I’m just now starting to make good money in this sport, and it’s been a long time.

“I feel like I should be making a (expletive) more money, especially since I just beat a guy who makes probably double what I do.”

That guy, of course, expertly used the free-agency process to win a lucrative new deal with the UFC. Stephens is most known for his work in the UFC octagon, so his opportunity to leverage one promotion against the other was not as strong as Melendez’s.

Still, with his contract nearing completion, Stephens said it’s time to get a bump.

“I’m definitely going to be begging for some more money and putting on these performances (so) I can retire nice,” Stephens said. “I definitely want to retire and do some FOX analysis (work). But right now I’m a fighter, and I want to make as much money as I can.”

Stephens has a good idea of an opponent that might earn him a bigger paycheck – ex-champ Jose Aldo (26-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC). He noted the Brazilian’s desire to fight in November after the loss of his belt to Max Holloway earlier this year.

While that timeline doesn’t exactly jibe with Stephens’ schedule – he did, after all, put off his wedding for UFC 215 – a matchup later this year sounds perfect.

“I would love that fight, but November, it’s a little tight on my schedule, and I can’t push two things back,” Stephens said. “So December or January, something like that – that would be something I’d definitely look forward to. He’s a banger and a class act.

“I think me and him could get it on and give the fans a great showing. But I just can’t do November. I can’t keep pushing things back.”

To hear more from Stephens, check out the video above.

And for complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Jeremy Stephens Fights

• a month ago
  • 2095 views

Comments

With added drive for UFC-Belem, ex-champ Lyoto Machida isn't thinking about retirement

Former champ Lyoto Machida hasn’t forgotten about his belt aspirations, but says it’s too soon to think of title shots at the moment. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 221 headliner Yoel Romero shut down ex-champ Chris Weidman in 2016

Heading into UFC 205, Yoel Romero was riding a seven-fight winning streak and got a date with a former UFC middleweight champion. read news >>

UFC 221 broadcasting teams set; ex-champ Fabricio Werdum back on mic

The broadcasting teams are set for this weekend’s UFC 221 event, FOX Sports officials today confirmed with MMAjunkie. read news >>

How Yves Edwards changed the course of Jeremy Stephens' career

To this day, UFC featherweight Jeremy Stephens thanks retired fighter and UFC commentator Yves Edwards for changing his life. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 main-event breakdown: Is Josh Emmett a live 'dog against Jeremy Stephens?

• a day ago

MMAjunkie’s Dan Tom provides an in-depth breakdown of all of UFC on FOX 28’s top bouts, and today, we look at the main event. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens on UFC Money Fights: 'Just Shut Up and Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Jeremy Stephens is growing weary of all of his peers that are calling for UFC "money fights." read news >>

UFC on FOX 28: Road to the Octagon - Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Witness the relentless training camps and extraordinary lives of six world-class mixed martial artists as they ready for Feb. 24th’s UFC on FOX 28. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC-Austin headliner Jeremy Stephens' 2011 knockout of Marcus Davis

• 3 hours ago

Jeremy Stephens will soon have his 28th – 28th! – UFC bout, and during the run, the upcoming headliner has scored some remarkable knockouts. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 co-main-event breakdown: Is Jessica Andrade's pressure too much for Tecia Torres?

• 2 hours ago

MMAjunkie’s Dan Tom provides an in-depth breakdown of UFC on FOX 28’s Jessica Andrade vs. Tecia Torres co-main event. read news >>

C.B. Dollaway Discusses Injuries from Elevator Accident, Return to UFC

• 3 hours ago

C.B. Dollaway has revealed he has "permanent damage" from the elevator accident he suffered back in September 2016. Dollaway said surgery is not an option to try to resolve the problem, per Shaun Al- read news >>