#UFC Fight Night 123 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #UFC 218 #GLORY Redemption #Rico Verhoeven #Marlon Moraes #Aljamain Sterling #Francis Ngannou #Gabriel Benitez #Jason Knight #Alistair Overeem #Max Holloway

EDMONTON – Veteran UFC featherweight Jeremy Stephens just finished his 26th octagon appearance and snapped a two-fight losing skid.

He feels a raise is due.

“My kids are growing, and I want the best for them and the best for me and to set them up in the future,” Stephens (26-14 MMA, 13-13 UFC) told MMAjunkie after Saturday’s UFC 215 event, where he outpointed former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez (22-7 MMA, 1-5 UFC) in the pay-per-view opener at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. “I’m just now starting to make good money in this sport, and it’s been a long time.

“I feel like I should be making a (expletive) more money, especially since I just beat a guy who makes probably double what I do.”

That guy, of course, expertly used the free-agency process to win a lucrative new deal with the UFC. Stephens is most known for his work in the UFC octagon, so his opportunity to leverage one promotion against the other was not as strong as Melendez’s.

Still, with his contract nearing completion, Stephens said it’s time to get a bump.

“I’m definitely going to be begging for some more money and putting on these performances (so) I can retire nice,” Stephens said. “I definitely want to retire and do some FOX analysis (work). But right now I’m a fighter, and I want to make as much money as I can.”

Stephens has a good idea of an opponent that might earn him a bigger paycheck – ex-champ Jose Aldo (26-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC). He noted the Brazilian’s desire to fight in November after the loss of his belt to Max Holloway earlier this year.

While that timeline doesn’t exactly jibe with Stephens’ schedule – he did, after all, put off his wedding for UFC 215 – a matchup later this year sounds perfect.

“I would love that fight, but November, it’s a little tight on my schedule, and I can’t push two things back,” Stephens said. “So December or January, something like that – that would be something I’d definitely look forward to. He’s a banger and a class act.

“I think me and him could get it on and give the fans a great showing. But I just can’t do November. I can’t keep pushing things back.”

To hear more from Stephens, check out the video above.

And for complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Despite UFC 218 loss to champion Max Holloway, ex-champ Jose Aldo 'always optimistic'

Former champ Jose Aldo spoke up for the first time since a failed rematch against Max Holloway spelled the first skid of his pro career. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC President Dana White, champ Max Holloway praise 'legend' Jose Aldo after UFC 218 loss

Featherweight champion Max Holloway and UFC President Dana White only had positive things to say about Jose Aldo after UFC 218.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 218: Holloway vs Aldo 2 Fantasy Recap

If there were any questions remaining from Max Holloway's first win over Jose Aldo, the reigning featherweight champion answered them in the rematch on Saturday night at UFC 218 in Detroit. read news >>

Cub Swanson: Max Holloway 'played with Jose Aldo's ego' in UFC 218 title defense

Cub Swanson was impressed by Max Holloway’s win over Jose Aldo in his featherweight title defense at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC President Dana White: Ex-champ Anderson Silva 'radio silent' since potential USADA violation

UFC President Dana White hasn’t spoken to Anderson Silva since the former longtime UFC champ’s potential USADA violation.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC-Fresno winner Eryk Anders wants to fight Lyoto Machida on ex-champ's turf

• 11 hours ago

With a second UFC win added to his unbeaten professional record, middleweight Eryk Anders thinks it’s time for a step up in competition.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway after UFC 218 title defense vs. Jose Aldo: 'This is what kings do ... defend their thrones'

Max Holloway, at just 26, is grateful to beat Jose Aldo a second time and confident his UFC title reign can go on for a while.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ex-champ Matt Hughes says busy UFC schedule 'too commercial' these days

Former and longtime UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes looks back on his fighting days as the “golden age” of the sport.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Listen to today's UFC 218 media call with Max Holloway and Jose Aldo at 5 p.m. ET

Listen to a live stream of today’s UFC 218 media call with champ Max Holloway and Jose Aldo.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway vs. Jose Aldo: UFC 218 Countdown Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Featherweight champ Max Holloway adjusts his camp to prepare for a familiar foe, longtime beltholder Jose Aldo, who sees the rematch as a shot at redemption. read news >>