#Fight Night Stockholm #Alexander Gustafsson #Glover Teixeira #Colosseum #Volkan Oezdemir #Marcin Held #Damir Hadzovic #Conor McGregor #Nordine Taleb #Oliver Enkamp #Jack Hermansson #Alex Nicholson #Reza Madadi #Joaquim Silva #Ben Saunders

Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Longtime UFC veteran Nik Lentz announces departure from American Top Team, figuring out future plans

Nik Lentz today announced he’s no longer a part of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., ending a five-year relationship with the famed MMA training center.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anthony Pettis Returns to Lightweight, Takes on Jim Miller at UFC 213 | MMAWeekly.com

After a stint in the featherweight division, former lightweight champ Anthony Pettis will return to the 155-pound weight class to take on Jim Miller at UFC 213. read news >>

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk plans on being two-division titleholder

DALLAS – Strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk is back on some familiar turf this week for her UFC 211 co-headliner. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

After overturned win, UFC's Kelvin Gastelum says he's done fighting in Brazil

Don’t expect to see Kelvin Gastelum returning to Brazil for a future fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Junior Dos Santos plans to retake 'baddest man on the planet' label with UFC 211 KO of Stipe Miocic

Only six fighters in UFC history have had multiple title reigns in a single weight class. Junior Dos Santos can become lucky number seven with a victory over heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 211 read news >>

Gesias Cavalcante looks to spoil Kurt Holobaugh's UFC return plans with finish at Titan FC 44

Ex-champ Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante meets Kurt Holobaugh this Friday looking to conquer Titan FC’s interim lightweight title. But for the Brazilian veteran, belts are “just the cherry on top” of victorio read news >>

Amanda Nunes Plans Lengthy UFC Reign, but May Delve into Other Divisions | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes plans on ruling the roost for a long time, but is considering multiple other weight classes. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Not Retiring, Plans to Compete After UFC Contract Ends | MMAWeekly.com

Vitor Belfort initially planned to retire following his UFC 212 bout against Nate Marquardt in June, but those plans have changed. read news >>

Glover Teixeira plans to crash light heavyweight title conversation at UFC Fight Night 109

STOCKHOLM – After a little time on the back burner, the UFC’s light heavyweight division is starting to pick up some serious heat once again. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator's Valerie Letourneau would've liked flyweight stint in UFC, but not mad at promotion for 'doing the right thing

Shortly after Valerie Letourneau's departure from its roster, the UFC announced the women's flyweight division she'd long to see. But, with a date already set for her Bellator debut, Letourneau is ul read news >>