Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

Even after being out of MMA for a year, when Jay Hieron made his return this past Saturday at Bellator 35, he felt like he had never left.

“It felt great,” exclaimed Hieron. “I went through a rough year last year, but I got back in there and felt like I hadn’t lost a step, it was just right back to business.”

While Hieron feels like he hadn’t missed a beat, he told MMAWeekly.com that the time off wasn’t easy.

“I’m human,” he said. “I got down for a bit because when you can’t really make a living from your job doing something you love and it’s taken away from you and you’re not working, it’s rough.

“I had a lot of emotion, but throughout the whole time I stayed in the gym and kept working hard and stayed positive knowing it would turn around.”

Unable to get in the cage, Hieron spent the time working on his game.

“That’s definitely one thing I can say is that in the time off I had a chance to step back and push the reset button on everything and get all my skills sharper,” he stated.

“When you’re training for a fight you really don’t have a chance to learn new techniques and try new things because you’re always on that grind.”

While Hieron was successful against Anthony Lapsley, defeating him via rear naked choke halfway through the first round, the fight is not without dispute.

“A lot of people are saying it was a controversial stoppage, but it is what it is,” commented Hieron. “Regardless, another 30 seconds, another minute, he would have been out of there.

“He would have been unconscious for sure. It was getting tighter and I’m a fighter, not a ref, but from my standpoint, he was going out.”

Considered one of the top welterweights in the world prior to his year off, many feel this season’s welterweight tournament is Hieron’s to win or lose, but he doesn’t see it that way.

“That’s not me saying that, that’s the media and everybody else’s predictions,” he stated. “I don’t pay attention to that or listen to that. I’m just another guy in the tournament trying to make my mark, trying to move forward and basically just fight one fight at a time.

“I’m not looking past anybody. My next fight is Brent Weedman and that’s all I’m looking forward to right now.”

Hieron’s outlook is nothing new to him, as it’s the one he’s had his entire career, top ranking or not.

“I’m a guy who doesn’t look too far past my next fight,” he said. “That’s how you slip on banana peels. I’m definitely focused and I’m one fight at a time.

“People keep asking about (Ben) Askren and all these other guys that are in it; they’re not even on my radar right now. I’ve got one guy on my radar and that’s Brent.”

Having continued where he left off, it could very well be Hieron’s time again to shine in 2011.

“I’d like to get a shout-out for my team Xtreme Couture and all my sponsors,” he concluded. “All my fans, follow me on Twitter @jayhieron. I appreciate you guys supporting me.

“I was off the radar for a minute, and this is a nice little way to return. MTV2 and Bellator’s a great showcase for my talent. It’s time to let everybody know that I’m back.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Fedor Intends to End His Career with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 23 views

Former Pride champion Fedor Emelianenko doesn't appear likely to ever set foot in the Octagon. He wants to finish his career in the Bellator cage. read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

  • 29 days ago
  • 7 views

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

  • 29 days ago
  • 7 views

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Josh Koscheck vs. Mauricio Alonso added to Bellator 172 main card with Piccolotti-Primus canceled

  • 26 days ago
  • 6 views

Next month’s Bellator 172 card has lost a fight but gained two more, including the long-delayed promotional debut of former UFC title challenger Josh Koscheck.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Josh Thomson Faces Patricky 'Pitbull' in Bellator 172 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 7 views

A lightweight feature bout pitting Josh Thomson (22-8, 1 NC) against Patricky "Pitbull" (16-8) will serve as the co-main event of Bellator 172. read news >>

Josh Koscheck Returns at Bellator 172 Against Mauricio Alonso | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 9 views

A welterweight bout pitting Josh Koscheck (17-10) against Mauricio Alonso(12-7, 1 NC) has been added to the main card of Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione. read news >>

UFC boss Dana White watched Ortiz-Sonnen at Bellator 170 – and 'there's no way in hell' it was fixed

  • 25 days ago
  • 121 views

We’re 10 days removed from Tito Ortiz’s submission of Chael Sonnen in his retirement fight at Bellator 170, and there’s still just a little bit of talk left over for it. Filed under: Bellator, Featur read news >>

'Rampage' vs. 'King Mo' 2 rematch at Bellator 175 finds home in Chicago area on March 31

  • 24 days ago
  • 20 views

We found out about the rematch between Muhammed Lawal and Quinton Jackson at Bellator 175 earlier this month. Now we know a venue. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Fernando Gonzalez among Bellator 174 additions

  • 23 days ago
  • 8 views

Next month’s Bellator 174 fight card has a slew of new additions, including a pair of main-card bouts.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Two Feature Fights Added to Bellator 174 Main Card | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 days ago
  • 8 views

Two new bouts have been added to the Bellator 174: Corenen vs. Budd main card set for March 3 at WinStar World Casino & Resort in Thackerville, Okla. read news >>