#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Nate Diaz #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Time To Shine

Jay Hieron is hoping Tyron Woodley brings some aggression to the cage when they meet Saturday at UFC 156. If Woodley fights conservatively, though, Hieron says he’ll also be ready for that approach.

“He’s another tough guy,” Hieron told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “This is what I want right now at this point in my career is tough fights. I think I’m prepared. I’m as skilled as any man out there. What I see from him is he’s definitely more of a wrestler, and hopefully he opens it up a little bit. I’m prepared for anything. I come from a wrestling background too. His wrestling isn’t really scary to me or nothing like that.”

Woodley was a two-time All-American wrestler at the University of Missouri. In Strikeforce, he was able to take down and control opponents, though he also showed some capable striking skills when he let his hands go. Most recently, though, he lost the first fight of his career when Nate Marquardt knocked him out in July. Some fighters coming off their first loss would be gun-shy, but Hieron isn’t particularly focused on Woodley’s mindset.

“What I’ve got to do is concentrate on me and what I’m going to do in this fight and my skills and believe in what I’ve got, and when I get out there flow and see how it’s going and look for my opportunities to present themselves,” Hieron said. “I’m well prepared for that. Whatever game he wants to play, I think I can hold my own. … If he wants to try to lay on me, I think I’m one of the best at getting back to my feet. If he does get me down, which will be hard, I will get back up eventually. And I could go out and take him down too. My wrestling’s just as good.”

Hieron is also coming off a loss, having dropped a unanimous decision to Jake Ellenberger in October.

“My last fight, I still think I won, but I could have pushed a little more,” Hieron said. “So again, I’m going to be a little more aggressive but intelligent. I’m not a reckless fighter. I don’t stand there and just trade. I’m a thinking fighter. I see stuff coming at me and I move, but I’m definitely looking to open up opportunities.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:00:10).

Galleries

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Champ Tyron Woodley responds to Rafael dos Anjos' callout, has eye on Bisping-GSP winner

Champ Tyron Woodley doesn’t appear interested in granting UFC 215 winner Rafael dos Anjos the next UFC welterweight title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Hoping to Re-Book Ray Borg Fight Right Away | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson was supposed to be fighting on Saturday, but he was instead left answering questions. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Calls Out Tyron Woodley, the UFC Champ Responds On Air | MMAWeekly.com

After dispatching of Neil Magny, Rafael Dos Anjos took aim at UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley. read news >>

Sergio Pettis wastes no time, kindly asks UFC 215 winner Henry Cejudo to meet him in Detroit

After an injury forced Henry Cejudo out of a scheduled UFC 211 encounter, flyweight contender Sergio Pettis is hoping the two solve their unfinished business in December.Filed under: Blue Corner, New read news >>

Tyron Woodley May Undergo Surgery for Shoulder Injury; Considering Options

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has a partial tear of his labrum, and surgery is an option, SiriusXM Radio's R.J. Clifford reported Tuesday. According to Clifford, Woodley will explore all of read news >>

When's UFC champ Tyron Woodley coming back? He's currently weighing options

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is still trying to figure out what to do about a shoulder injury, but he’s just thankful the timing works out fairly well.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Paul Daley: Bellator 183 foe Lorenz Larkin 'below the level of fighter that I'm used to fighting'

Suffice to say, Paul Daley doesn’t think too highly of Lorenz Larkin.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

John Dodson Faces Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top 10 ranked bantamweights will meet at UFC Fight Night 120 on November 11. No. 8 ranked John Dodson and No. 10 ranked Marlon Moraes will square off inside the octagon. UFC officials annou read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

Meet David August, the man who dresses Conor McGregor for success

David August provides tailor-made suits and casual wear to the rich and famous, including Presidents Clinton and George W. Bush.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>