#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Fight Night Rotterdam #Holly Holm #Darren Till #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

For Jay Hieron, 2011 was a year in which success was measured more by the things he was able to accomplish, not by what he wasn’t.

“I came back from a lot of adversity in my life and did pretty well getting back on my feet and getting my career back in line,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “It was a pretty productive year for me.

“I became more well-rounded as a fighter and I got to show that. Some guys don’t utilize (time off); they don’t go about it the right way. They don’t try to sharpen up their skills or get better as a complete athlete. That’s one thing I live by, and I did that and came back strong.”

After winning Bellator’s Season Four welterweight tournament in May, Hieron was given a chance to face welterweight champion Ben Askren in October, falling just shy of claiming the title in a split-decision loss.

It’s a loss that Hieron doesn’t agree with.

“I still believe I won that fight,” he said. “Of course, the decision didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, but I feel I performed great. I think right now I’m the Bellator champion. He knows it, I know it, and everyone who watched the fight knows it.”

Still under contract to the promotion, Hieron would love to face Askren again, but he doesn’t feel he should have to toe the same line he did last year to get another title shot.

“Bellator goes by the tournament format, and I’m not doing the tournament again,” he said. “I feel I won the tournament and I feel I’m the Bellator champion and won the title; why would I go back and do the tournament again to claim what’s mine already?

“I like Bellator as an organization. I like how you earn your shot there, but I earned my shot and won it.”

With Bellator’s next season starting in early March, Hieron was asked when he thinks he’ll return to action.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I let my manager handle that. He’s talking to Bellator right now. It will definitely be sometime this year; probably April, May-ish sometime.”

When Hieron does finally return, he intends to be even better than he was before.

“Of course, there’s always another level,” he said. “Once you think you have it figured out, your days are numbered. I want to get to the top just like every other man, and I work towards that every day.

“Everything happens for a reason. I just try to stay positive and know there’s a plan for me and keep moving forward. I’m in the gym, training and keeping my body healthy. Once they call, I’ll be ready to go. It’s going to be a big year. I’m going to get back in there and show people what I can do.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Bellator 183's Lorenz Larkin despises Paul Daley: 'I've never not liked somebody like this guy'

Lorenz Larkin is not a fan of Bellator 183 opponent Paul Daley – and that’s putting it lightly.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Fans invited to this week's Bellator 183 weigh-ins, Fan Fest (and chance for a sick dinner prize)

Bellator’s return to its home base in San Jose, Calif., goes down this week, and fans can get up close and personal with MMA superstars.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Rematch to determine inaugural women's flyweight champion at Bellator 186

Bellator will crown its first female 125-pound champion at Bellator 186 with Ilima MacFarlane vs. Emily Ducote.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Check out the 'Bellator Flying Cage' that will descend upon Bellator 183 on Saturday

We’ve seen cages and rings in every shape and size, but Bellator will have a special apparatus at Saturday’s Bellator 183 event.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Watch Roy Nelson tussle with wing chun dummy ahead of Bellator 183

Not much about Roy Nelson’s technique screams kung fu, but the newly minted Bellator heavyweight is serious about his roots. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Patricky Freire sees Benson Henderson as tough foe, remains bothered by Josh Thomson

Patricky Freire headlines Bellator 183 against not only a former UFC champion – but also the last guy to beat his own brother. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator books Douglas Lima vs. Rory MacDonald title fight for Jan. 20

The Bellator welterweight title will be on the line in January.Filed under: Bellator read news >>

Rory MacDonald Tapped for Bellator Welterweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

Rory MacDonald is only one fight deep into his Bellator tenure, but he's already been tapped to challenge for the championship. read news >>

Why you should really pay attention to Paul Daley vs. Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183

There are certain fights that bring out your inner-fan, and Paul Daley vs. Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183 is one of them. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Gegard Mousasi requested Alexander Shlemenko be drug tested for Bellator 185

When Bellator middleweight Gegard Mousasi heard he’d be fighting ex-champ Alexander Shlemenko, he requested drug testing. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>