#Conor McGregor #Dynasty of Heroes #Fight One #UFC 211 #Justin Buchholz #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #Nate Diaz #Duane Ludwig #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Jon Jones #Angela Lee #Ben Askren #Cat Zingano #MMA KINGS

Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

With UFC Dragging Its Feet, Bellator Building Women's 125-Pound Class | MMAWeekly.com

While the UFC has often talked about a women's 125-pound division, Bellator is going full steam ahead and plans to crown a flyweight champion this year. read news >>

Ryan Bader will make '3 to 4 times' more in sponsorship money with Bellator

The UFC Athlete Outfitting partnership with Reebok hit many fighters hard in the pocket in terms of sponsorship dollars. Veteran light heavyweight Ryan Bader said he was one of them.Filed under: Bell read news >>

Bellator adds women's flyweights around former UFC title challenger Valerie Letourneau

The Bellator women’s flyweight division just got bigger with the signings of five fighters in addition to former UFC title contender Valerie Letourneau.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Benson Henderson targets late summer Bellator return after knee surgery

You might not know Benson Henderson has been operating under less-than-ideal conditions for the entirety of his three-fight Bellator career.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator's Ilima Macfarlane rips 'bull(expletive)' hype train of Anastasia Yankova

As time goes on, what once seemed like a certain showdown between Ilima Macfarlane and Anastasia Yankova may be moving further and further away from reality.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator's A.J. McKee views 'little puppy dog' James Gallagher as 'a joke'

The feud between unbeaten Bellator featherweight prospects A.J. McKee and James Gallagher continues to grow, and McKee has no problem throwing more fuel on the fire.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator champ Patricio Freire calls Mohegan chief 'condescending,' only interested in money

Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire is upset with the commission that oversaw his win over Daniel Straus. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Valerie Letourneau meets Emily Ducote in promotional debut at Bellator 181 on July 14

One of Bellator’s most recent notable signings will debut with the promotion this summer.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Valerie Letoureau Announces Next Fight and Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

Newly signed Bellator fighter Valerie Letourneau announced her first fight with the promotion on Monday and laid our her timeline for retirement. read news >>

Bellator's Leandro Higo details title fight weight-cut struggles, how he'll come back even stronger

After a split-decision loss to champ Eduardo Dantas in what became a non-title affair because of his own weight miss, Leandro Higo believes his tough display proved he’s capable of hanging with Bella read news >>