Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

David Rickels Says He's Better Than Bellator 171 Opponent in 'a Lot of Places' | MMAWeekly.com

David Rickels (17-4) will look to make things right for himself when he takes on Aaron Derrow (14-8) in a main card 155-pound bout at Bellator 171 on Friday. read news >>

AJ McKee Looking to Pick Brandon Phillips Apart at Bellator 171 | MMAWeekly.com

AJ McKee (6-0) will seek to keep his winning ways going when he takes on Brandon Phillips (6-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 171 on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 171's David Rickels rested, rejuvenated and ready to put training mode into cage

With 17 Bellator fights in a little more than five years, David Rickels needed a break following his knockout at the hands of Melvin Guillard at Bellator 159 in July.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): Bellator 170 winner Tito Ortiz, Eric Nicksick

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Tito Ortiz and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 171's Melvin Guillard eyes fight with Paul Daley, wants to avoid B.J. Penn-like career end

Melvin Guillard has a bout with Chidi Njokuani lined up for Friday’s Bellator 171 event, but he’s already considering what could come after, and he’s seeking an explosive fight in the welterweight di read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 171 with headliners Guillard, Njokuani heading in opposite directions

Last week’s Bellator 170 fight card earned fantastic ratings for the promotion. The question now becomes how many of those viewers were convinced to stick with the promotion for Friday’s Bellator 171 read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2370 with Bellator 170's Tito Ortiz, Eric Nicksick

Stream or download Wednesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Tito Ortiz and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio read news >>

Bellator 171 weigh-in results and live stream (6 p.m. ET)

Bellator 171 weigh-ins take place today, and you can watch a live stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 170 medical suspensions: Christian Gonzalez gets indefinite term – for stab wound

Several fighters were given lengthy medical suspensions following this past Saturday’s Bellator 170 event in California – including what may be a fighting first.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

The Speed Bag: Is it time to get excited about the heavyweights again?

There’s a pretty crucial women’s bantamweight tilt in the UFC on FOX 23 main event on Saturday, but that’s not the main event of our heart now, is it?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>