MENU
#Conor McGregor #Cris Cyborg #UFC 211 #Bellator 179 #Nate Diaz #Rory MacDonald #Angela Magana #Paul Daley #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Dhiego Lima #Hayder Hassan #Jon Jones


Jason

Jason "Mayhem" Miller

The UFC signing of Jason “Mayhem” Miller came as a surprise to some and was met with elation by others.

The always colorful middleweight has been out of action since last September when he defeated legendary Japanese fighter Kazushi Sakuraba. After several fights that would have landed him back on a Strikeforce card seemed to have fallen through, everyone began to wonder where is Mayhem?

With the announcement he signed with the UFC, the question was answered, but not the full story behind why he signed.

UFC president Dana White revealed on Wednesday that Miller was actually banished from both Showtime and CBS for his part in the April 2010 melee involving then Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and his entourage, which included Nick and Nate Diaz, as well as lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

After that time, Miller was issued a suspension from the Tennessee Athletic Commission and didn’t fight again until facing Sakuraba in Japan.

“Mayhem Miller he had a contract with those guys, he wasn’t being fought because he couldn’t fight on Showtime, he couldn’t fight on CBS, so he was in a bad position. So that’s why that happened,” White told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday about Miller’s signing.

White wasn’t upset with Miller over the altercation that happened on CBS, but instead put the onus back on the promotion to control what happens in the cage after a fight is finished. The UFC president alluded back to the Paul Daley situation when he sucker punched Josh Koscheck after their fight, and was then booted from the UFC for life.

“Mayhem, he’s banished from CBS for life. In my opinion, he was a guy that’s put into a position. First of all, we control what happens inside that Octagon, the fighters do not. In our organization, you don’t see melees break out and huge fights. You see what happens when somebody does cross the line and do stuff like that,” White stated.

“I think Mayhem was put in a bad position. I don’t know, I haven’t talked to Mayhem about this, this is just what I believe and conversations I’ve had with Joe Silva. I think he was put in there to promote a fight and anyone who would throw Mayhem Miller in there when the Diaz brothers are in there, it’s a (expletive) big melting pot for disaster. I don’t blame Mayhem for the whole situation.”

Regardless of past standing with Showtime and CBS, Miller has a new home with the UFC, and will make his return to action this July in a middleweight fight against Aaron Simpson.

“Joe (Silva) wanted him, so he got in here,” White said in closing.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Former UFC strawweight title challenger Valerie Letourneau signs with Bellator

  • 28 days ago
  • 7 views

The Bellator roster continues to bloom with the signing of former UFC title challenger Valerie Letourneau.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Al Iaquinta Rips into UFC and Dana White | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 63 views

Al Iaquinta hadn't fought for two years until recently because he was disgruntled. He is now more upset with Dana White and the UFC than ever. read news >>

Dana White Says Zuffa Turned Down $5 Billion for the UFC | FIGHTLAND

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

Photo by ?Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports? Last year when Zuffa, LLC sold the UFC to Hollywood mega-talent agency WME|IMG for $4 billion—$3,998,000,000 more than Zuffa had paid for it just 15 years earli read news >>

Former UFC owners turned down $5 billion buyout offer, per Dana White

  • 27 days ago
  • 277 views

The UFC sold this past July for about $4 billion, or $3.775 billion and a quarter-billion in earn-outs, if you want to get technical. But when the promotion's former owners were considering which buy read news >>

Dana White Claims UFC Shot Down $5 Billion Offer | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 21 views

What's more surprising than the UFC having been purchased for $4.2 billion? How about the idea that there were two higher bidders that were shot down? read news >>

Growing Up Dana White (video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 34 views

UFC president Dana White recently sat down to give some insight into what his life was like growing up. read news >>

Dana White says he's never been in it for the money. Can that possibly be true?

  • 26 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC President Dana White doesn't "even think about the money" he's made from the UFC's rise and recent sale, according to what he said in a recent interview. But while multimillionaires might have th read news >>

Dana White Couldn't Be a Bigger Believer in New UFC Owner | MMAWeekly.com

  • 21 days ago
  • 39 views

When UFC former owners sold the fight promotion in July 2016 for $4.2 billion to WME–IMG, the promotion's longtime president, Dana White, was distraught. read news >>

Dana White, Forrest Griffin take CNN on tour of new UFC headquarters

  • 20 days ago
  • 50 views

While the full campus isn’t quite open just yet, UFC employees recently made the move into the company’s impressive new headquarters in Las Vegas, and CNN cameras were invited in for a sneak peek of read news >>

Dana White Admits to Giving Conor McGregor 'Longer Leash' Than Others | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 25 views

UFC president Dana White admits that he gives Conor McGregor more leeway than he does other fighters on the fight promotion's roster. read news >>