#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Sydney #Ben Askren #TJ Dillashaw #Rose Namajunas #Cody Garbrandt

James Te Huna may have walked away from UFC on Fuel TV 4 with a unanimous decision over durable veteran Joey Beltran, but by no means did he leave the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., unscathed.

The native New Zealander revealed after the hard-fought contest that he had broken his left hand and one of his feet during the first five minutes of his three-round battle with the former heavyweight.

“Broken hand, broken foot -- I ain't gonna do much with that, but I thought I hit him pretty well,” Te Huna said at the post-fight press conference. “I thought I did well for three rounds with what I had.”

Te Huna was dominant in the first frame, despite injuring two of his four appendages, finding a home for his right hand often against Beltran, who managed to absorb several blistering blows without hitting the canvas.

“I was surprised,” Te Huna said. “I hit him with some of my biggest shots.. I lined them up and threw them as hard as I could. I tried to stay on his tail and put pressure [on him], but I couldn't get him down.”

Eventually, however, Te Huna managed to drop the ex-heavyweight, blasting Beltran with a vicious left hook in the round's final minute. The 30-year-old tried his best to finish the fight, but ultimately Beltran was able to hold on to see a second round.

The final two frames would not contain the same type of action from Te Huna, who was feeling the effects of his aforementioned injuries. Nevertheless, he moved forward, threatening with his right hand and taking Beltran to the mat on multiple occasions.

“I noticed [my injuries] toward the end of the first round. In the second round, I felt every bit of it, every time I stepped on that foot or used my jab,” said Te Huna. “I had to play it smart and try to get ahead on points.”

Though Te Huna says that his broken hand and foot did hinder his performance slightly, the light heavyweight also credits his opponent for his well-documented toughness.

“[The injuries] didn't take a lot out of my game, but it did affect my performance a little bit,” said Te Huna. “Take nothing away from Joey, though. He's tough as nails. He took some real big punches. I threw them as hard as I could, and he weathered the storm. I've done a lot of research on him, and he's a real hard worker. I knew he was going to be hard to finish, and it was going to be a war.”

The win marks the third consecutive victory for Te Huna, who has finished two-thirds of his career victims by knockout. Now a winner in four of his five Octagon outings, Te Huna says he will take on anyone the UFC asks him to face.

“I'm just taking it step by step, and whoever they match me up with, I'm going to work on that and up my game and try to get better,” he said. “I just have to fight better people and jump up to the next level.”

Comments

With UFC 217 win, did Georges St-Pierre just settle an old argument about MMA greats?

He walked away on top, then came back after a four-year hiatus and won a UFC title in a second division. After years of a pound-for-pound debate with no end, Georges St-Pierre might have just given u read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Sean Strickland wins hard-fought decision upon further review

Court McGee and Sean Strickland went toe-to-toe from the opening bell.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber says he accepted a fight with Conor McGregor at UFC 196 before Nate Diaz stepped in

• 4 hours ago

Before Nate Diaz fought Conor McGregor on short notice at UFC 196, there was a different fight in the works: McGregor vs. Urijah Faber.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Justin Gaethje wants to be 'most violent mother(expletive)' in MMA

• an hour ago

Justin Gaethje believes a violent finish over Eddie Alvarez at UFC 218 will help his lightweight title aspirations. Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Paul Felder credits manager for keeping him sane despite UFC 218 opponent switch

• 8 minutes ago

Paul Felder’s manager kept him in the dark, but that turned out to be a good thing.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Nina Ansaroff edges Angela Hill in high-paced affair

After struggling to start her UFC career, Nina Ansaroff now owns a two-fight winning streak after downing a game Angela Hill.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Karl Roberson Sinks the Choke on Darren Stewart (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Karl Roberson's first-round submission win over Darren Stewart at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Sage Northcutt sharp in return, cruises past Michel Quinones

After 11 months on the sidelines, Sage Northcutt looked sharp in his return to lightweight, cruising to a decision win over Michel Quinones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nina Ansaroff and Angela Hill Throw Down (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Nina Ansaroff's decision victory over Angela Hill at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Sage Northcutt Dominates Michel Quiñones (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Sage Northcutt's domination of Michel Quiñones at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>