#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Nate Diaz #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis

James Moontasri took a tough loss in his UFC debut. | Jeff Sherwood/Sherdog.com

James Moontasri was thrust into the UFC spotlight against Joe Ellenberger at UFC Fight Night “Swanson vs. Stephens.”

After signing a four-fight contract with UFC and being penciled in on short notice against an opponent known for overcoming the odds, Moontasri was given the opportunity to open the main card on Fox Sports 1.

For five minutes, everything went as planned for “Moonwalker,” as he picked apart Ellenberger on the feet and nearly earned a first-round stoppage. In fact, according to FightMetric.com, Moontasri landed 64 total strikes in the opening round -- 27 of them significant -- to Ellenberger’s seven.

The frame left MMA fans and pundits alike calling for a 10-8 score.

Over the course of the final two rounds, Ellenberger clawed his way back into the fight. The second clearly went to “Excalibur,” but outside of a lone takedown in the final round, Moontasri again did work when the fight was upright, landing 46 strikes to his opponent’s 12.

Ellenberger went on to take a split decision with scores of 29-28, 29-28 and 28-29. In an interview with Sherdog.com, Moontasri made no excuses for the loss.

“It was an amazing experience finally fighting in the UFC. I always tell my students to be humble when you win and even more humble when you lose,” Moontasri said. “I regret nothing I did in this fight. It was the best experience of my life. Win or lose, I learned, and that is the most important part.”

Even while Moontasri was being controlled by Ellenberger on the floor, the Black House MMA product still believed he was winning the fight.

“He was a good wrestler but didn’t control me that much more than I did him. He took my back, but I was fine. He was on his back more than me in the fight,” Moontasri said. “I thought I was winning the whole time, thought I won the first and third easily. I honestly thought I won until I heard the decision. I never have luck with the judges. Both my losses are by split decision. But it doesn’t matter what I thought; it only matters what those three judges thought.”

With a bright future ahead of him, look for Moontasri to bounce back from the controversial decision sooner rather than later.

“I like to stay active, so I’ll want to fight as soon as possible,” Moontasri said. “I tried to do the ‘People’s Elbow’ like The Rock at one point. Maybe I should have done whatever the judges wanted to see, but I don’t know what that is. I’m just glad I put on a good show for my debut.”

Comments

Finally ready for promotional debut, Tai Tuivasa ready to take spotlight at UFC-Sydney

• a day ago

The time finally has come for Tai Tuivasa in the UFC. Like play-by-play voice Jon Anik might say, “It shall be done.” Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: On McGregor's 'punishment,' Bisping's quick turnaround, and more

• a day ago

Did the UFC really punish McGregor, or did it merely pretend to? How ready is Bisping? Plus, who throws a boomerang at someone, honestly? Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fight Night Sydney – Fight by Fight Preview

Another fantastic fight card graces FS1 this Saturday as the UFC goes down under to Australia. Here we preview all the fireworks awaiting on Fight Night Sydney: Werdum vs Tybura. read news >>

Damien Brown admits stress of fighting out contract proved tough in last outing

• a day ago

When Damien Brown started his training camp for UFC Fight Night 121, it was with a pretty massive leap of faith. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Reportedly Charged for Hitting Colby Covington with Boomerang

• a day ago

UFC heavyweight Fabricio Werdum reportedly hit UFC welterweight Colby Covington with a boomerang during a dispute outside of a Sydney hotel and is facing common assault charges, according to 9News.co read news >>

Marcin Tybura sees major opportunity in UFC-Sydney headliner vs. Fabricio Werdum

• a day ago

Marcin Tybura is the underdog vs. Fabricio Werdum, but as Tybura puts it, “if you want to challenge yourself, you pick the better opponents.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cris Cyborg-Holly Holm title fight officially booked for UFC 219

• a day ago

The long-talked-about women’s featherweight title fight between champion Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm is officially on.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg, Holly Holm Will Fight at UFC 219, Likely to Be Main Event

• a day ago

Holly Holm will take on Cris "Cyborg" Justino at UFC 219, according to Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Cyborg will defend her recently acquired women's featherweight title in what will likely read news >>

'TUF 27' tryouts set for Dec. 12; UFC seeks undefeated male fighters only

• a day ago

Tryouts for the 27th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” will be open to undefeated male fighters in three different weight classes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>