#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #David Branch #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

UFC middleweight Jake Shields Friday released a statement issuing an apology for using a banned substance ahead of his UFC 150 clash with Ed Herman. The decision has resulted in a six-month suspension, according to the fighter.

Shields, who previously challenged for the UFC welterweight title before returning to 185 pounds, did not specify in his statement for which substance he tested positive. The Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the Aug. 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Shields’ statement reads:

“To my friends, fans and the UFC,

Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC. I have apologized to them, and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

Shields took a unanimous decision over Herman by controlling the lackluster contest both on the ground and in the clinch. The event was headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Benson Henderson and ex-titlist Frankie Edgar, in which Henderson retained his belt in a controversial, five-round split decision.

A 35-fight pro, Shields, 33, joined the UFC in 2010 after reigning as the Strikeforce middleweight king. The Californian has racked up a 3-2 record since entering the UFC fold, besting Martin Kampmann, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Herman, while stumbling against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger.

Comments

Joby Sanchez Has Fought His Way Back To The UFC | MMAWeekly.com

After being released from the UFC following The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale in late 2015, flyweight Joby Sanchez has fought his way back to the organization. read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Mairbek Taisumov needs just 84 seconds for one-punch knockout finish

After nearly 17 months away from competition, Mairbek Taisumov returned with a highlight-reel finish.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

'The Money Fight' medical suspensions: Conor McGregor gets 2-month suspension

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor is benched for two months following his 10th-round knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Issues Statement on Refunds for Mayweather vs. McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

The biggest fight of the year also ended up as the most problematic. Floyd Mayweather versus Conor McGregor was undoubtedly the most watched combat sports event in 2017, but unfortunately the demands read news >>

UFC issues statement on 'viral illness' that forced Ray Borg out of UFC 215; refunds available

The UFC has officially ruled Ray Borg out Saturday’s UFC 215 main event vs. Demetrious Johnson, citing a “viral illness.” Refunds are available to ticket-buyers.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nunes Seeks 2nd Title Defense vs. Shevchenko in UFC 215 Main Event

Two months after title fight was cancelled the morning of the fight, Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko are finally ready for their rematch with the women's bantamweight championship on the line i read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Issues Lengthy Statement Blasting UFC 215 Scoring | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko is not going quietly after dropping a split decision to Amanda Nunes. read news >>

UFC Issues Statement on Johnson vs. Borg Cancellation | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg took a major blow to the head late Thursday evening when the main event was canceled. Having been struck with an illness, Ray Borg was medically ruled unfit to compete less read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Official Fight Poster Released (PHOTO) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216 appears to be remaining as the Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee show as the official fight poster was unveiled. read news >>

Ray Borg Releases First Statement After Being Pulled from UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Ray Borg wanted nothing more than to compete for the flyweight title on Saturday night at UFC 215. Unfortunately, a viral infection knocked the top five ranked fighter out of his fight against reigni read news >>