#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Bellator 191 #Jared Cannonier #UFC 218 #Francis Ngannou #Michael McDonald #Conor McGregor #Peter Ligier

SYDNEY – It wasn’t very smooth sailing for Jake Matthews on Saturday night in front of his home fans. But a win is a win is a win.

Matthews (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) took a split decision from Bojan Velickovic (15-6-1 MMA, 2-3-1 UFC) in their welterweight bout on the UFC Fight Night 121 main card. It was Matthews’ return to 170 pounds for the first time since before he was in the UFC.

UFC Fight Night 121 took place at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney. It aired on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

“It’s obviously good to get the win,” Matthews told MMAjunkie after the fight. “I was very nervous before this fight after the last two losses. I knew I had to get the win, but the nerves had shut me down a bit. It wasn’t the best fight. I pretty much flipped the game plan around.”

Matthews came into the fight with back-to-back losses as a lightweight. The victory was his first since a “Fight of the Night” submission of Johnny Case in March 2016.

Getting back in the win column was crucial for Australia’s Matthews, so much so that he said he had to control the emotion to make sure he focused on the fight.

“I was just harboring a lot of emotion,” Matthews said. “I couldn’t even look at the crowd walking out because I would start crying. To be fighting in Australia, back in the octagon after 12 months out, I could hear all my friends and family – it was good.”

Ten of the 14 media members tracked by MMADecisions.com scored the fight for Velickovic, though. Only three scored it for Matthews, and one scored it a draw.

But Matthews believes he’ll start to feel more comfortable in his new weight class and thinks welterweight is where he belongs after being at lightweight his first seven fights in the UFC.

“I’ve still got a good 12 months before I probably get up to a proper welterweight size,” Matthews said. “I went 7-0 as a welterweight (before I came to the UFC), and I was walking around probably at 165 pounds back then – weighing in in pants and with phones in my pocket just to seem bigger.

“Obviously, welterweight in the UFC is a little different. I was just testing the waters (Saturday), but I’m just happy to get a win. I got a little bit sick after the last one cutting that much weight, so I felt a lot better this time.”

For more from Matthews, check out the video above.

And for complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 121, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Justin Gaethje wants to be 'most violent mother(expletive)' in MMA

Justin Gaethje believes a violent finish over Eddie Alvarez at UFC 218 will help his lightweight title aspirations. Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

With fear of being cut, Andre Soukhamthath 'took matters into my own hands' at UFC-Fresno

Andre Soukhamthath wasn’t going to give up his UFC roster spot easily and “saved” himself with a big win at UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gabriel Benitez holds no ill will over Jason Knight's finger-bite at UFC-Fresno

Gabriel Benitez brushed off any notions of Jason Knight being a dirty fighter after a UFC Fight Night 123 biting incident.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 123 video highlight: Andre Soukhamthath TKOs Luke Sanders

Andre Soukhamthath’s hard right hand signaled the end for Luke Sanders at UFC-Fresno.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cub Swanson doesn't want to 'crawl back' to UFC contract offer; Dana White aims to please

Cub Swanson bet big on himself at UFC Fight Night 123 but came up short in the final bout of his contract.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Check Out Robbie Lawler's Brutal Finish of Josh Koscheck in His UFC Return (Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

In his first fight back in Octagon at UFC 157, Robbie Lawler scored a knockout of the night victory over Josh Koscheck back in 2013. read news >>

Aljamain Sterling tweets that he's OK after brutal knockout by Marlon Moraes at UFC-Fresno

What happened to Aljamain Sterling at UFC Fight Night 123 was downright scary, but he’s feeling OK.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Currently a 'no one,' Gabriel Benitez plans to take Jason Knight's ranking at UFC-Fresno

Gabriel Benitez is feeling no pressure or expectations ahead of his co-main event bout with Jason Knight at UFC-Fresno.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alex Perez feeling right at home – literally – for promotional debut at UFC-Fresno

There are a lot of things going Alex Perez’s way these days.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trevin Giles Stops Antonio Braga Neto with Bloody KO (UFC Fresno Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Trevin Giles' knockout of Antonio Braga Neto at UFC Fight Night 123 on Saturday in Fresno, Calif. read news >>