#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #UFC Fight Night 117 #Michael Bisping #Gokhan Saki #Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2

Jake Ellenberger wanted to fight Johny Hendricks, and he’ll get the opportunity March 16 at UFC 158.

In an interview Wednesday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Ellenberger discussed the matchup, title contention and more.

On Hendricks: “I’m not disagreeing with anybody who thinks Johny is the No. 1 contender. I’m not disagreeing with that because he’s put together the wins. At the same time, he did accept a fight with me, which is respectable on his part. I’m sure he doesn’t want to sit out for a long period of time. That’s definitely a fight that I wanted. That’s the fight that I asked for, but I’m not Joe Silva or Dana [White]. It’s up to them. At the end of the day, they make the decisions. I’m just really stoked I got the matchup.”

On title contention and getting a title fight: “There’s nothing that’s ever for sure. Until you sign a contract, you don’t know for sure who you’re fighting. And there’s always injuries, but that’s just kind of the way this sport is. That’s the way it works. You’ve got to be open to new ideas. It’s constantly changing.”

On his loss to Martin Kampmann and how far it dropped him down the welterweight ladder: “It’s hard to say. Six wins in a row was on top of the world. You’re really only as good as your last fight. It was very disappointing. Kampmann, he just comes back. He’s a super tough cat. It was tough to deal with. For me, it was kind of a test. How bad do you really want to be the best? How bad do you want to be up there? For me, I kind of had to take a look at myself ... and figure out what I can do to get better. Everything’s constantly changing. You can put together two or three wins and get a shot against the champ.”

On Hendricks calling him more dangerous than Georges St. Pierre: “I appreciate that. I’ve had nothing but good things to say about Johny as well. The guy’s dangerous. ... At the end of the day, when you’re in the cage and you’re fighting another guy who has the power to put you out in one punch -- granted you can get caught in submissions and transitions -- but if somebody can [land one punch] and you lose consciousness, that’s something to say.”

On who has the best shot to beat St. Pierre: “If you’re in Georges St. Pierre’s shoes, who is the biggest threat to his title? That would be Johny and myself.”

On why Hendricks has been successful: “The thing that Johny has that a lot of guys don’t is that he’s competed in wrestling at the highest level. He knows how to compete. He kind of fights with no fear. … I think the fact that he’s fearless in there makes him dangerous.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:01:29).

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Alistair Overeem Would Say Yes If Asked to Fight Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

No. 1 ranked UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is willing to risk his spot to fight lower-ranked Francis Ngannou. read news >>

UFC 215's Ketlen Vieira confident but level-headed ahead of 'golden opportunity' vs. Sara McMann

Ahead of her the toughest opponent of her undefeated career, Ketlen Vieira is all respect for onetime title challenger Sara McMann.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116's Mike Perry not so subtly accuses Thiago Alves of ducking

Mike Perry is upset at opportunity lost by Thiago Alves’ withdrawal. But he’ll take it out on short-notice replacement Alex Reyes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fans invited to Thursday's UFC Fight Night 116 open workouts in Pittsburgh

If you’re in Pittsburgh for UFC Fight Night 116, you’ll have an opportunity to get up close to the fighters at the top of the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Is the Heel Nobody Asked for

Luke Rockhold won a fight this past weekend. It was the first time he'd done that since late 2015, when he won the UFC middleweight title, and his first appearance since mid-2016, when he lost that s read news >>

If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dominick Cruz is Ready and Willing | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is willing to step in if champion Cody Garbrandt of TJ Dillashaw have to pull out of UFC 217. read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

• a day ago

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117's Ovince Saint Preux didn't blink at switch to Yushin Okami

• a day ago

Ovince Saint Preux’s first thought when he heard he’d be fighting Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 117 was something like, “Oh yeah, that guy.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor Could Address US Congress over MMA Fighters' Rights

• a day ago

After making his boxing debut, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may appear before the United States Congress in an effort to expand the protection of rights afforded to mixed martial arts figh read news >>

Video replay: Today's UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins in Japan

• a day ago

Check out a replay of the UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins, which took place today in Tokyo.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>