#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #MMA Rocks #KSW 40 #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams

Jacob Volkmann came out kicking against Shane Roller in their Oct. 5 matchup at UFC on FX 5, and he feels the unexpected strategy helped him score his first finish in the Octagon.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Volkmann discussed his win, how he would have done in a presidential debate and more.

On fighting in his home state of Minnesota: “It was pretty nice hearing everybody cheer for me when I walked out, and especially they were on their feet cheering when I submitted him.”

On opening the fight with kicks: “I think the thing that changed the whole fight, that made the fight go my way, was right off the bat, I kicked him in the head. It did hit him in the head, and he kind of gave me this look like, ‘Where the heck did that come from?’”

On where his kicks and punches came from: “I’ve been kicking for a while. It was just a matter of time for me to open up my hands.”

On whether fans should expect him to deliver a knockout soon: “That’s the goal. Why not? It would be nice to get a knockout.”

On whether the win over Roller erased the memory of his loss to Paul Sass: “No, it definitely doesn’t erase the memory. I’m probably never going to let that memory go just because I made a stupid mistake, and that’s something I have to deal with, but it’s going to help me. It’s going to make me stay focused in the next fights. It’s not a total negative thing that happened.”

On Roller: “I expected a little more power on the ground. He didn’t really have too much power on the ground. Pretty much as soon as I got that figure-four in, he just stopped doing anything. Just protected his head, and that was it.”

On why he always feels that his back is against the wall: “I think I read too much Twitter. I’ve got a lot of haters on Twitter. I don’t know. It’s getting to my head, I think. I hate Twitter.”

On why he’s active on Twitter: “I have to. There’s a lot of fans on Twitter. I like those guys, but you always get a negative person who tries to beat you down.”

On whether he’s himself in interviews or playing a character: “I say what’s on my mind. My teammates always say that I’m a little too forward. That’s me.”

On whether he’s marketable: “I have no idea. You tell me. I don’t know anything about marketing.”

On whether he would have won a debate against Barack Obama and Mitt Romney: “No. No. Some of that stuff, I had no idea what they were talking about. ... Most of the stuff I understood, but there was some stuff, I was like, ‘What in the heck?’”

On how Dana White would do as president of the United States: “I think he’d do a decent job because he’s all business. He’d get rid of the unnecessary spending a lot better than the other two are.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 34:45).

Comments

Las Vegas resident Brad Tavares kicks off UFC 216 with powerful message

Longtime Las Vegas resident Brad Tavares kicked off UFC 216 with a powerful message to his adopted city.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 discussion thread

MMAjunkie is reporting live from UFC 216 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, which kicks off at 6:30 p.m. ET. You can discuss the event here.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 results: Brad Tavares jabs, kicks way to unanimous decision over Thales Leites

Brad Tavares made easy work of Thales Leites, battering the Brazilian with a steady left jab and a vicious right kick. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC vet Jon Tuck shares the secret to dumping massive weight in the bathroom

Beneil Dariush kicks off tonight’s UFC 216 pay-per-view main card, and Jon Tuck will be in his corner. The friendship has taught Tuck some tricks of the trade.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 Fight Card: PPV Schedule, Odds and Predictions for Ferguson vs. Lee

The trash talk is over. All that's left is for Kevin Lee to step foot inside of the Octagon to take on Tony Ferguson in tonight's UFC 216 main event in Las Vegas. There's been enough verbal sparring read news >>

Derrick Lewis injured, UFC 216 fight vs. Fabricio Werdum cancelled last minute

Just minutes before UFC 216 was slated to begin, a key matchup was pulled from tonight’s lineup. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' late withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum

Check out the top Twitter reactions to Derrick Lewis’ injury and withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Derrick Lewis vs. Fabricio Werdum Pulled from UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

A featured heavyweight fight on the UFC 216 main card has been cancelled just minutes before the event was set to begin. Derrick Lewis was pulled from the card after a lingering back injury flared up read news >>

UFC 216 results: John Moraga KOs 6-1 favorite Magomed Bibulatov with vicious left hand

Against an unbeaten prospect who was a 6-1 favorite, ex-title challenger John Moraga didn’t have many picking him to beat Magomed Bibulatov.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Moraga's UFC 216 KO of Magomed Bibulatov is even more glorious in super slow motion

This is how you bring a hype train to a screeching halt.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>