#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

Jacob Volkmann made headlines in 2011 for criticizing President Barack Obama, but he’s found a new target ahead of his bout Saturday against Paul Sass at UFC 146.

“I’ve got a new enemy in mind right now,” Volkmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

When asked about that enemy, Volkmann indicated fans will find out who it is at UFC 146. He added that it is an organization, not an opponent, and then he didn’t hesitate to criticize how he has been matched in the UFC.

“I’ve got five wins in a row now and I still don’t even have a top-20 [opponent],” Volkmann said. “You can go from there. I’ve never had a top-20 guy yet.”

Volkmann dropped his first two bouts in the UFC, but he won the next five, all via decision. He thinks his style, however, has hurt him when it comes to moving up the promotion’s ranks.

“They don’t like my style, the more technical kind of ground game,” Volkmann said. “I haven’t finished a fight, too. That’s another thing that has to do with me not getting a top-10 [opponent].”

Volkmann’s fight against Sass is scheduled for the preliminary card. He said no one from the UFC has approached him directly to discuss his style, but he’s certain the way he wins is why he’s on the undercard.

“Dana White, I think it was before [I fought] Efrain Escudero, he said in the back before the fight started, after the weigh-ins, he was saying the people that are on the main card are there for a reason: because they finish fights,” Volkmann said. “It’s pretty much well known why people are on the main card.”

With that said, Volkmann actually understands the UFC’s reasoning.

“I think it sucks, but it’s kind of fair because they’ve got to pay their bills too,” he said. “They’ve got to make the crowd excited. The people that pay for the pay-per-views, they want to try to keep them coming back and throwing what they think are the most exciting fights.”

Of course, Volkmann could change and make his style more entertaining for fans, but he doesn’t plan on it.

“I’m not going to try to cater to them because what I’m doing is winning,” he said. “I’m going to stick to what works for me. I’m a wrestler. I’m going to take the guy down and I’m going to try to submit him. That’s my strength, and I’m going to stick with that.”

As a consequence, he realizes a loss to Sass could cost him his job in the UFC. That means he needs to make his five-fight win streak a six-fight win streak, or he might have to find another promotion to compete in.

“If I lose, I’m pretty sure they’ll cut me, to be honest,” Volkmann said. “They don’t like my style.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 13:03).

Comments

Patricky Freire sees Benson Henderson as tough foe, remains bothered by Josh Thomson

Patricky Freire headlines Bellator 183 against not only a former UFC champion – but also the last guy to beat his own brother. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Rory MacDonald sends Douglas Lima scary GIF after fight booking, champ responds

Rory MacDonald and Douglas Lima are already beginning to trade shots ahead of their Bellator welterweight title fight on Jan. 20.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, News read news >>

Fighter Badly Misses Weight at UFC Japan Weigh-Ins, Stumbles off Scale

Another day, another controversial UFC weigh-in. Ahead of the promotion’s most recent attendance in Japan, to be headlined by a fairly uninteresting fight between Ovince Saint Preux and a returning Y read news >>

Scott Coker knows plenty about those comparisons to the UFC ahead of Bellator 183

Scott Coker knows a few things about having his promotion compared to the big guns at the UFC. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

'People to Kill': Brooke Mayo brought fresh antics to Bellator 183 weigh-ins

Brooke Mayo had a special message for Kaytlin Neil ahead of Bellator 183 and brought a notebook to share.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

A Fight with Conor? Bellator 3-Division Champ? Rory MacDonald Wants It All

Rory MacDonald seems to have found some extra swagger since arriving in Bellator MMA. Perhaps there's good reason for that. Long regarded as one of the top welterweights in the world, the 28-year-old read news >>

Lightweight title eliminator headlines ONE Championship 66 in Thailand

A lightweight title challenger and No. 1 contender will be crowned at “ONE Championship 66: Warriors of the World.”Filed under: News read news >>

Shannon Wiratchai vs. Rasul Yakhyaev Headlines ONE: Warriors of the World in Bangkok | MMAWeekly.com

Shannon Wiratchai and Rasul Yakhyaev have a title shot on the line when they headline ONE: Warriors of the World. read news >>