#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

Jacob Volkmann is hoping he’ll have plenty of support Friday in his native Minnesota when he takes on Shane Roller at UFC on FX 5. Of course, he doesn’t just want his fans to root for him -- he’d also like them to vote for him in the upcoming presidential election.

Ahead of his bout against Roller, and ahead of the election, Volkmann recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, politics and more.

On fighting in Minnesota: “It is a little more nerve-wracking. I know there’s going to be a lot of family and friends here. I am going to stay in a hotel room, though, a few nights before, then for the next three nights just because I want to focus.”

On whether he can take Roller down: “Yeah. I’ve watched the videos. I’ve seen a lot of times where he just opens up. Whenever you put the heat on him, he defends himself and his arms are up. It’s pretty easy to see the opportunity to take him down there.”

On whether this fight is a must-win: “Oh, this is a must-win for sure. Not only just to stay in the UFC, but just because I have a lot of bills to pay. After a loss you only get half of what the contract is [for winning].”

On why he fights instead of focusing on his career as a chiropractor: “I’ve been competing my whole life. It’s something my whole life I’ve been training for, just competing. I love to compete. I figure I’ve only got a handful of years left of competing, so I might as well keep on doing it when I can.”

On whether he’s satisfied with how the UFC has promoted him: “They’re doing what pays the bills. Obviously I haven’t finished a fight yet in the UFC. That’s the main thing that they’re weighing their decision on. I can’t really hold it against them. They’ve got to pay their bills too.”

On why he hasn’t been able to get a finish in the UFC: “I don’t know. I don’t know why Danny Castillo didn’t tap to that one [choke]. I couldn’t get underneath Antonio McKee’s neck. Just a fluke. That’s the way it goes. ... Ninety percent of the people that I’ve got the D’Arce in, that I got Danny Castillo in, well, probably 99 percent of people would have tapped on that. That was extremely tight. I don’t know how he even got blood to his head.”

On whether he expects to see “Volkmann for President” shirts at the event: “I’m hoping so. I gave about a hundred of them away to people that are going to the Target Center. I’m hoping there will be over a hundred shirts there because I’ve sold some too.”

On how many write-in votes he’ll receive this election: “If you’re smart, a lot. Especially if you don’t like Obama, but you don’t want to vote for Romney, just put my name in there.”

On whether he’s a fan of Mitt Romney: “No. I don’t like his haircut.”

On whether he has a “Volkmann for President” sign in his yard: “I have two of them. I’ve got two yard signs. … I was going to put more, but I didn’t want to spend too much money on my campaign.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 57:12).

Comments

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: Latest Prop Bets and Fight Card Odds

There is plenty of money flowing around the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor in Las Vegas on Saturday. It's good business for Sin City, the event is expected to shatter pa read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Purse: Projected Prize-Money Payouts Before Fight

After plenty of buildup, Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor will finally battle in the ring Saturday night. Of course, their prize money has nothing to do with the result of the upcoming bout. The t read news >>

Here's the Mayweather-McGregor merchandise being sold inside T-Mobile Arena

There’s plenty of different types of merchandise being sold inside the T-Mobile Arena for Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Despite Loss, Conor McGregor Can Hold His Head High and Has Plenty of Options

Conor McGregor couldn't will himself to victory against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday in Las Vegas, but give the swaggering 29-year-old UFC champion credit for making things fun. Taking advantage read news >>

Despite Loss, Conor McGregor Can Hold His Head High and Has Plenty of Options

Bellator signs prospect Tyree Fortune, twin brother of heavyweight Tyrell Fortune

Bellator has doubled its Fortune.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC partners with Derrick Lewis to donate to Houston

UFC would like to extend our support to the wonderful city of Houston, Texas. We have partnered with UFC Heavyweight and Houston local, Derrick Lewis, to donate 10k towards the relief efforts. The c read news >>

UFC 215: Johnson vs Borg Fantasy Preview

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine the two title fights and plenty more from this upcoming card to see who has the edge and who might be primed for an upset at UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg. Order read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes' girlfriend Nina Ansaroff to critics: Support the sport

UFC women’s strawweight Nina Ansaroff said the criticism bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes received after pulling out of UFC 213 made them train a little harder for UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Hoping to Re-Book Ray Borg Fight Right Away | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson was supposed to be fighting on Saturday, but he was instead left answering questions. read news >>