#Fight Night London #Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #Kamaru Usman #Demian Maia #UFC 224 #Enrique Barzola #Brandon Davis #Conor McGregor #Claudio Puelles #Andrea Lee #Veronica Macedo

J.J. Aldrich: Controlling nerves allowed me to be new fighter at UFC Fight Night 124

ST. LOUIS – J.J. Aldrich was a victim of the infamous octagon jitters in her UFC debut, and she lost. In her third fight with the promotion at UFC Fight Night 124, she said those nerves were channeled in a positive way, and she got the win.

“I think I was able to control and bring those nerves (in),” Aldrich told MMAjunkie following her unanimous decision win over Danielle Taylor. “Thinking back to even my debut with the UFC, all the nerves and the thoughts going through my head compared to today was just completely different. I felt like a new fighter in there.”

Aldrich (6-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) outstruck Taylor (9-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) over the course of three rounds at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 124 event, which took place at Scottrade Center in St. Louis. The strawweight bout streamed on UFC Fight Pass prior to the remainder of the card on FS1.

The performance marked Aldrich’s second consecutive UFC win after dropping her debut. It didn’t come easy, though. The 25-year-old did not get a very favorable style matchup. At 5-feet tall, Taylor is the shortest fighter on the UFC roster. Moreover, she’s a counter-striker with a lot of speed, and therefore difficult to put hands on.

Aldrich, 25, was able to time Taylor well and land some solid punches and kicks during the 115-pound contest. She said she knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but managed to effective implement the strategy put together by her team.

“I thought we executed the game plan we came up with and I was able to keep Danielle at bay with her speed and her power crosses,” Aldrich said. “She caught me once really good in the third. Other than that, I felt like I was able to move and avoid the punches like I need too.

“Everyone was like, ‘You’re so much taller than Danielle. Danielle’s so short – she has to fight you,'” she continued. “It’s like, ‘No, Danielle’s been fighting tall people her entire career.’ It’s my first time fighting someone that I’m so much taller than. It was more of a change for me than her. But she’s super tough and I know she’s really fast. Obviously she’s got knockouts, so she’s very dangerous, but I felt like I was able to do my game plan.”

UFC Fight Night 124 marked Aldrich’s return to competition after an inactive 2017 campaign. She fought just once this past year, but after getting a win so early on the calendar, she said the hope is for a busy next 12 months of competition.

“I really want a big year,” Aldrich said. “I only got to fight once last year. It was mid-year, so it was like every six months. I’d like a decent turnaround. A little bit of a break, but I want to stay active and get good wins and work my way up.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 124, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Dan Hooker Lays Out Jim Miller (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Dan Hooker's brutal knee knockout of Jim Miller at UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 Results: The Real Winners and Losers

Two title contenders were likely created Saturday at UFC Fight Night 128. Happening almost entirely on Fox Sports 1, the event took place from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey... read news >>

Twitter reacts to Kevin Lee's victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Fight Night 128

See the top Twitter reactions to Kevin Lee’s win over Edson Barboza in the UFC Fight Night 128 main event. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Steps on the Gas to Defeat Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 128 | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar made a quick return to the Octagon to get the win over Cub Swanson on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 128 in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

Kevin Lee Dominates Edson Barboza (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Kevin Lee's dominant victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

UFC Atlantic City video highlights: David Branch KO's Thiago Santos

Watch David Branch’s big finish of Thiago Santos at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

David Branch Stops Thiago Santos with Crushing KO (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from David Branch's crushing knockout of Thiago Santos at UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

Twitter reacts to confusing Ricky Simon-Merab Dvalishvili finish at UFC Atlantic City

Ricky Simon was awarded a TKO victory at UFC Fight Night 128 despite his opponent seemingly making it past the final bell. read news >>

Santiago Ponzinibbio Out of UFC Chile Main Event Fight Against Kamaru Usman | MMAWeekly.com

A hand injury has forced Santiago Ponzinibbio out of his main event fight against Kamaru Usman at UFC Fight Night in Chile on May 19. Sources close to the fight confirmed the news on Saturday followi read news >>

Matt Serra to be Inducted into UFC Hall of Fame Class of 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC announced on Saturday that former UFC welterweight champion and winner of season four of The Ultimate Fighter, Matt Serra, has been named to the UFC Hall of Fame class of 2018 as a Pioneer. The 2 read news >>

UFC Atlantic City video highlights: Ricky Simon's wild TKO of Merab Dvalishvili

Check out the stunning finish to Ricky Simon vs. Merab Dvalishvili at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

Corey Anderson won big at UFC Atlantic City, then traded meaningful glances with Misha Cirkunov

Did Corey Anderson reach an unspoken agreement for an upcoming fight after his dominant performance at UFC Fight Night 128? read news >>

Trading Shots: UFC doesn't want to be in business with Leslie Smith, but does want Greg Hardy?

Is it a bad look for UFC to let Leslie Smith go while embracing controversial ex-NFL player Greg Hardy? Danny Downes, Ben Fowlkes discuss. read news >>

TMZ Captures Conor McGregor Flipping Off Photographers at Airport in Ireland

UFC star Conor McGregor has finally returned to Ireland after the violent incident that got him arrested at UFC 223's media day, and he treated photographers to a middle finger upon his arrival at read news >>

Wouldn't it be nice to not wonder if Matt Serra deserves to be a UFC Hall of Famer?

Matt Serra is a UFC Hall of Famer, but with an unclear selection process, the promotion does a disservice to fighters who would be voted in – if that existed. read news >>

'The Decisionator' Ryan LaFlare threw 'kitchen sink' at Alex Garcia with hopes of first UFC finish

Ryan LaFlare said he did everything he could to get his first stoppage win under the UFC banner at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>