#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Sage Northcutt #Thiago Alves #Curtis Millender #Bellator 194

J.J. Aldrich: Controlling nerves allowed me to be new fighter at UFC Fight Night 124

ST. LOUIS – J.J. Aldrich was a victim of the infamous octagon jitters in her UFC debut, and she lost. In her third fight with the promotion at UFC Fight Night 124, she said those nerves were channeled in a positive way, and she got the win.

“I think I was able to control and bring those nerves (in),” Aldrich told MMAjunkie following her unanimous decision win over Danielle Taylor. “Thinking back to even my debut with the UFC, all the nerves and the thoughts going through my head compared to today was just completely different. I felt like a new fighter in there.”

Aldrich (6-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) outstruck Taylor (9-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) over the course of three rounds at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 124 event, which took place at Scottrade Center in St. Louis. The strawweight bout streamed on UFC Fight Pass prior to the remainder of the card on FS1.

The performance marked Aldrich’s second consecutive UFC win after dropping her debut. It didn’t come easy, though. The 25-year-old did not get a very favorable style matchup. At 5-feet tall, Taylor is the shortest fighter on the UFC roster. Moreover, she’s a counter-striker with a lot of speed, and therefore difficult to put hands on.

Aldrich, 25, was able to time Taylor well and land some solid punches and kicks during the 115-pound contest. She said she knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but managed to effective implement the strategy put together by her team.

“I thought we executed the game plan we came up with and I was able to keep Danielle at bay with her speed and her power crosses,” Aldrich said. “She caught me once really good in the third. Other than that, I felt like I was able to move and avoid the punches like I need too.

“Everyone was like, ‘You’re so much taller than Danielle. Danielle’s so short – she has to fight you,'” she continued. “It’s like, ‘No, Danielle’s been fighting tall people her entire career.’ It’s my first time fighting someone that I’m so much taller than. It was more of a change for me than her. But she’s super tough and I know she’s really fast. Obviously she’s got knockouts, so she’s very dangerous, but I felt like I was able to do my game plan.”

UFC Fight Night 124 marked Aldrich’s return to competition after an inactive 2017 campaign. She fought just once this past year, but after getting a win so early on the calendar, she said the hope is for a busy next 12 months of competition.

“I really want a big year,” Aldrich said. “I only got to fight once last year. It was mid-year, so it was like every six months. I’d like a decent turnaround. A little bit of a break, but I want to stay active and get good wins and work my way up.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 124, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Watch Derek Brunson Crumble Dan Kelly: UFC KO of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Derek Brunson make short work of Dan Kelly at UFC Fight Night 110. Brunson faces "Jacare" Souza at UFC on FOX 27 on Jan. 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina. read news >>

Joe Soto Excited To Go Into Hostile Environment At UFC Fight Night 125 | MMAWeekly.com

On February 3 in Brazil, Joe Soto (18-6) will look to get back on track against Iuri Alcantara (35-9) in a main card 135-pound bout at UFC Fight Night 125. read news >>

Eryk Anders Feels No Pressure Facing Lyoto Machida at UFC Fight Night 125 | MMAWeekly.com

At UFC Fight Night 125, unbeaten Eyrk Anders faces the biggest challenge of his career when he takes on former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. read news >>

Michael Bisping announces he's not competing at UFC Fight Night 127 in London

With tickets set to go on sale later this week, UFC Fight Night 127 in London is still in need of a main event. read news >>

Lyoto Machida: Eryk Anders Should Be Careful What He Wishes For | MMAWeekly.com

Lyoto Machida returns to the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 125 on Saturday with a stern warning for opponent Eryk Anders. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Faces Alexander Volkov in Main Event at UFC Fight Night in London | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum will return to action in March as he faces upstart contender Alexander Volkov in the new main event just announced for UFC Fight Night in London on March 1 read news >>

Twitter reacts to Lyoto Machida's narrow win over Eryk Anders at UFC Fight Night 125

See the top Twitter reactions to Lyoto Machida’s win over Eryk Anders in the UFC Fight Night 125 main event. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Earns $50,000 Bonus For Bloody Beat Down At UFC Fight Night in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko will leave Brazil with her first win at flyweight in the UFC as well as an extra $50,000 for 'Performance of the Night' in her win over Priscila Cachoeira. Shevchenko absolutely read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 suspensions: Priscila Cachoeira faces six months

Following a brutal beatdown at UFC Fight Night 125, Priscila Cachoeira is facing a six-month medical suspension. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Donald Cerrone vs. Yancy Medeiros at UFC Fight Night 126

Who wins the UFC Fight Night 126 headliner between Donald Cerrone and Yancy Medeiros? Fellow fighters gave us their picks. read news >>