#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Venom

georges-st-pierre-ufc-167-post2After weeks of speculation and a few days of true uncertainty, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre today made it official: He’s vacating his title and taking some time off.

St-Pierre today made the announcement during a media call carried by MMAjunkie Radio.

St-Pierre, long ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweight rankings, said he simply needed a break from the sport. He made his decision after talking to UFC President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

“I’ve been fighting for a long time,” St-Pierre said. “I have 22 fights in the UFC, and 15 were for a world title. I’ve been fighting a long time at a high level, a lot of pressure and criticizing. I’ve decided I needed to take some time off.”

St-Pierre didn’t count out the possibility of returning to the cage in the future, but he had no immediate plans. That prompted his decision to vacate his title.

“The UFC is a business,” he said. “I’m vacating my title out of respect for the other competitors.”

Soon after he narrowly edged Johny Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) via split decision at UFC 167, St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) said he would be taking time off from the sport in an emotional post-fight speech and declined to identify the apparently serious issues gnawing at him.

“I can’t sleep at night, man,” he said after the Nov. 16 event. “I’m going crazy. I have issues and I need to get out for a while. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I feel like I’m leaving everything out now, but I need to leave part of my life personal. I need to get out for a little bit, and that’s it.”

White initially was adamant that Hendricks deserved an immediate rematch and that he expected St-Pierre to put off any type of layoff.

However, with St-Pierre planning to discuss his future today at an appearance at a mall in Quebec City, the UFC booked the media call with White just prior to it.

After speaking with St-Pierre, who said he simply couldn’t go through with another training camp and considered taking a break even before UFC 167, White said he understood.

“I agree with Georges 100 percent,” White said. “… I think it’s the right move.”

Despite the temporary loss of the UFC’s biggest-pay-per-view draw, all’s not lost for the promotion. St-Pierre isn’t calling it a retirement and vowed he’ll return to the cage.

“Definitely one day I will come back,” he said. “I’ll be stronger when I do, but it has to be on my own terms.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Listen to today's UFC 216 conference call with Ferguson, Lee, Johnson, and Borg (5 p.m. ET)

Listen as the four title-fight competitors from UFC 216 address the media ahead of next week’s event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Sept. 26: Does Jessica Andrade deserve another title shot?

With both the UFC and Bellator in action over the weekend, plenty of fighters had a chance to make a statement, but perhaps none did more so than Jessica Andrade.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Official Fight Poster Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

What do you think of the official UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre fight poster? read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 play-by-play and live results (8 p.m. ET)

MMAjunkie is reporting live from UFC Fight Night 117. Join us for live play-by-play and official results beginning at 8 p.m. ET.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

That big UFC 217 event with 3 title fights? Here's the official poster

As far as UFC events go, UFC 217 is a biggie, and now the November blockbuster has an official poster.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Five bouts set for Fresno card

The UFC's first card in Fresno is starting to take shape, with five bouts made official for the Dec. 9 event at Save Mart Center. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Oct. 3: Who deserves the next shot at Conor McGregor?

At Saturday’s UFC 216 event, an interim UFC lightweight champion will be crowned. But is that person the one that deserves to challenge for the undisputed belt?Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, Ne read news >>

Here's the official UFC-Gdansk poster with 'Cowboy' and Darren Till

Check out the official poster for UFC Fight Night 118, which marks just the second time the UFC has visited Poland.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216's Kevin Lee a man of few words ahead of interim title showdown

Kevin Lee rarely has nothing to say. But today was a different story.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>