#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #Colby Covington #TJ Dillashaw #Fabricio Werdum #Cody Garbrandt #Fight One #Dustin Poirier

Ed HermanUFC middleweight Ed “Short Fuse” Herman’s fight with Jake Shields this past August was possibly the most disappointing moment in his recent career.

Initially it had seemed that Herman had lost a unanimous decision, only to have the fight overturned to a no contest after Shields tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

“I was making a little run there and to go in there and lose, I feel like I had a bad performance and wasn’t able to showcase my skills,” said Herman. “For him to test positive, it takes a loss off my record, so that’s good I guess, but it doesn’t change how much I got beat and that stuff still hurts.”

The fight with Shields came after Herman had won three fights in a row and gotten his career back on track following a patch where he had lost three out of four.

Looking to recapture his momentum, Herman signed up to take a fight that almost no one else was willing to when he agreed to face Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza at the final Strikeforce event, taking place Saturday night in Oklahoma City, Okla.

“I heard like eight or nine guys turned this fight down,” said Herman. “I thought it was a good opportunity. I need to fight. Fighting is what I do. I hadn’t fought since August, so I needed a fight.”

Herman knows he’s in for a tough night against the former Strikeforce 185-pound champion, but he’s also confident he can defeat Souza if he sticks to his game.

“It’s probably the toughest fight of my career, but it’s a good match-up for me, because I feel like he’s never fought anybody like me,” said Herman. “I don’t want to screw around too much with him, but I want to work my ground and pound, work my hands, my clinch and do what I do best.

“I can pressure him, make him tired, make him taste his own blood and make him quit. That’s what I do best is just grind guys down, break their will, and I’m going to try to do that with him.”

Herman feels a victory over Souza not only will start the year off right for him, but also help springboard him in the rankings, which will only become more difficult to achieve once Strikeforce fighters integrate with the UFC in the coming months.

“With every fight being so tough these days – especially for me, since they don’t give me any easy ones – I’ve got to go in there and get a win, and then from there things can really go up for me,” said Herman. “I believe that I’ve always been a little underrated, and any of the guys I’ve fought in my weight class they know I’m tough and that I’m not an easy fight.

“I believe I’m right there right now, but I’ve got to prove it a little bit more to the fans, the UFC and everybody else that I’m a Top 10 guy. That’s the plan here, is to go in there and put it on Jacare and show that even with this transition and all these guys coming in that I am a Top 10 guy.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine news and fight coverage.

Comments

Ovince Saint-Preux Now Faces Corey Anderson at UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

Saint-Preux replaces Patrick Cummins on the upcoming card on Nov. 4. read news >>

Karolina Kowalkiewicz aims to rebound from skid at UFC-Gdansk – and celebrate with a cookie

Karolina Kowalkiewicz takes on UFC debutant Jodie Esquibel in her native Poland on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 official weigh-in video, results (3 a.m. ET)

MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC Fight Night 118 fighter weigh-ins.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 official weigh-in photos and video highlights

Check out the video highlights and photo gallery from today’s official UFC Fight Night 118 fighter weigh-ins in Gdansk, Poland.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Take A Look Inside Donald Cerrone's BMF Ranch (UFC Gdansk Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone takes viewers on his unorthodox ranch in New Mexico, and explains his process for accepting and training for fights. read news >>

Colby Covington undeterred, insists UFC title shot close once he beats Demian Maia

Ever confident about his future in the UFC welterweight division, Colby Covington believes his title shot is around the corner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Artem Lobov after weighing in: 'Choo choo motherf*ckers! You can't stop The Siberian Express!'

All aboard The Siberian Express, folks! Artem Lobov is coming to UFC Fight Night 118!Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch the only man to knock out UFC champ Cody Garbrandt do so in a 2014 amateur fight

The man who handed UFC champ Cody Garbrandt a highlight-reel KO in an amateur MMA fight returns this weekend at CFFC 68.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 118 Weigh-in Live at Noon ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night Gdansk official weigh-in streaming live at noon ET from Gdansk, Poland. read news >>

Jan Blachowicz hopes to end ‘bad luck’ streak vs. Devin Clark at UFC-Gdansk

Jan Blachowicz has lost four of his last five fights heading into his UFC-Gdansk main-card bout vs. Devin Clark.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>