Earlier this week, UFC President Dana White wouldn’t discuss or speculate on a possible return for former champion Brock Lesnar. But it appears one former opponent is angling for a rematch.
During Thursday’s pre-UFC 168 media scrum, White was asked about rumors that Lesnar would be attending tonight’s event in Las Vegas. White was tightlipped and said he had no additional details.
But one fellow retired heavyweight seems interested in the WWE vet and ex-UFC champ, especially if he returns to the cage: ex-interim titleholder Shane Carwin.
Lesnar and Carwin first fought at UFC 116 in July 2010. In the title-unification bout, Carwin nearly forced a first-round TKO stoppage, but Lesnar survived the ground-and-pound attack and secured a fight-ending arm-triangle choke in the following round. Neither fighter won another MMA bout.
Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) lost the title to now-reigning champ Cain Velasquez in his next fight and then announced his UFC retirement after a subsequent TKO loss to Alistair Overeem in late 2011. He later rejoined the WWE, where he’s again emerged as one of the pro wrestling organization’s bigger draws.
Carwin (12-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC), meanwhile, subsequently suffered a decision loss to Junior dos Santos, and after a lengthy injury hiatus, ultimately announced his official MMA retirement earlier this year.
And adding further fuel to the fire, the UFC is making a special announcement at 6 p.m. ET tonight prior to UFC 168. While the announcement could be related to the UFC’s new digital network, a recent Carwin tweet suggests perhaps it’s something else.
Can't wait to hear the big news?!:)—
Shane Carwin (@ShaneCarwin) December 27, 2013
Regardless, join us at 6 p.m. ET for a live stream and full coverage of the announcement.view original article >>
For a brief flicker of time it appeared the UFC had the opportunity to book a massive super fight between Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones as both fighters were engaged in a war of words between interviews read news >>
UFC President Dana White said on a recent episode of ESPN's Dan Le Batard Show that WWE would not allow Brock Lesnar to fight again in the UFC while under contract with WWE. During the interview (h/t read news >>
UFC president Dana White had a strong message in response to the Las Vegas shooting to open UFC 216 on Saturday night. read news >>
UFC 216 was a night for healing and unity in the city of Las Vegas. But it was also a regular old UFC event, which means UFC President Dana White had to go and get mad at someone.Filed under: Blue Co read news >>
Mark Hunt issued an expletive-filled message to UFC President Dana White after the heavyweight fighter was removed from the UFC Fight Night show in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 19. Hunt's message to Wh read news >>
Mark Hunt knows exactly why he was pulled from the UFC Fight Night card in Australia although his excuse most likely doesn't jive with the reasons the promotion gave him the hook. On Tuesday, Hunt wa read news >>
UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>
On Thursday, UFC President Dana White shot down rumors that Conor McGregor was in negotiations to appear at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans. Appearing on Good Day New York (h/t Corey Jacobs of Wrestli read news >>
Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>
The recently UFC on FOX 26 main event between Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos is a title-eliminator in the welterweight division. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>