#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

“I started off a little slower than I wanted to, but I’m pretty damn athletic man, second-most athletic heavyweight around,” said Matt Mitrione after his win over Tim Hague at UFC Fight For The Troops 2, shooting a sly sideways grin at training partner Pat Barry. “As a result, I need to make people fight in my game.”

Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

That he did on Saturday night, stuffing Hague’s takedown attempts and working him with a solid jab. Mitrione dropped the Canadian midway through the first round of their fight with a straight left hand then finished him off with strikes for the TKO stoppage.

Can you really call a 2:39 stoppage a slow start?

Mitrione does, but that’s because has lofty expectations for himself.

“For this fight, I wanted to emulate Dominick Cruz,” he said after the fight.  “I wanted to be the 265-pound Dominick Cruz.  I love the way you fight brother, you’re elusive, and I wanted to be just like that.”

Cruz is the UFC’s first 135-pound champion, known for his unorthodox and perpetual movement in the Octagon, attacking from all angles.

“He’s so elusive man. He uses his athleticism to make everybody else change their game. Scotty Jorgensen is a tough, tough little fellow and Dominick made him look like a child, took him down at will, head strikes coming from every angle, finished with beautiful leg kicks,” said Mitrione, recounting Cruz’s recent title defense.

“And the way that Dominick’s game plan is and the way that he makes everybody so uncomfortable with his movement because it’s so herky-jerky and so unpredictable. I love the way he fights. I respect it. I told him before hand, I’m going to try and fight like you.”

Much of Mitrione’s athleticism comes from his time as a professional football player, having played for the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings in the NFL. He’s only four fights into his mixed martial arts career, but that athleticism, while not quite up to par with Cruz’s yet, has allowed Mitrione to find success in the UFC when most fighters of his experience would be trying to fight their way up on regional promotions.

Mitrione is still in a highly exploratory phase of his growth, not quite sure where he stands in the overall scheme of the sport.

“This fight was the same as my last fight with Joey Beltran, so I can’t say where this really puts me as far as my progression as a martial artist. As a martial artist, I don’t really know where the hell I am because I haven’t really had the chance to capitalize or really see where my ground game is,” he assessed. “I don’t really know where my progression is. I know as a stand-up guy I can really let ‘em fly.”

Not that Mitrione is looking to get into a wrestling match anytime soon.

“I’m not asking for a wrestler, I’m just saying I don’t exactly know where (my ground game) is. I prefer to trade leather, I’d prefer to let my shins and my hands fly.”

Galleries

Dominick Cruz Fights

• a year ago

Matt Mitrione Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Dominick Cruz Explains How Conor McGregor Can Beat Floyd Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

Dominick Cruz acts as coach for Conor McGregor in his boxing superfight with Floyd Mayweather. read news >>

Dana White Believes Mayweather vs. McGregor Will Shatter Pay-Per-View Records | MMAWeekly.com

When Floyd Mayweather versus Manny Pacquiao sold over 4.6 million buys on pay-per-view it felt like that would hold onto the all time record for quite some time. If UFC president Dana White has his w read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Doesn't Think 'Extremely Heavy' Conor McGregor Will Make Weight

Floyd Mayweather said in an interview with FightHype.com that he believes Conor McGregor currently weighs 164 pounds—well above the 154-pound limit for Saturday's fight—and doesn't believe he'll be a read news >>

Calderwood vs. Rawlings, Kennedy vs. Volkanovski set for UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

The UFC’s return to the “Land Down Under” has another pair of fights headed for the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Can Conor McGregor Win? MMA's Best Coaches Analyze His Chances

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Top NFL teams have sophisticated video setups, state-of-the-art systems that allow players to pull from a collection that includes every play from every game around the league. Da read news >>

Co-headliner Fernando Gonzalez believes an exciting Bellator 182 display could lead to a title shot

Brennan Ward hasn’t gone the distance in his 14 Bellator encounters, and Fernando Gonzalez is not expecting to change that at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Tom Duquesnoy says he's fighting Cody Stamann at UFC 217 in New York

The lineup for the UFC’s return to Madison Square Garden this fall continues to build with the addition of a new bantamweight bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: PPV Schedule, Odds and Weigh-In Live Stream

It's hard to drown out the NFL, yet the impending encounter between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor will do just that beginning Friday and on through the weekend. The almost ridiculous trash read news >>

Kevin Lee: I'll show Conor McGregor is human after winning 'real' title vs. Tony Ferguson

Kevin Lee’s ambitions in the UFC’s lightweight division go beyond Tony Ferguson, though he won’t stress over fighting Conor McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>