“I started off a little slower than I wanted to, but I’m pretty damn athletic man, second-most athletic heavyweight around,” said Matt Mitrione after his win over Tim Hague at UFC Fight For The Troops 2, shooting a sly sideways grin at training partner Pat Barry. “As a result, I need to make people fight in my game.”

Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

That he did on Saturday night, stuffing Hague’s takedown attempts and working him with a solid jab. Mitrione dropped the Canadian midway through the first round of their fight with a straight left hand then finished him off with strikes for the TKO stoppage.

Can you really call a 2:39 stoppage a slow start?

Mitrione does, but that’s because has lofty expectations for himself.

“For this fight, I wanted to emulate Dominick Cruz,” he said after the fight.  “I wanted to be the 265-pound Dominick Cruz.  I love the way you fight brother, you’re elusive, and I wanted to be just like that.”

Cruz is the UFC’s first 135-pound champion, known for his unorthodox and perpetual movement in the Octagon, attacking from all angles.

“He’s so elusive man. He uses his athleticism to make everybody else change their game. Scotty Jorgensen is a tough, tough little fellow and Dominick made him look like a child, took him down at will, head strikes coming from every angle, finished with beautiful leg kicks,” said Mitrione, recounting Cruz’s recent title defense.

“And the way that Dominick’s game plan is and the way that he makes everybody so uncomfortable with his movement because it’s so herky-jerky and so unpredictable. I love the way he fights. I respect it. I told him before hand, I’m going to try and fight like you.”

Much of Mitrione’s athleticism comes from his time as a professional football player, having played for the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings in the NFL. He’s only four fights into his mixed martial arts career, but that athleticism, while not quite up to par with Cruz’s yet, has allowed Mitrione to find success in the UFC when most fighters of his experience would be trying to fight their way up on regional promotions.

Mitrione is still in a highly exploratory phase of his growth, not quite sure where he stands in the overall scheme of the sport.

“This fight was the same as my last fight with Joey Beltran, so I can’t say where this really puts me as far as my progression as a martial artist. As a martial artist, I don’t really know where the hell I am because I haven’t really had the chance to capitalize or really see where my ground game is,” he assessed. “I don’t really know where my progression is. I know as a stand-up guy I can really let ‘em fly.”

Not that Mitrione is looking to get into a wrestling match anytime soon.

“I’m not asking for a wrestler, I’m just saying I don’t exactly know where (my ground game) is. I prefer to trade leather, I’d prefer to let my shins and my hands fly.”

Tyron Woodley Says His Adjustments are Easier Than Stephen Thompson's (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Welterweight champion Tyron Woodley believes the adjustments he has to make are easier than Stephen Thompson's heading into their UFC 209 rematch. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

One to Watch: Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC The UFC’s first 2017 show to be broadcast on Fox is a big one. Taking place in the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado, UFC on Fox: Shevchenko vs. Peña (otherwise known as read news >>

One to Watch: Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou | FIGHTLAND

Dominick Cruz dismisses Raphael Assuncao's callout, says next fight will be for UFC belt

Dominick Cruz didn’t get an immediate rematch after he lost the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in December. However, if the former champ is to be believed, his next fight will st read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 pre-fight facts: 'The Korean Zombie' finally returns

The UFC’s annual Super Bowl weekend event takes place Saturday, with this year’s festivities at Toyota Center in Houston. Check out all of the pre-event facts for UFC Fight Night 104.Filed under: Fea read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>