MENU
#Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Cris Cyborg #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #Paul Daley #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Angela Magana #Daniel Cormier #Jon Jones


200px-mayweather.jpg In case you missed it, Floyd Mayweather Jr. shockingly announced his retirement from professional boxing on Friday.

The move stunned quite a few people in the boxing world because plans had been in motion for a rematch between Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya to take place on Sept. 20. The fight has been canceled and with it, Mayweather is walking away from a $20 million payday for the fight.

“It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today,” Mayweather said in a statement. “I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport.

“I have said numerous times and after several of my fights over the past two years that I might not fight again. At the same time, I loved competing and winning and also wanted to continue my career for the fans, knowing they were there for me and enjoyed watching me fight. However, after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find. So I have finally made up my mind, spoken to my family, particularly my mother, and made my decision.”

To me, the decision makes little sense. While there were very few hurdles left in climb in boxing for Mayweather, to walk away from $20 million for just one more fight speaks volume. I don’t think he’s walking away to take up golf or sit around and play shuffleboard. Mayweather is still a relatively young man (he’s 31) still in his athletic prime. There has to be something else going on here that we don’t know about.

Mayweather participated in a pro wrestling angle for the WWE earlier this year, which culminated in a featured match with Paul “The Big Show” Wight at Wrestlemania this past match. Mayweather’s haul for the performance has been rumored to be anywhere between $2-20 million. Officials were said to have been happy with Mayweather’s performance and the door was left open for his return.

In addition to pro wrestling, Mayweather has also flirted with the idea of getting involved with MMA. In recent months, Dallas Mavericks owner and HDNet Fights founder Mark Cuban announced that Mayweather was looking to get involved in MMA. It was unclear at the time as to whether he was looking to become a competitor or get involved in an ownership capacity.

But the timing of Mayweather’s announcement is very curious. UFC President Dana White revealed earlier this week that a huge announcement is planned for this coming Thursday. I speculated in a column earlier today that I believe it will have to do with network television. But what if I’m wrong and the announcement had to do with Mayweather signing a contract to fight for the UFC?

Sounds a bit far fetched, doesn’t it? Well, the idea of Mayweather walking away from a $20 million payday is equally far-fetched. For him to walk away from that kind of money likely means he’s walking towards something that could be even more lucrative. I’m just not 100 percent sure what it is.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Valerie Letoureau Announces Next Fight and Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 9 views

Newly signed Bellator fighter Valerie Letourneau announced her first fight with the promotion on Monday and laid our her timeline for retirement. read news >>

Friday's LFA 11 Gets New Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

  • 21 days ago
  • 8 views

Legacy Fighting Alliance (LFA) CEO Ed Soares announced on Tuesday that the LFA will have a new headliner for its first trip to Arizona this Friday on Cinco de Mayo. The new main event of LFA 11 will read news >>

Charlie Ward welcomes newcomer Galore Bofando to octagon at UFC Fight Night 113

  • 20 days ago
  • 4 views

As Conor McGregor previously announced, his SBG Ireland teammate will compete at UFC Fight Night 113 in Scotland.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Longtime UFC veteran Nik Lentz announces departure from American Top Team, figuring out future plans

  • 20 days ago
  • 5 views

Nik Lentz today announced he’s no longer a part of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., ending a five-year relationship with the famed MMA training center.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter 26' to crown first-ever UFC women's flyweight champion

  • 20 days ago
  • 7 views

The UFC is introducing a 12th weight class as the promotion announced today that “The Ultimate Fighter 26” will culminate with the crowning of the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under read news >>

Anthony Johnson's UFC retirement didn't surprise Ryan Bader

  • 19 days ago
  • 213 views

Ryan Bader said he was far less caught off guard than most by the surprise retirement of Anthony Johnson following his UFC 210 title-fight loss to Daniel Cormier last month.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>

Ricardo Abreu Receives 4-Year Suspension for Second Steroid Positive | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 3 views

USADA announced on Friday that UFC athlete Ricardo Abreu has been suspended for four years following his second positive steroid test. read news >>

Kevin 'Baby Slice' Ferguson Jr. Added to Bellator 179 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 10 views

Bellator announced on Friday that a new Catchweight bout featuring Kevin ‘Baby Slice’ Ferguson Jr. has been added to Bellator 179. read news >>

Dana White calls Anderson Silva's bluff: 'If you're considering retirement, you should probably do it'

  • 17 days ago
  • 264 views

Earlier this week, former pound-for-pound king and ex-middleweight champion Anderson Silva threatened to call it quits on the sport if he doesn’t get an interim title fight for his next bout. Now the read news >>

Conor McGregor, Girlfriend Dee Devlin Announce Birth of Son

  • 17 days ago
  • 95 views

Conor McGregor and his girlfriend, Dee Devlin, announced the birth of their son Conor Jack McGregor on Friday night, according to the Irish Mirror's James Ward. "There's great news for the McGregor's read news >>