#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

vanessa-porto-2.jpgVanessa Porto’s first Invicta FC fight was not a success. But as she proved in her return bout, the disappointing debut was not an indicator of her potential.

“Tara LaRosa was the favorite,” Porto (15-5) told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “She had been ranked No. 1 in the world. I surprised a lot of people.”

Porto’s loss was a submission defeat at the hands of onetime Strikeforce fighter Sarah D’Alelio. But Porto rebounded with a decision win over LaRosa and has now been invited back for a third appearance under the Invicta FC banner. She now meets Barb Honchak (7-2) at tonight’s Invicta FC 5 event, which takes place at Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Mo.

The pair meets with the promotion’s inaugural flyweight belt on the line. Fighting in the co-feature of the online pay-per-view, Porto enjoys her highest-profile fight to date, but she doesn’t believe there’s any reason for concern.

“For me, it’s just my job,” Porto said. “I’ve been training my entire life. I don’t feel pressure. I understand the historical significance, and Barb is a great fighter, but I don’t feel pressure because I’m well-trained.

“Invicta is growing rapidly. Many new girls are fighting for us now. It will be a great card. The belt is an added value to our competition, but I’m not feeling any stress.”

Porto still lives and trains in Brazil where her husband, former pro fighter Pedro Iglezia, handles head-coaching duties.

“He trains me in everything: standup, ground, nutrition, fitness, et cetera,” Porto said. “I’ve always worked with him.

“He stopped competing, and he’s concentrating on helping me in MMA. He’s working for me now. We improve during and between each new bout. The main thing is to keep my stamina up and keep improving the technical aspects, always getting better.”

The loss to D’Alelio remains Porto’s lone defeat in her past six appearances. But with the impressive win over LaRosa, she’s now in line to become champion in a promotion that seems primed to establish itself as a premier destination for female fighters.

Porto said the loss, while unfortunate, fueled her drive to tonight’s fight.

“In life, one always has losses and wins,” Porto said. “A loss like that forces one to work hard to overcome, to maintain a clear head and to keep moving forward. I’m always training hard and striving to win.”

For more on Invicta FC 5, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Jennifer Maia puts 125 title on line vs. Agnieszka Niedzwiedz at Invicta FC 26 in December

Invicta FC will return in December, a week later than previously reported, and the flyweight title will be on the line in the main event.Filed under: News read news >>

Michael Bisping Shoots Down Lawsuit Against Him as 'Total Bullocks' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping claims that a recent lawsuit filed against him is simply an opportunistic endeavor and called it "total bollocks." read news >>

After D'Arce choke win, Vicente Luque wants recent UFC main-event winner Darren Till next

After taking advantage of a short-notice opportunity, Vicente Luque has lofty aspirations for his next outing.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: More than Conor McGregor, homophobic slurs by UFC fighters 'definitely a problem'

UFC President Dana White expressed concern about a recent growing trend of UFC fighters using homophobic language.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Invicta FC 26 Gets Three New Bouts | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced a flyweight replacement and three new bouts for Invicta FC 26. read news >>

Mackenzie Dern signs with Invicta FC, meets Kaline Medeiros in Kansas City

Mackenzie Dern is heading to Invicta FC with an eye on staying unbeaten in her pro career. Filed under: News read news >>

Jiu-Jitsu Ace Mackenzie Dern Inks Invicta FC Deal with an Eye on the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Multiple-time jiu-jitsu world champion Mackenzie Dern has inked a deal with Invicta FC, which could finally give her followers the answer to the question, "When are you going to fight in the UFC?" Af read news >>

Mackenzie Dern makes Invicta FC debut in December

As one of the top Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners on the planet and the daughter of BJJ royalty, Mackenzie Dern is used to having the spotlight on her. On Dec. 8, the spotlight on the unbeaten pros read news >>

Damien Brown admits stress of fighting out contract proved tough in last outing

When Damien Brown started his training camp for UFC Fight Night 121, it was with a pretty massive leap of faith. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC's Volkan Oezdemir issues statement on arrest following 'bar room altercation'

UFC fighter Volkan Oezdemir has issued a statement through his management team following his recent arrest.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>