#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Bellator 191 #Jared Cannonier #UFC 218 #Francis Ngannou #Michael McDonald #Peter Ligier #Conor McGregor

A potential UFC women’s bantamweight bout has been scrapped due to an injury.

Former title challenger Bethe Correia (10-3-1 MMA, 4-3-1 UFC) today announced a planned – but not formally announced – bout with Irene Aldana (7-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) targeted for January has been canceled after she suffered an injury.

Correia posted a picture in a hospital gown and a taped-up left eye (via Twitter and Instagram):

In the first place I want to thank @irene.aldana for agreeing to fight with me in January. She was very excited to go to war with a Mexican woman. Unfortunately, I had an accident, had to go through an emergency surgery and my return to the most famous octagon in the world will take few more months. I was so excited to show to the world my evolution and what I learned with my experiences in Thailand and in Texas, anyway … I'll meet you in the first semester of 2018. Injuries are a part of a fighter’s life and it prepares us for tough battles and for the overcoming of adversity, making us psychologically stronger. I want to thank Dr. Remo Turchetti for the success of the treatment, making me fit and prepared for the next @ufc battles. . Primeiramente queria agradecer a Irene Aldana, por aceitar lutar comigo em janeiro, estava super animada em ir pra guerra com uma mexicana. Infelizmente tive um acidente, tendo que passar por uma cirugia de urgência e minha volta ao octógono mais famoso do mundo será adiado por uns meses a mais. Estava extremamente empolgada em mostrar ao mundo minha evolução e o que aprendi nos meus intercâmbios na Tailandia e no Texas, enfim… encontro vocês no primeiro semestre de 2018. Lesões faz parte da vida de lutador e serve para nos preparar para batalhas duras e com a superação nos deixa psicologicamente mais forte. Quero agradecer ao Dr. Remo Turchetti pelo sucesso no tratamento, me deixando apta para as próximas batalhas no UFC.

A post shared by Bethe (@bethecorreia) on

According to Correia, who’s an honorable mention in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA women’s bantamweight rankings, unranked Aldana had agreed to the fight before the injury. Details of the injury, which required surgery, weren’t disclosed:

“In the first place I want to thank you @irene.aldanafor agreeing to fight with me in January. She was very excited to go to war with a Mexican woman. Unfortunately, I had an accident, I had to go through an emergency surgery and my return to the most famous octagon in the world will take a few more months. I was so excited to show the world my evolution and what I learned with my experiences in Thailand and in Texas, anyway … I’ll meet you in the first semester of 2018. Injuries are a part of a fighter’s life and it you prepare us for tough battles and for the overcoming of adversity, making us psychologically stronger.
I want to thank Dr. Remo Turchetti for the success of the treatment, making me fit and prepared for the [email protected]

Correia, who now hopes to return in the first quarter of 2018, is likely in a must-win situation. After winning her first three UFC fights, the 34-year-old Brazilian earned a title shot but then suffered a knockout loss to then-champ Ronda Rousey at UFC 190 in 2015. It commenced her current 1-3-1 skid, which included a knockout loss to ex-titleholder Holly Holm in June’s UFC Fight Night 111 headliner.

Aldana, a 29-year-old Mexican fighter, made her UFC debut in December 2016 after a solid run with Invicta FC. However, she’s since suffered decision losses to Leslie Smith (in a “Fight of the Night” performance) and Katlyn Chookagian.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Bethe Correia Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Shanghai Fighter Pulled for Potential Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Heavyweight fighter James Mulheron has been pulled from this weekend's UFC Fight Night 122 fight card after being flagged fro a potential anti-doping violation. read news >>

Bryan Caraway out at UFC-Fresno, Luke Sanders needs new opponent

Injury has forced Bryan Caraway out of a planned contest with Luke Sanders, leaving UFC officials on the search for a bantamweight foe.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC: USADA notifies Amanda Lemos of potential anti-doping violation

Amanda Lemos failed a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) drug test and has been notified of a potential UFC anti-doping policy violation.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Shamil Abdurakhimov Knocks Chase Sherman Senseless (UFC Shanghai Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the fight highlights of the heavyweight bout between Shamil Abdurakhimov and Chase Sherman from UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai. read news >>

Could Nate Diaz Follow Conor McGregor from the UFC into Boxing?

Nate Diaz has been chasing a rubber match with Conor McGregor for over a year now, and he might be willing to hunt that opportunity across multiple sports. Following an ominous tweet from Diaz hintin read news >>

Sergio Pettis would give up title shot if UFC wants Demetrious Johnson vs. T.J. Dillashaw

Sergio Pettis is all about this potential champion vs. champion fight between Demetrious Johnson and T.J. Dillashaw, even if it cost him.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'TUF 26' finalist Sijara Eubanks breaks silence on weight miss that scrapped UFC title shot

“TUF 26” finalist Sijara Eubanks has released her first public statement in the wake of a weight miss that scrapped her shot at the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight title.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Joseph Benavidez on initial pain, isolation, helplessness of injury recovery: 'I cried every day'

Perennial UFC flyweight contender Joseph Benavidez recently opened up about a part of a fighter’s life we rarely see: the often-emotional toll of an injury recovery. Filed under: Featured, News, Radi read news >>

Jordan Mein: Comeback has been '(expletive),' goal is to 'basically die in there' for UFC-Winnipeg win

Jordan Mein’s return from retirement hasn’t exactly gone to plan, but the UFC welterweight is not deterred by his results. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Flyweight Pietro Menga doesn't weigh in for UFC on FOX 26, fight with Tim Elliott scrapped

• a day ago

A flyweight fight on the prelims at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 26 card has been scrapped on the day of the weigh-ins. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>