#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Conor McGregor #Alexander Volkov #UFC 222 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #UFC 217 #Fight Night Rotterdam

Injury forces champ Patricio Freire out of Bellator 188; Lahat vs. Labiano new headliner

Injury has caused a major blow to this Thursday’s Bellator 188.

Featherweight champion Patricio Freire (26-4 MMA, 14-4 BMMA), who was supposed to meet Daniel Weichel (39-9, 8-1 BMMA) in the night’s title headliner, today announced that he had to withdraw due to “multiple injuries.” News of the canceled main event was first reported on Twitter by Ram Giboa.

Bellator 188 takes place Thursday at Menora Mivtachim Arena Arena in Tel Aviv, Israel. The main card airs on Spike the following day via tape delay.

In a statement released on Instagram, “Pitbull” Freire elaborated on the issues that plagued his camp. While he tried his best to work around a series of injuries, Freire said that, last Thursday, one of them got worse. After a sparring session on Friday, the champ and his team decided he was in no condition to step in the cage.

“It’d be a disrespect to me, to the fans, to my opponent and to Bellator,” Freire stated. “I’ll have to take 30 days off, and then I’ll be able to start training again. I plan to fight in February at the latest and defend my belt against Daniel Weichel.”

“I’m sad to announce I’ll no longer be fighting in Israel next week. Multiple injuries prevent me to perform.

A couple months ago due to a training accident I suffered a serious injury and started treating it immediately. I had to stop training for a few weeks and then I was able to start with several limitations. But due to those, other parts of my body were overcharged and new injuries kept piling up.

I’ve been doing physical therapy three times a day, I was lent a 25k dollars machine to sleep with every day, and although I wasn’t in my best condition I had no intention to pull out. In all my years in Bellator I only pulled out of a fight once due to a hand fracture.

Up until Wednesday the fight was 100% on. On Thursday came the doubt as one of the injuries aggravated. I deliberated with my team what to do up to 2am. I decided to test myself on Friday on my last sparring session. And then it became obvious I had no condition to step up in that cage. It’d be a disrespect to me, to the fans, to my opponent and to Bellator.

I’ll have to take 30 days off and then I’ll be able to start training again. I plan to fight in February at the latest and defend my belt against Daniel Weichel.

See you all soon.”

Freire and Weichel met before, in 2015, at Bellator 183. Freire was the winner via second-round knockout. Freire would have entered the rematch off a tetralogy meeting with former champion Daniel Straus – which saw “Pitbull” re-claim the featherweight title. Weichel, in turn, went on a four-fight streak after the loss to Freire.

MMAjunkie was able to confirm with Freire’s camp that, as originally reported by MMAFighting.com, Bellator lightweight Patricky Freire tried to step in for his brother. While Patricio never got to make the trip to Israel, Patricky is there with Pitbull Brothers athlete Luiz Victor Rocha, who fights on the preliminary card.

While the former l55-pound title challenger was willing to either meet Weichel at lightweight or anyone else under a 160-pound catchweight limit, Bellator didn’t take him up on it. Bellator has confirmed that a featherweight meeting between Israel’s Noad Lahat and Jeremiah Labiano is now the night’s main event.

Freire’s camp is now hoping that Rocha’s fight, against Israeli fighter Kirill Medvedovski, will get upgraded to the main card. The promotion, however, hasn’t released a new bout order yet.

For more on Bellator 188, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta New Bellator 196 Headliner Following Injury | MMAWeekly.com

Following an injury to original headliner James Gallagher, Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta has been elevated to the Bellator 196 main event. read news >>

Benson Henderson meets Roger Huerta in new Bellator 196 headliner

Bellator 196’s headliner has received a makeover with Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta now set to close the April 6 card in Budapest. read news >>

With Henderson-Huerta headliner, Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja is Bellator 196's new co-headliner

Bellator 196 has not only a new headliner, but also a new co-headliner: Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja. read news >>

Rory MacDonald still recovering from leg injury, says Bellator has no interest in immediate Lima rematch

Rory MacDonald wants to get back in the Bellator cage to defend his welterweight title sooner rather than later, but he’s still not healthy. read news >>

Bellator champs Darrion Caldwell, Patricio Freire have a doozy of a Twitter beef – and there's a pitbull

Darrion Caldwell and Patricio Freire have their differences, but they share two feelings: a desire to fight in the Bellator cage and disdain for each other’s intellect. read news >>

Bellator 196 headliner James Gallagher building highlight reel early in career

Bellator has pegged James Gallagher as one of its potential future stars. Next month, he’ll headline a Bellator show for the first time. read news >>

Bellator 194 weigh-in highlights video, photos: Heather Hardy, Ana Julaton turn up the heat

Check out our video, photo gallery from the Bellator 194 ceremonial weigh-ins with Matt Mitrione-Roy Nelson and Heather Hardy-Ana Julaton. read news >>

Skidding into UFC-Austin headliner, 'Cowboy' Cerrone now the fighter he once criticized

Donald Cerrone opens up about entering UFC Fight Night 126 in the most precarious position of his storied career. read news >>

An Arizona basketball rivalry game was going on ... then a wild Ryan Bader appeared

Bellator champ Ryan Bader made a surprising appearance at Thursday’s Arizona Wildcats vs. Arizona State Sun Devils college basketball game. read news >>

Bellator 194 play-by-play, official results and live stream (6:30 p.m. ET)

Check out live play-by-play, official results and a preliminary card stream from Bellator 194 in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Video: Before Bellator 194, watch Patricky Freire's 2016 bout with Ryan Couture

Check out the victory that kicked off Bellator vet Patricky Freire’s current 4-1 run. read news >>

If Patricky Freire can't get another Bellator title shot, he'll just keep winning

Patricky “Pitbull” Freire would love a title shot with a victory over Derek Campos, but he’s also prepared to just keep racking up the wins. read news >>

Matt Mitrione: Stipe Miocic still No. 1 heavyweight, no matter who wins Bellator tournament

Don’t expect Matt Mitrione to get a swelled head about his position in the sport if he wins the Bellator heavyweight tournament. read news >>

'King Mo' to corner potential future tourney opponent Roy Nelson tonight at Bellator 194

Despite a possible future tournament showdown, Muhammed Lawal will still corner his friend Roy Nelson against Matt Mitrione tonight at Bellator 194. read news >>

'Bellator 194 Countdown,' No. 2: Headliners Mitrone and Nelson meet Baba Booey

Check out the second episode of “Bellator 194 Countdown” with headliners Matt Mitrione and Roy Nelson. read news >>

Bellator 194 pre-event facts: Patricky 'Pitbull' ties Bellator record for most fights

Check out the facts and figures for Bellator 194, which features a Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione main-event rematch. read news >>

Search for: