An injury has forced Johnny Eduardo (26-9 MMA, 1-1 UFC) out of next week’s UFC 158 event and his bantamweight bout with Yves Jabouin (18-8 MMA, 3-2 UFC).
UFC officials today announced the change, and Eduardo later tweeted that a shoulder injury is to blame.
It’s not clear if a replacement will be sought, though with just 10 days until the event, it could be a challenge.
Featuring a welterweight title fight between champion Georges St-Pierre and former Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz, UFC 158 takes place March 16 at Montreal’s Bell Centre. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
Eduardo vs. Jabouin was slated for the Facebook portion of the card.
Eduardo, a 17-year Brazilian vet, made his long-awaited UFC debut in 2011. He snapped an 11-fight win streak with a decision loss to Raphael Assuncao, but after an injury layoff, he rebounded this past May with a decision victory over Jeff Curran.
The latest UFC 158 card now includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz – for welterweight title
- Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
- Chris Camozzi vs. Nick Ring
- Colin Fletcher vs. Mike Ricci
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker
- Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins
- Jordan Mein vs. Dan Miller
- Daron Cruickshank vs. John Makdessi
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:35 p.m. ET)
- Quinn Mulhern vs. Rick Story
- TJ Dillashaw vs. Issei Tamura
- Reuben Duran vs. George Roop
For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Johnny Eduardo)