#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Hitomi Akano - StrikeforceThe last time mainland American fight fans got to see veteran Japanese fighter Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano was two years ago as part of Strikeforce’s 135-pound women’s grand prix. To Akano, it doesn’t seem like that long ago, though she admits, much has changed since then.

“It’s been two years,” inquired Akano. “I didn’t even realize that tournament was such a long time ago.

“During that time I believe the 135-pound ranking has changed a lot, so in today’s MMA, everything moves very fast.”

While it’s been so long since she’s been on the mainland, Akano fought in Hawaii in a losing effort to Sarah McMann in January.

“Against Sarah I believe I lacked in the offensive department,” said Akano. “After all, I have to attack, and then create a situation where I feel comfortable, and I believe that would lead me to the victory.”

Coincidentally, Akano will be fighting on the undercard of McMann’s next fight at the second installment of Invicta FC on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan. To Akano, having such a veteran fighter in the company is a situation that can be both beneficial to her and the promotion.

“I have to make sure I will be fully prepared, then I have to give everything I got to defeat the opponent, and that is what fighter must do for the promotion,” Akano told MMAWeekly.com.

Akano’s opponent on July 28 will be fellow Strikeforce veteran Alexis Davis. Akano feels she’s analyzed Davis well prior to the bout, but truly won’t know where the two stand skill-wise until afterwards.

“From watching her fights I feel she is very good at positioning herself to an advantage,” said Akano of Davis. “Also, she looks like she has a strong heart.

“In terms of what areas of my game is superior to hers that is something I can analyze after I win this fight.”

At 37 years old, with nearly a decade in the sport, Akano knows she’s in the twilight of her career, but should things go her way on Saturday night, one last run at gold could very well be in her future.

“Considering my age, I feel I cannot continue for a long time, but if I can get an opportunity to fight for the title of course I will go for that,” she said.

“Davis is without a doubt an excellent fighter; therefore I am looking forward to this fight. And I believe this fight will be something fans can feel the heat so please support this fight and Invicta.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

After biggest win of career over 'Cowboy' Cerrone, Darren Till sets sights on 'Wonderboy' Thompson

Following the biggest win of his career in the UFC-Gdansk main event, Darren Till has his eyes on another highly regarded welterweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Rob Font unfazed by Pedro Munhoz's ground game – and might earn his own black belt

Rob Font believes he can find a finish wherever his UFC Fight Night 119 meeting with Pedro Munhoz goes, “but I really want to get that second-round knockout.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Lyoto Machida: This is My Time | MMAWeekly.com

Despite two years on the sidelines, Lyoto Machida believes that his time is now. read news >>

Derek Brunson believes Luke Rockhold puts him 1 fight from title shot

Credit UFC light heavyweight champion and commentator Daniel Cormier for bringing middleweight Derek Brunson out of his shell.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jared Gordon believes he'd have gotten a finish had UFC Fight Night 119 not been in Brazil

Jared Gordon was close to stopping Hacran Dias in the second round at UFC-Sao Paulo. He thinks had it not been in Brazil, he would have.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Admits Moving to Flyweight Would Be ‘the Biggest Challenge in My Fighting Career’

Joanna Jedrzejczyk still has some work to do at strawweight before she decides whether or not to move to 125 pounds. read news >>

Rose Namajunas: 'I Think I Have Way More Skills Than Joanna Jedrzejczyk' | MMAWeekly.com

No. 4 ranked women's strawweight Rose Namajunas believes she has the tools to topple undisputed champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. read news >>

Saad Awad looking for more respect after 15th Bellator fight, knockout of Freeman

Fifteen fights into his Bellator career, lightweight Saad Awad has grown a little tired of being just another fighter. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 186's Ed Ruth: 'Sky's the limit' after big knockout win

Wrestling standout Ed Ruth called his Bellator 186 knockout win “a game-changer” for his MMA career moving forward.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Dustin Poirier trying to move past Alvarez debacle, believes win over Pettis has him in title mix

On the heels of what at the time likely was the biggest opportunity of Dustin Poirier’s career, he has one Saturday that could top it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>