#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Aljamain Sterling #Brett Johns #David Branch #Thiago Santos #Chase Sherman

In his own lane, Chidi Njokuani doesn't care about anyone else ahead of Bellator 182

VERONA, N.Y. – Chidi Njokuani has been cruising along, but in classic fighter style, he says it doesn’t matter who it’s been against, or where.

Njokuani brings an eight-fight winning streak into tongiht’s Bellator 182 main event at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, N.Y. The main card airs on Spike following prelims that stream on MMAjunkie. Included in that mix are wins for RFA on AXS TV, a Tachi Palace Fights title, and most recently four straight for Bellator.

Tonight, Njokuani (17-4 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) gets former welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov (19-2 MMA, 10-2 BMMA), who is fighting for the first time since losing his title. It’s Njokuani’s second straight Bellator main event, which he believes is intentional on his bosses’ part.

“They’re finally seeing what I’m capable of doing,” Njokuani told MMAjunkie. “And they’re finally trying to help boost my career, too, instead of me on my own doing it. It’s nice to have the actual push behind me.”

In January, Njokuani got arguably his biggest win yet, 21 fights into his career, when he beat former UFC standout Melvin Guillard. And though he acknowledges he wasn’t fighting a vintage version of Guillard – “The Young Assassin” has gone just 3-11 the past six years – the experience still proved valuable to him.

“I know he wasn’t the old Melvin, but it was still cool to beat somebody, to fight somebody with a name,” Njokuani said. “Going around, people are constantly asking who I’m fighting, and they have no clue who I’m fighting. Finally, they actually knew who I was about to fight. So that was pretty dope. And getting the experience with a veteran, understanding how they do things differently.”

But tonight, there could be a lot more on the line. A win over Koreshkov, Njokuani believes, ought to put him right up there to be in line for a shot at the welterweight title.

For the record, Njokuani came in heavy for the third straight fight. He weighed in at 175 pounds, which might give the Bellator brass some pause about handing him a title shot without showing he can make the weight first. But before he can worry about that, he needs to get the win – which would be his most quality one yet.

“One hundred percent (I should be in line for a title shot),” Njokuani said. “I (would have) just beat the ex-champ. If it doesn’t, there’s no explanation for that. If I’m fighting the ex-champ, it means it’s either for title contention or, I don’t know – I should be put in that slot afterward. Beating him, that’s a different level. It’s not just another chump. I’m beating someone who actually held the belt.”

And if you’re wondering about some of the other big names in Bellator’s welterweight division right now, like champ Douglas Lima, Rory MacDonald, Michael Page, or even Lorenz Larkin, well …

“I don’t really care about them,” Njokuani said. “I don’t care about nobody else. I’m just doing my thing. I’m not worried about them. They’re not fighting Koreshkov, I am. (Expletive) them. I’m in my own little box. I’m just doing my own thing, and I don’t care about being in the same lane as them unless we’re fighting.”

For more on Bellator 182, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Champ Ryan Bader reveals planned weight for Bellator heavyweight tourney

Ryan Bader competes up a weight class for the first time in his career when he participates in the Bellator Heavyweight World Grand Prix. read news >>

Cheick Kongo returns against Javy Ayala at Bellator 199 in San Jose

A heavyweight bout between Javy Ayala and Cheick Kongo has been added to May’s Bellator 199 lineup. read news >>

Bellator's Muhammed Lawal says belt or no belt, Ryan Bader has been on his radar

Muhammed Lawal would certainly like to get his hands on Ryan Bader’s Bellator light heavyweight title, but that will wait for now. read news >>

Bellator 197's Brandon Girtz on Michael Chandler: 'After I take his soul, I'm in his spot'

Brandon Girtz plans to switch places with Michael Chandler in the pecking order after a win at Bellator 197. read news >>

Bellator 197 staff picks: Is anyone picking against Michael Chandler in his homecoming?

Check out our staff members’ picks for the Bellator 197 main card, which features Michael Chandler vs. Brandon Girtz near St. Louis. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Opens Up on MMA Career, Talks Conor McGregor in Lengthy Interview

Ronda Rousey has been one of the hottest topics in combat sports over the last few days — but not for her upcoming match at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans... read news >>

UFC Fighter Amanda Lemos Suspended 2 Years by USADA for Doping Infraction | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight competitor Amanda Lemos has been suspended two years after testing positive for steroids from an out of competition drug test administered by USADA last year. USADA officials read news >>

Bellator 196's Devon Brock already beat a Gracie; how about 'Baby Slice' next?

Devon Brock is just fine with picking off the family trees of MMA icons. read news >>

James Gallagher wants return at Bellator 200: 'Card won't be complete until I'm on it'

Bellator featherweight prospect James Gallagher is seeking a late-May return to competition, and he knows exactly which card he wants on. read news >>

Former Bellator title challenger Arlene Blencowe puts MMA career on hold for boxing match

Former Bellator title challenger Arlene Blencowe will return to competition next month, but it won’t be in an MMA fight. read news >>

Just 2-0 as pro, Bellator's Tywan Claxton already wants McKee, Pico, Gallagher or Freire

Tywan Claxton has made an impression with back-to-back finishes to kick off his Bellator run, but he’s eager to show there’s more where that came from. read news >>

Ed Ruth gets new Bellator 196 opponent and contracted weight

Ed Ruth has received a new opponent with less than two weeks to go until Bellator 196. read news >>

Sean Grande returns to broadcast booth for 'one night only' at Bellator 196

Bellator fans will hear a recognizable voice on play-by-play duties next month at Bellator 196 when Sean Grande returns for “one night only.” read news >>

Before UFC 223, watch Khabib Nurmagomedov's first UFC knockout win

Khabib Nurmagomedov is undefeated in his six-year UFC tenure, and this was the fight that earned him his first knockout win in the promotion. read news >>

Bellator champ Ryan Bader: Beating Fedor Emelianenko in tourney would be 'ultimate fairytale'

Ryan Bader isn’t certain how Bellator’s heavyweight grand prix is going to play out, but he has an ideal ending. read news >>

ONE Championship 70 highlights: Garry Tonon celebrates pro-debut win with 'The People's Elbow'

Garry Tonon made quite the splash in his pro-MMA debut – in more ways than one – at ONE Championship 70. read news >>

Search for: