#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

Dennis Bermudez sees a lot of similarities between himself and UFC 157 opponent Matt Grice.

Ahead of the Feb. 23 featherweight matchup, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to break down Grice’s game, discuss why he started fighting and much more.

On his interest in MMA: “I never accomplished what I wanted to reach in wrestling. In high school I wanted to be a state champ. I wasn’t that. I didn’t even make it to state. Then going to college, I wanted to go to the national tournament. I wanted to be a national champ. I didn’t even make it to the national tournament. I was ranked very high and I was a freestyle All-American, and those were some of my goals, but that wasn’t the top goal I wanted to reach. I just felt unaccomplished throughout life and then I’d be watching fights and I’d be like, ‘Man, I can beat that guy. I know I can.’”

On whether he watches much MMA: “Believe it or not, I’m actually not a huge fan. I don’t really study too many guys. I actually don’t know too many guys other than the big-name guys or guys that I’ve trained with. I think that helps me a little bit. Because in wrestling, I was such a fan of the sport that I would know people I was about to go up against. It would almost take me down a notch like, ‘Oh man, I know this guy’s good at this.’ Whereas with MMA, I really don’t know too many things about a lot of guys. I just go in there and do my own thing.”

On Grice: “I know Matt is a wrestler who likes to throw hands. It’s kind of like I’m fighting a mirror image of myself, which is exciting. He was a really good wrestler coming out of high school, went into college and got hurt. He didn’t do anything in college and now he came on the scene in the UFC, did well, got cut and now he’s back.”

On losing fights via submission: “I think I just got caught. It’s not that I was getting beat prior to getting submitted or I was tired or anything like that. It was just bad positioning and getting caught.”

On switching gyms after his second loss: “I wasn’t a fan of jiu-jitsu at all. I’d use my wrestling and just beat on guys while they were down and then while I’ve been here at Long Island MMA, we’ve been working on my jiu-jitsu defense. I’m actually pretty hard to submit these days.”

On fighting on the UFC 157 card, which is headlined by Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche: “I’m on a card that’s part of history. It’s going to be the first UFC woman’s fight, and on top of that, they’re headliners. I’m excited about that. I’m going to be part of history. I look at it like that, and the card is stacked.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:07:49).

Comments

Borrachinha sees Hendricks as the first big step towards a title shot

Paulo Borrachinha is preparing for only his third UFC fight, but the responsibility is the same as that of a more established fighter in the organization, as he faces former champion Johny Hendricks read news >>

Aldo's return one of three bouts added to Winnipeg card

The UFC's first featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, begins his road back to the top of the weight class on Dec. 16 when he faces surging contender Ricardo "The Bully" Lamas in a rematch of a 2014 bout read news >>

Dana White Separates Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre in Toronto (UFC 217 Face-Off) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is on a mission to crawl under the skin of Georges St-Pierre. It will have been four years since St-Pierre last fought when he enters the O read news >>

Dana White Wants Tougher Anti-Doping Penalties, but 'It's Not That Simple' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White agrees with the likes of Michael Bisping and Mark Hunt, who are calling for tougher anti-doping violation sanctions. read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Tony Ferguson responds to Conor McGregor with perfect(ly odd) 'Grand Theft Auto' video on Twitter

Tony Ferguson’s video in response to UFC champion Conor McGregor might just blow your mind.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Is CM Punk's return to UFC imminent? He's apparently training like it is

What are the chances CM Punk fights in the UFC before the end of the year?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz 'comfortably retired now,' shuts door on return to fighting

It seems not even a rematch with hated rival Chael Sonnen could lure Tito Ortiz out of retirement.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Does Conor McGregor and Tony Ferguson Twitter Beef Signal Next UFC Lightweight Title Fight? | MMAWeekly.com

While there has been a lot of chatter about Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz, all signs are pointing to Tony Ferguson for the Irishman's first title defense. read news >>

Evan Dunham is a Conor McGregor fan – but if anybody asks, Tony Ferguson is the UFC champ

After fighting Beneil Dariush to a majority draw at UFC 216, lightweight veteran Evan Dunham discusses the difficulties of making his way up in a jammed division.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, U read news >>