#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Venom

After a bit of uncertainty clouded flyweight up and comer Ilima-Lei Macfarlane’s first year in MMA, 2016 ended up being solidifying, as it gave her the confidence to move forward in the sport knowing it was the right choice to pursue it.

Wins in all three of her bouts, including two finishes, really helped Macfarlane see this was the path she wanted to take.

“I think you can see from my first fight in January to my third fight in December how much I grew as a fighter,” Macfarlane told MMAWeekly.com. “I think 2016 was a turning point for me in whether or not I wanted to do this; whether I can see myself fighting. It was definitely a pivotal year for me.”

It is her mindset more so than any technical skill that Macfarlane feels benefited most from 2016.

“I think the biggest change for me was my confidence in myself and my abilities,” she said. “I never really fully accepted myself in fighting because it was never my plan to become a fighter. I didn’t know if it was for me.

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane - Bellator 141 weigh“I thought I might have been a fraud because I didn’t have that burning desire to be a fighter. But last year I gained confidence in my abilities and knew I could do this and be a fighter.”

While her outlook on fighting was the biggest change for Macfarlane, she does feel she was able to improve the skillset she had the least amount of experience in prior to turning to MMA.

“I’m always looking to improve, especially with my striking game,” said Macfarlane. “I had a wrestling background, so I gravitated towards grappling, but it’s striking that I really needed to start thinking about.”

On Friday in Uncasville, Conn., Macfarlane (5-0) will look to retain her perfect record when she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jessica Middleton (2-0) in a main card 125-pound bout.

“She’s the longest, tallest fighter that I’ve ever fought against,” Macfarlane said of Middleton. “She’s also the first Muay Thai practitioner that I’ve fought against. So we’re expecting a lot of kicks and a lot of spinning stuff.

“Even though because I’m very comfortable off my back, that’s not the best situation for the situation like (Middleton) because she can be in your guard and still rain down strikes on you ecause of her length. With someone like her I definitely have to stay on top.”

After Bellator crowned its first 145-pound female champion earlier this year, Macfarlane is looking to become the first woman to hold the promotion’s 125-pound title in 2017.

“The overall goal is to fight for the belt,” said Macfarlane. “Not looking past this fight (vs Middleton) at all, but I would like to fight for the belt this year and win it.”

Comments

Benson Henderson Targets Title Shot After He Deals with Patricky 'Pitbull' | MMAWeekly.com

Benson Henderson is ready to gun for gold again after a brand new champion was crowned in Bellator read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux KO Patrick Cummins (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Ovince Saint Preux improved his record in the UFC to 6-1 after his victory over Patrick Cummins at Fight Night Newark in 2015. read news >>

Bellator 183: Henderson vs. Pitbull Weigh-in Video, Live at 8pm ET | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in for the Bellator 183: Henderson vs. Pitbull weigh-in, Friday at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Paul Daley and Lorenz Larkin Nearly Come to Blows at Bellator 183 Weigh-in (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Paul Daley and Lorenz Larkin's fight almost didn't make it all the way to Bellator's famous flying cage. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami Set an Unfortunate Record in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Unfortunately, UFC Fight Night 117 was a record-setting draw for all the wrong reasons. read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Plans To Put It All Together Against Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 183 | MMAWeekly.com

On September 23, Adam Piccolotti (9-0) will step into the cage for the first time in 10 months when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (21-3) at Bellator 183. read news >>

Roy Nelson Wants a Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament | MMAWeekly.com

Roy Nelson never got the chance to compete in PRIDE Fighting Championships, but he's made no secret that he was a massive fan of the once great mixed martial arts organization. One of the staples of read news >>

Watch the Bellator 183 Prelims, Streaming Live and Free on MMAWeekly.com | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator 183: Henderson vs. Pitbull Prelims stream live and free on MMAWeekly.com. The prelims stream begins at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m PT. read news >>

Patricky Pitbull Edges Out Benson Henderson (Bellator 183 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator MMA cage was in San Jose, Calif. on Saturday as the SAP Center hosted Bellator 183: Henderson vs. Pitbull. Lightweights Benson Henderson and Patricky "Pitbull" Freire headlined the fight read news >>