#Conor McGregor #Cris Cyborg #UFC 211 #Bellator 179 #Angela Magana #Nate Diaz #Rory MacDonald #Paul Daley #UFC 202 #Jon Jones

After a bit of uncertainty clouded flyweight up and comer Ilima-Lei Macfarlane’s first year in MMA, 2016 ended up being solidifying, as it gave her the confidence to move forward in the sport knowing it was the right choice to pursue it.

Wins in all three of her bouts, including two finishes, really helped Macfarlane see this was the path she wanted to take.

“I think you can see from my first fight in January to my third fight in December how much I grew as a fighter,” Macfarlane told MMAWeekly.com. “I think 2016 was a turning point for me in whether or not I wanted to do this; whether I can see myself fighting. It was definitely a pivotal year for me.”

It is her mindset more so than any technical skill that Macfarlane feels benefited most from 2016.

“I think the biggest change for me was my confidence in myself and my abilities,” she said. “I never really fully accepted myself in fighting because it was never my plan to become a fighter. I didn’t know if it was for me.

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane - Bellator 141 weigh“I thought I might have been a fraud because I didn’t have that burning desire to be a fighter. But last year I gained confidence in my abilities and knew I could do this and be a fighter.”

While her outlook on fighting was the biggest change for Macfarlane, she does feel she was able to improve the skillset she had the least amount of experience in prior to turning to MMA.

“I’m always looking to improve, especially with my striking game,” said Macfarlane. “I had a wrestling background, so I gravitated towards grappling, but it’s striking that I really needed to start thinking about.”

On Friday in Uncasville, Conn., Macfarlane (5-0) will look to retain her perfect record when she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jessica Middleton (2-0) in a main card 125-pound bout.

“She’s the longest, tallest fighter that I’ve ever fought against,” Macfarlane said of Middleton. “She’s also the first Muay Thai practitioner that I’ve fought against. So we’re expecting a lot of kicks and a lot of spinning stuff.

“Even though because I’m very comfortable off my back, that’s not the best situation for the situation like (Middleton) because she can be in your guard and still rain down strikes on you ecause of her length. With someone like her I definitely have to stay on top.”

After Bellator crowned its first 145-pound female champion earlier this year, Macfarlane is looking to become the first woman to hold the promotion’s 125-pound title in 2017.

“The overall goal is to fight for the belt,” said Macfarlane. “Not looking past this fight (vs Middleton) at all, but I would like to fight for the belt this year and win it.”

Unbeaten Bobby Lee Hopes for LFA Title Shot with Win Over Jeff Peterson on Friday | MMAWeekly.com

On Friday in Prior Lake, Minnesota, Bobby Lee (6-0) puts his undefeated record on the line against Jeff Peterson (4-3) in a main card 155-pound bout at LFA 12. read news >>

Linton Vassell is Going to Make Liam McGeary 'Pay for Mistakes' at Bellator 179 | MMAWeekly.com

On Friday in London, Linton Vassell (18-5) will take on former Bellator 205-pound champion Liam McGeary (12-1) in the co-main event of Bellator 179. read news >>

Newcomer Agnieszka Niedzwiedz Upsets Vanessa Porto at Invicta FC 23 | MMAWeekly.com

Newcomer Agnieszka Niedzwiedz delayed Vanessa Porto’s championship hopes at Invicta FC 23 on Saturday in Kansas City, Mo. read news >>

Scott Coker Reacts Paul Daley and Michael Page's Scuffle at Bellator 179 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator president Scott Coker addressed the cageside scuffle between Paul Daley and Michael Page at Saturday's Bellator 179 in England. read news >>

'Fat bastard' Linton Vassell banking on finish of Liam McGeary to earn Bellator title shot

LONDON – If there’s any doubt in the mind of Bellator President Scott Coker over whether or not Linton Vassell earned a title shot Friday night, the fighter would love to set him straight.Filed under read news >>

Rory MacDonald Dominates Paul Daley (Bellator 179 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC welterweight title contender Rory MacDonald made his Bellator MMA debut on Friday at SSE Arena in London, England against Paul "Semtex" Daley. read news >>

Bellator 179: Daley vs. MacDonald Fight Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

Rory MacDonald left a lasting impression in his promotional debut at Bellator 179 on Friday in London. Check out the full fight highlights. read news >>

Paul Daley-Rory MacDonald winner gets title shot, Bellator chief Scott Coker says

The winner of Bellator 179’s headliner will have a chance to face the victor of the “Bellator: NYC” clash between champ Douglas Lima and Lorenz Larkin some time between October and November.Filed und read news >>

Bellator 179: Paul Daley vs. Rory MacDonald Media Call Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 179 headliners Paul Daley and Rory MacDonald field question from the media on a pre-fight conference call in the lead-up to their May 19 bout in London. read news >>

Demian Maia Promised UFC Title Shot, but Won't Stress Over It | MMAWeekly.com

Though he was promised a shot at UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, Demian Maia knows better than to stress out over the situation. read news >>