#UFC Fight Night 123 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #UFC 218 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Conor McGregor #GLORY Redemption #Rico Verhoeven #UFC 217 #Joanna Jedrzejczyk #Francis Ngannou

After a bit of uncertainty clouded flyweight up and comer Ilima-Lei Macfarlane’s first year in MMA, 2016 ended up being solidifying, as it gave her the confidence to move forward in the sport knowing it was the right choice to pursue it.

Wins in all three of her bouts, including two finishes, really helped Macfarlane see this was the path she wanted to take.

“I think you can see from my first fight in January to my third fight in December how much I grew as a fighter,” Macfarlane told MMAWeekly.com. “I think 2016 was a turning point for me in whether or not I wanted to do this; whether I can see myself fighting. It was definitely a pivotal year for me.”

It is her mindset more so than any technical skill that Macfarlane feels benefited most from 2016.

“I think the biggest change for me was my confidence in myself and my abilities,” she said. “I never really fully accepted myself in fighting because it was never my plan to become a fighter. I didn’t know if it was for me.

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane - Bellator 141 weigh“I thought I might have been a fraud because I didn’t have that burning desire to be a fighter. But last year I gained confidence in my abilities and knew I could do this and be a fighter.”

While her outlook on fighting was the biggest change for Macfarlane, she does feel she was able to improve the skillset she had the least amount of experience in prior to turning to MMA.

“I’m always looking to improve, especially with my striking game,” said Macfarlane. “I had a wrestling background, so I gravitated towards grappling, but it’s striking that I really needed to start thinking about.”

On Friday in Uncasville, Conn., Macfarlane (5-0) will look to retain her perfect record when she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jessica Middleton (2-0) in a main card 125-pound bout.

“She’s the longest, tallest fighter that I’ve ever fought against,” Macfarlane said of Middleton. “She’s also the first Muay Thai practitioner that I’ve fought against. So we’re expecting a lot of kicks and a lot of spinning stuff.

“Even though because I’m very comfortable off my back, that’s not the best situation for the situation like (Middleton) because she can be in your guard and still rain down strikes on you ecause of her length. With someone like her I definitely have to stay on top.”

After Bellator crowned its first 145-pound female champion earlier this year, Macfarlane is looking to become the first woman to hold the promotion’s 125-pound title in 2017.

“The overall goal is to fight for the belt,” said Macfarlane. “Not looking past this fight (vs Middleton) at all, but I would like to fight for the belt this year and win it.”

Comments

Dustin Poirier Sees His Path to UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier talks about his third-round finish of former champion Anthony Pettis following UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Pissed Off the Wrong Official | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Conor McGregor's transgressions at Bellator 187 and how it might be more serious than it is entertainment. read news >>

Former WWE Superstar Jack Swagger Inks Multi-Fight Deal with Bellator MMA | MMAWeekly.com

Former WWE superstar Jack Swagger — his real name is Jake Hager — will be transitioning into mixed martial arts after inking a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA. Hager made the announcement on Monda read news >>

Injury Forces Bellator to Swap Israel Main Event on Short Notice | MMAWeekly.com

For the second even in a row, Bellator has had to make a quick shift to its main event. read news >>

Bellator 187 Fight Highlights from AJ McKee's Hard-Fought Victory in Dublin | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full event highlights from Bellator 187, where rising star AJ McKee battled through one of the toughest fights of his career in Dublin, Ireland. read news >>

Conor McGregor Expresses No Remorse for Incident at Bellator in Now Deleted Post | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor explained what happened in Dublin after he leapt into the cage during a Bellator event on Friday read news >>

Bellator 188 pre-event facts: Can John Salter overtake middleweight submission record?

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes about Bellator 188, which features a Noah Lahat vs. Haim Gozali main event.Filed under: News read news >>

John Salter Questions Bellator 188 Opponent Jason Radcliffe's Chin | MMAWeekly.com

John Salter (14-3) turns his attention towards facing Jason Radcliffe (12-4) in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 188 in Tel Aviv, Israel. read news >>

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

John Salter Scores Quick Submission to Extend Winning Streak (Bellator 188 Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

John Salter extended his winning streak by submitting Jason Radcliffe at Bellator 188 and continues to ascend toward the top of the middleweight division. read news >>