#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #FNG #Donald Cerrone #Daniel Cormier #Yancy Medeiros #UFC 221 #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Hopes Bellator 178 Leads to a Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

After a bit of uncertainty clouded flyweight up and comer Ilima-Lei Macfarlane’s first year in MMA, 2016 ended up being solidifying, as it gave her the confidence to move forward in the sport knowing it was the right choice to pursue it.

Wins in all three of her bouts, including two finishes, really helped Macfarlane see this was the path she wanted to take.

“I think you can see from my first fight in January to my third fight in December how much I grew as a fighter,” Macfarlane told MMAWeekly.com. “I think 2016 was a turning point for me in whether or not I wanted to do this; whether I can see myself fighting. It was definitely a pivotal year for me.”

It is her mindset more so than any technical skill that Macfarlane feels benefited most from 2016.

“I think the biggest change for me was my confidence in myself and my abilities,” she said. “I never really fully accepted myself in fighting because it was never my plan to become a fighter. I didn’t know if it was for me.

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane - Bellator 141 weigh“I thought I might have been a fraud because I didn’t have that burning desire to be a fighter. But last year I gained confidence in my abilities and knew I could do this and be a fighter.”

While her outlook on fighting was the biggest change for Macfarlane, she does feel she was able to improve the skillset she had the least amount of experience in prior to turning to MMA.

“I’m always looking to improve, especially with my striking game,” said Macfarlane. “I had a wrestling background, so I gravitated towards grappling, but it’s striking that I really needed to start thinking about.”

On Friday in Uncasville, Conn., Macfarlane (5-0) will look to retain her perfect record when she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jessica Middleton (2-0) in a main card 125-pound bout.

“She’s the longest, tallest fighter that I’ve ever fought against,” Macfarlane said of Middleton. “She’s also the first Muay Thai practitioner that I’ve fought against. So we’re expecting a lot of kicks and a lot of spinning stuff.

“Even though because I’m very comfortable off my back, that’s not the best situation for the situation like (Middleton) because she can be in your guard and still rain down strikes on you ecause of her length. With someone like her I definitely have to stay on top.”

After Bellator crowned its first 145-pound female champion earlier this year, Macfarlane is looking to become the first woman to hold the promotion’s 125-pound title in 2017.

“The overall goal is to fight for the belt,” said Macfarlane. “Not looking past this fight (vs Middleton) at all, but I would like to fight for the belt this year and win it.”

Comments

Colby Covington Goes Full Donald Trump in Latest Interview | MMAWeekly.com

No. 3 ranked welterweight contender Colby Covington wants a title shot against champion Tyron Woodley and is out on the campaign trail trying to get it. read news >>

Lorenz Larkin Explains How He Plans to Break Out of His Bellator Slump | MMAWeekly.com

Lorenz Larkin definitely didn't plan on starting his Bellator MMA career on two straight losses but he's also not letting that get him down. As a high profile free agency signing for Bellator last ye read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Plans to Make Conor McGregor Earn Title Shot after UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov says that he will be fighting for the undisputed title at UFC 223 but if Conor McGregor wants a shot, he's going to have to get in line. read news >>

Dana White: Referee Mario Yamasaki 'Should Never Set Foot in the Octagon Again' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White hopes referee Mario Yamasaki never sets foot in the octagon again after not stopping the UFC Fight Night 125 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

Lorenz Larkin Gets First Bellator Win (Bellator 193 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator MMA cage was at Pechanga Resort and Casino in Temecula, California on Friday for Bellator 193. It was the promotion's second event of 2018 and was headlined by a catchweight bout between read news >>

Bellator 193 Fight Highlights: Lorenz Larkin Routes Fernando Gonzalez | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 193 was the promotion’s second event of 2018 and was headlined by a catchweight bout between Lorenz Larkin and Fernando Gonzalez. read news >>

Rampage vs. Sonnen Gave Bellator a Strong Start on Paramount Network | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator and Paramount Network officials were heavily criticized when they flip-flopped the Bellator 192 main event, but it appears to have paid off. read news >>

Bellator 194: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione (Countdown, Episode 1) | MMAWeekly.com

Take an in-depth look at Bellator 194, which features a Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal match-up pitting Roy Nelson against Matt Mitrione. read news >>

Former Bellator Champ Liam McGeary Returns with Revamped Toolset | MMAWeekly.com

Former Bellator champ Liam McGeary has been sidelined for nearly a year, so he has a few surprises in store for Bellator 194 on Friday. read news >>

Stuck with undesired rematch, Bellator 194's Patricky Freire wants fans to demand his title shot

A rematch wasn’t high on Patricky Freire’s list coming off back-to-back wins over Josh Thomson and Benson Henderson. But he’s done complaining about his career. read news >>