#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Aljamain Sterling #Brett Johns #David Branch

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Hopes Bellator 178 Leads to a Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

After a bit of uncertainty clouded flyweight up and comer Ilima-Lei Macfarlane’s first year in MMA, 2016 ended up being solidifying, as it gave her the confidence to move forward in the sport knowing it was the right choice to pursue it.

Wins in all three of her bouts, including two finishes, really helped Macfarlane see this was the path she wanted to take.

“I think you can see from my first fight in January to my third fight in December how much I grew as a fighter,” Macfarlane told MMAWeekly.com. “I think 2016 was a turning point for me in whether or not I wanted to do this; whether I can see myself fighting. It was definitely a pivotal year for me.”

It is her mindset more so than any technical skill that Macfarlane feels benefited most from 2016.

“I think the biggest change for me was my confidence in myself and my abilities,” she said. “I never really fully accepted myself in fighting because it was never my plan to become a fighter. I didn’t know if it was for me.

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane - Bellator 141 weigh“I thought I might have been a fraud because I didn’t have that burning desire to be a fighter. But last year I gained confidence in my abilities and knew I could do this and be a fighter.”

While her outlook on fighting was the biggest change for Macfarlane, she does feel she was able to improve the skillset she had the least amount of experience in prior to turning to MMA.

“I’m always looking to improve, especially with my striking game,” said Macfarlane. “I had a wrestling background, so I gravitated towards grappling, but it’s striking that I really needed to start thinking about.”

On Friday in Uncasville, Conn., Macfarlane (5-0) will look to retain her perfect record when she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jessica Middleton (2-0) in a main card 125-pound bout.

“She’s the longest, tallest fighter that I’ve ever fought against,” Macfarlane said of Middleton. “She’s also the first Muay Thai practitioner that I’ve fought against. So we’re expecting a lot of kicks and a lot of spinning stuff.

“Even though because I’m very comfortable off my back, that’s not the best situation for the situation like (Middleton) because she can be in your guard and still rain down strikes on you ecause of her length. With someone like her I definitely have to stay on top.”

After Bellator crowned its first 145-pound female champion earlier this year, Macfarlane is looking to become the first woman to hold the promotion’s 125-pound title in 2017.

“The overall goal is to fight for the belt,” said Macfarlane. “Not looking past this fight (vs Middleton) at all, but I would like to fight for the belt this year and win it.”

Comments

Flyweight Champ Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Makes First Defense at Bellator 201 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. for Bellator 201 on Friday, June 29. The card will be headlined by the San Diego-based Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (7-0), who defends her undef read news >>

Kevin Nowaczyk Hopes a Win at Victory FC 60 Leads to 'Somewhere Big' | MMAWeekly.com

On Saturday in Hammond, Ind., Kevin Nowaczyk (19-3) will take on Andrew Kapel (12-6) in the 185-pound main event of Victory FC 60. read news >>

Bellator 196: Benson Henderson - In Focus | MMAWeekly.com

Get to know Benson "Smooth" Henderson before he headlines Bellator 196 on April 6 against Roger Huerta. read news >>

Invicta FC 28 Results & Highlights: Virna Jandiroba Pounds Her Way to Title | MMAWeekly.com

Brazilian Virna Jandiroba kept her undefeated record intact and picked up the vacant Invicta FC strawweight championship in the Invicta FC 28 main event by defeating Mizuki Inoue. read news >>

Mohd Fakhrul Izzat Improves Stellar Amateur Record at MIMMA Grand Finals | MMAWeekly.com

The Malaysian Invasion MMA (MIMMA) Grand Finals took place at Stadium Juara in Kuala Lumpur on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 196 and Bellator Kickboxing 9 Fight Cards Finalized | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator has announced completed cards for both Bellator 196 and Bellator Kickboxing 9, which take place this Friday, April 6 at BOK Hall in Budapest, Hungary. read news >>

Champ Ilima Macfarlane headlines Bellator 201 vs. Alejandra Lara; Valerie Letourneau-Bruna Ellen also on card

Champ Ilima Macfarlane and former UFC title challenger Valerie Letourneau are both fighting at Bellator 201. But not against each other. read news >>

Ahead of first title defense, watch how Bellator 201's Ilima Macfarlane won the belt

Ilima Macfarlane will be back this summer to defend her Bellator women’s flyweight title for the first time. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov: 'I Have To Win This Belt' (UFC 223 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

After amassing a 25-0 professional record, Khabib Nurmagomedov is just one win away from becoming the UFC lightweight champion. read news >>

Ed Ruth Believes 'Conditioning Will Play A Big Part at Bellator 196 Against Ion Pascu | MMAWeekly.com

Ed Ruth (4-0) will look to further showcase his development in his first fight of 2018 at Bellator 196 in Budapest, Hungary, against veteran Ion Pascu (17-7). read news >>

Nate Andrews Hopes a CES 49 Win Will Pave the Way to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Andrews (12-1) will square off against Chris Padilla (9-3) in a 155-pound championship main card bout at CES 49 on Friday in Lincoln, R.I. read news >>

Benson Henderson Submits Roger Huerta (Bellator 196 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator cage was in Budapest, Hungary on Friday for Bellator 196 headlined by former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and veteran Roger Huerta. read news >>

Conor McGregor Rampage Leads to His Coach Being Banned at UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor going ballistic at Thursday's UFC 223 Media Day led not only to him being banned from Barclays Arena on Saturday, but his entire crew, including at least two of his coaches. read news >>

Bobby Lashley Remains Under Contract to Bellator Despite Return to WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Bobby Lashley returned to WWE for the first time in 10 years on Monday night but that doesn't mean his fighting career is finished. The 41-year old heavyweight had been performing in Impact Wrestling read news >>

Bellator Rome Features Patricio Pitbull vs. Daniel Weichel Featherweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator is primed for a summer return to Italy, this time in the country's capital city of Rome at the Il Centrale Live Roma – Foro Italico on Saturday, July 14. In a double main event, the card see read news >>

Bellator 197 pre-event facts: Michael Chandler can take sole possession of Bellator wins record

Check out the facts, figures and footnotes about Bellator 197, which features a Michael Chandler vs. Brandon Girtz lightweight headliner. read news >>

Search for: