#UFC 214 #Jon Jones #Daniel Cormier #Conor McGregor #Robbie Lawler #Tyron Woodley #Cris Cyborg #Nate Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Demian Maia #Floyd Mayweather #Alexander Gustafsson #UFC 202 #Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2017

After a bit of uncertainty clouded flyweight up and comer Ilima-Lei Macfarlane’s first year in MMA, 2016 ended up being solidifying, as it gave her the confidence to move forward in the sport knowing it was the right choice to pursue it.

Wins in all three of her bouts, including two finishes, really helped Macfarlane see this was the path she wanted to take.

“I think you can see from my first fight in January to my third fight in December how much I grew as a fighter,” Macfarlane told MMAWeekly.com. “I think 2016 was a turning point for me in whether or not I wanted to do this; whether I can see myself fighting. It was definitely a pivotal year for me.”

It is her mindset more so than any technical skill that Macfarlane feels benefited most from 2016.

“I think the biggest change for me was my confidence in myself and my abilities,” she said. “I never really fully accepted myself in fighting because it was never my plan to become a fighter. I didn’t know if it was for me.

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane - Bellator 141 weigh“I thought I might have been a fraud because I didn’t have that burning desire to be a fighter. But last year I gained confidence in my abilities and knew I could do this and be a fighter.”

While her outlook on fighting was the biggest change for Macfarlane, she does feel she was able to improve the skillset she had the least amount of experience in prior to turning to MMA.

“I’m always looking to improve, especially with my striking game,” said Macfarlane. “I had a wrestling background, so I gravitated towards grappling, but it’s striking that I really needed to start thinking about.”

On Friday in Uncasville, Conn., Macfarlane (5-0) will look to retain her perfect record when she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jessica Middleton (2-0) in a main card 125-pound bout.

“She’s the longest, tallest fighter that I’ve ever fought against,” Macfarlane said of Middleton. “She’s also the first Muay Thai practitioner that I’ve fought against. So we’re expecting a lot of kicks and a lot of spinning stuff.

“Even though because I’m very comfortable off my back, that’s not the best situation for the situation like (Middleton) because she can be in your guard and still rain down strikes on you ecause of her length. With someone like her I definitely have to stay on top.”

After Bellator crowned its first 145-pound female champion earlier this year, Macfarlane is looking to become the first woman to hold the promotion’s 125-pound title in 2017.

“The overall goal is to fight for the belt,” said Macfarlane. “Not looking past this fight (vs Middleton) at all, but I would like to fight for the belt this year and win it.”

Comments

Robbie Lawler and Donald Cerrone Weigh In on Georges St-Pierre Getting Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Donald Cerrone weigh in on Georges St-Pierre getting a title shot in his UFC return. read news >>

Monster Energy Bellator MMA Fight Series Heads to Bristol Motor Speedway | MMAWeekly.com

Following the successful debut of the Monster Energy Bellator MMA Fight Series at the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race in May, the series returns on Aug. 19. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Believes Chuck Liddell Will Be His Next Bellator Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen is fanning the flames of a Chuck Liddell return, saying that he believes his next Bellator fight will be against the Iceman. read news >>

Jon Jones Still Wants Brock Lesnar But He's Probably Not Next | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones still has hopes to score a super fight with former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, but he's also realistic about when that matchup could happen. Immediately after knocking out Daniel read news >>

Gilbert Melendez Hopes Conor McGregor Doesn't 'Get Completely Embarrassed' Against Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

Former Strikeforce lightweight champion and current UFC fighter Gilbert Melendez wants Conor McGregor to be successful against Floyd Mayweather. read news >>

Former UFC Champ Frank Mir Agrees to Multi-Fight Deal with Bellator MMA | MMAWeekly.com

For the first time in nearly two decades, Frank Mir will fight someone other than the UFC Octagon. The former heavyweight champion has agreed to terms on a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA with Mir read news >>

Ryan Bader Faces Linton Vassell in First Bellator Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

In the main event of Bellator 186, newly crowned light heavyweight champ Ryan Bader will make his first title defense against British sensation Linton Vassell. read news >>

Dustin Ortiz's Record-Setting KO Pays Off (UFC Mexico City Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

There was no shortage of exciting finishes for officials to choose from when it came to the UFC Fight Night 114 post-fight bonuses on Saturday in Mexico City. While there were a few exciting fights t read news >>

Nick Gehrts Expecting Tough Test Against Ken Beverly at Bellator Monster Energy Fight Series | MMAWeekly.com

• 23 hours ago

Nick Gehrts will take on Ken Beverly in a main card 155-pound bout as part of Bellator’s show on Saturday during the NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series race. read news >>

Sergio Pettis Not Sure if He'll Get a Title Shot, but He'll Be Ready | MMAWeekly.com

Sergio Pettis positioned himself at the top of the flyweight division with his win over Brandon Moreno. Hear his thoughts on the fight. read news >>