#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Nate Diaz #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #GGG #Jon Jones

Jake Ellenberger didn’t come out swinging in his win over Jay Hieron at UFC on FX 5 because he figured that was exactly what Hieron expected him to do.

“Me and Jay, we’ve fought before and I’ve actually trained at Xtreme Couture quite a bit,” Ellenberger told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They’re all very familiar with me. I feel they were expecting me to come in hard and a little bit reckless like I did with [Martin] Kampmann. I knew I had to be a little smarter and not expose myself as much as I did in my last fight.”

In that June bout against Kampmann, who is a teammate of Hieron’s at Xtreme Couture, Ellenberger hurt his opponent in the opening round but ate a big knee and was stopped in the second. The defeat made an impact on Ellenberger.

“I kind of realized how important having a tight defense is,” he said. “When you’re really offensive, like I normally am, at the same time it leaves you vulnerable. You’re exposed. That’s when you’re most vulnerable for getting caught or a submission. I had to stay smart. I didn’t want to just go beefcake-meathead style like usual and potentially get caught or something crazy.”

The strategy worked, as Ellenberger earned a unanimous decision (29-28 on all three cards). In victory, he avenged a June 2006 loss to Hieron, which was nice but not really one of his main motivating factors.

“When I lost to Jay, I was young,” Ellenberger said. “To be honest, that wasn’t the hardest thing to swallow -- it was when I lost to Kampmann. [The Kampmann loss] really didn’t sit well with me because I know my potential. I know I can beat him. Just the way it ended -- it was really, really unsettling for me. It kind of makes you realize how hungry, how much you really want something.”

Ellenberger had won six in a row before losing to Kampmann. Now he’s started what could be another win streak, and he’s hoping with another two or three victories, he’ll be back in the title hunt. Until then, there’s no doubt in his mind whom he would like to fight next.

“It would be Martin Kampmann,” Ellenberger said. “No question.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 13:09).

Comments

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 'Money Fight' gets Saturday replay on Showtime

If you didn’t shell out the nearly $100 for “The Money Fight” on Saturday, you’ll have a chance to catch a replay at the end of the week.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's coaches, teammates react to Floyd Mayweather loss

Conor McGregor didn’t get the job done against Floyd Mayweather, but his solid effort was still a prideful moment for coaches and teammates.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo: No moral victory for Conor McGregor in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

Jose Aldo says he didn’t even watch “The Money Fight” but wasn’t surprised – or impressed – when he heard about how it ended.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

This PRIDE-tastic edit of Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor will give you nostalgia chills

Behold, the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor edit that you didn’t know you needed, which also makes you realize how well this fight would have fit in with the overall aesthetic of Japan’s now defu read news >>

UFC 215 results: Kajan Johnson right hand stuns Adriano Martins

Following nearly two years away from the cage, Kajan Johnson didn’t exactly impress for two rounds but eventually scored a highlight-reel finish of Adriano Martins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A breakdown of Mayweather vs. McGregor ticket sales revenue

The hottest ticket for “The Money Fight” was $5,000, although it didn’t necessarily sell at that price.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Anthony Smith starts slow but blasts Hector Lombard in 3rd

Anthony Smith didn’t exactly inspire for the opening two rounds of his clash with Hector Lombard, but he turned it on in the third.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>