#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Gokhan Saki #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Conor McGregor #Saint Preux #UFC Fight Night 83

As World Series of Fighting continues to build its welterweight division, Josh Burkman is hoping to stake his claim for a title shot by beating Aaron Simpson on March 23 at WSOF 2. The event's undercard will stream live and free on Sherdog.com.

Burkman recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the promotion, Simpson, Jon Fitch and more.

On signing with WSOF: “I was in talks with the UFC after I fought Jamie Yager. Joe Silva, I’ve always had a really good relationship with him and Dana White. They’ve always treated me good, so it was nothing against the UFC. It was just the UFC, they were trying to find a spot for me and that spot really didn’t open up. I had guys at my gym -- Brock Jardine, Steven Siler, Ramsey Nijem -- they’re all in the UFC and they were all just waiting for fights and waiting for fights and wanting to get fights. Then also the UFC had just bought Strikeforce. Joe Silva said, ‘You know, I’ve still got to cut 100 fighters, Josh.’ Then I got a call from Ali [Abdel-Aziz], the matchmaker of the World Series of Fighting, and the fight came up with Gerald Harris and I was having a tough time finding quality opponents and fights. That’s kind of what I needed at this point in my career. I sat and talked with Ali for a little while, and it just felt like the right move to do. At that point I had a little boy on the way. I just wanted something a little more stable than just fighting from show to show.”

On Simpson: “Aaron Simpson being cut from the UFC was probably a little premature, but at the same time, they’ve got these guys coming off “The Ultimate Fighter.” They’re paying them less. You’ve got to get rid of the veterans to want more money. I think that this is going to let everybody know where Aaron Simpson’s at. I feel like I’m getting better every fight. I’m excited I’m getting good opponents now that are really challenging me. I think this will kind of let everybody know where Aaron Simpson’s at and where I’m at.”

On how the fight could play out: “I think me and Aaron Simpson will be able to make this an exciting fight one way or another. I don’t mind fighting the wrestlers. I think that brings out the wrestling in me. With Gerald Harris, I thought I was going to have to fight the majority of that fight off my back. I didn’t have to go there too much. With Aaron Simpson, I don’t know. He’s a great wrestler, and we’ll kind of just have to see whether he tries to use his wrestling, whether he tries to use his standup, where that fight goes.”

On Fitch, whom WSOF recently signed, and a title shot: “My plan is to prove to everybody that I deserve to be at the top of the division in the World Series of Fighting. With Aaron Simpson, I think that kind of puts me on that path. I think the winner of this fight deserves a title shot. I think that Jon Fitch is in line there too, but I don’t think anybody should get cut from an organization and come off a loss and fight for a title. I think that they need to give Jon Fitch a fight and I think that the winner of that fight needs to fight the winner of this fight for the World Series of Fighting title.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:27:47).

Comments

Nick Newell, Former WSOF Title Challenger, Returns from Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Former World Series of Fighting lightweight championship challenger Nick Newell has ended a two-year retirement to return to the cage. read news >>

Relive Blagoy Ivanov's Quick Finish of Shawn Jordan at WSOF 35 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF35 featured a heavyweight championship main event between reigning kingpin Blagoy Ivanov (14-1) and No. 1 contender Shawn “Savage” Jordan (19-7). read news >>

Watch David Branch Get the Better of Krzysztof Jotko (UFC Pittsburgh Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out former World Series of Fighting dual-division champ David Branch's return to the Octagon, as he bested Krzysztof Jotko at UFC 211. read news >>

David Branch ready for step up in competition vs. Luke Rockhold at UFC Fight Night 116

For former WSOF two-division champ David Branch, fighting ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold is just another day at the office.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sports Illustrated ranks top 50 fittest athletes, and Conor McGregor somehow beats Demetrious Johnson

• a day ago

Sports Illustrated ranked the fittest athletes in sports. MMA had six total athletes on the separate lists for women and men.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Jessica Andrade beats up Claudia Gadelha in bloody battle

• 14 hours ago

Claudia Gadelha only had lost to strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk before Friday. Then Jessica Andrade came into her life. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 182 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Beats Anthony Njokuani in Main Event

Andrey Koreshkov defeated Anthony Njokuani via first-round TKO Friday night in Bellator 182's main event at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York, to further bolster his case as one of the read news >>

If Conor McGregor Wins, Vegas Loses Millions | MMAWeekly.com

What if? What if Conor McGregor does the unthinkable and beats 49-0 boxer Floyd Mayweather on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena? Sure, McGregor's stock will sore and Mayweather's legacy as one of the read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Undercard: Ugas Beats Dulorme by Decision in Main Bout

Before Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor could take center stage inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, fans were treated to a quartet of fights as part of the undercard. Thomas Dulorme and Yorden read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Beats Conor McGregor by 10th-Round TKO in Megafight

Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked up the 50th win of his illustrious career, defeating Conor McGregor by 10th-round TKO on Saturday night in Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena. With the victory, Mayweather surpasse read news >>