The waiting game for a fighter is sometimes the toughest spot in the world to sit in, but Martin Kampmann is completely okay with that right now.

The battle tested welterweight is coming off two hard fought wars in recent months in which he submitted Thiago Alves and then knocked out Jake Ellenberger, putting him in prime position as a top contender in the welterweight division.

The only problem is everyone is still waiting on word from UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre that he’ll officially be ready to return in November and face interim champion Carlos Condit at UFC 154.

If that happens, Kampmann will face Johny Hendricks on the same card in November, with the winner getting a shot at the title.

Right now, however, after a busy start to 2012, Kampmann is ready to deal with a few nagging injuries and spend some much needed time with his family.

“I’m looking forward just to taking some time off and come home and see the family, and heal up. Then when I come back, I’ll be 100-percent and back in hard training mode,” Kampmann told MMAWeekly Radio after his win at The Ultimate Fighter Finale.

Kampmann just underwent minor knee surgery to clean up some problems he’s had for his last few fights in the Octagon, and then he’s headed home to Denmark for an entire month to see his friends and family.

Upon his return, Kampmann will be ready to conquer whatever challenge the UFC puts in front of him.

The most notable match-up would be a shot at the UFC welterweight title, and if Georges St-Pierre won’t be ready by November, interim champ Carlos Condit has stated he would gladly face Kampmann instead.

See, Kampmann welcomed Condit to the UFC back in April 2009 and proceeded to hand the former WEC champion a split decision loss, which stands as his only defeat inside the Octagon.

Kampmann knows Condit wants a rematch, and if it just so happens that there’s a title on the line, all the much better.

“Sounds great to me, I’m down, I want to fight Carlos. I want to get that title,” Kampmann said.

“Carlos, he wants that rematch; he’s told me so himself. Of course now that he’s got the belt, I’d be more than happy to give it to him. It’s a perfect opportunity for me to step in.”

The unfortunate side of this whole scenario is that it’s all predicated on St-Pierre’s presumable return. If he’s healthy and ready to go by November, he’ll face Condit in a title unification bout.

If he’s not ready, Kampmann is more than ready to step in against Condit, but his opinion doesn’t matter, and neither does Condit’s in the big picture.

It’s all up to the UFC.

“I can’t do much besides waiting and heal up,” said Kampmann. “If it’s a title fight, I’ll take that on any day. I can’t do much, I can’t change stuff how everything’s going to go in the UFC. The UFC makes all the decisions in the end.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC's Kelvin Gastelum bothered by weight doubts but admits 'I've brought it onto myself'

Happy with the headliner spot opposite “legend” Vitor Belfort in Brazil, Kelvin Gastelum says his future as far as weight divisions go is riding on one simple factor: “I want a fight that will get me read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Jon Jones Likely to Face Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson Winner, Says Dana White

Jon Jones may have a nice gift waiting for him when he comes back from his yearlong suspension: a UFC light heavyweight championship fight. In an interview on the UFC Unfiltered podcast (h/t FoxSport read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Chas Skelly wants spot on UFC 211, promises screaming fans in sleeveless shirts

HOUSTON – After a dominant display at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event, Chas Skelly warned his featherweight colleagues: “These guys don’t understand they need to fight me now because I’m improvi read news >>

Now-healthy Felice Herrig wants Paige VanZant rematch to see who's better: 'I believe it's me'

UFC Fight Night 104 winner Felice Herrig explains why she wants to avenge her setback to Paige VanZant in spite of the fact that she's coming off a loss: "I want to show people that that Paige VanZan read news >>

Aldo vs. Holloway headlines UFC 212 in Rio

The featherweight fight the world has been waiting for is coming to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Saturday, June 3, as Jose Aldo and Max Holloway unify the 145-pound crown in the main event of UFC 212. read news >>

Twitter reacts: MMA community celebrates Valentine's Day on social media

It’s another Valentine’s Day, and despite being some of the toughest and most tenacious characters in all of sports, MMA fighters are hardly immune to celebration.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Once more with feeling, Fedor; plus GSP's UFC return and more

Is Fedor Emelianenko the biggest “diva” in MMA history? Should Germaine de Randamie set her sights on the Invicta featherweight champ? Could Derrick Lewis be headed for a showdown with Francis Nganno read news >>

Cage Warriors 80 results: Karl Amoussou takes vacant 170-pound title, makes case for UFC spot

After making quick work of Matt Inman to add a seventh finish to his current streak, newly crowned Cage Warriors champ Karl Amoussou made a clear statement with a “Hey UFC, it’s time” shirt.Filed und read news >>